Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doigts2fee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
Hi everyone!

I would need some help to complete my sound configuration in my (big) living room.

I am now mostly listening my music through Airplay, one my hi if amplifier and speakers connected to an airport express. My problem is that they are on one side of the room and I have nothing on the other side.

I would like to fill that gap and put 2 speakers there, but I am not sure what to go for, either airplay speakers or 'normal' speakers with another airport express to be able to play them airplay..
My criteria:
- I want to be able to play these 2 speakers either alone or together with my hi fi (not
- sound quality of course
- I don't want huge speakers

I hope you will be able to help me!
thanks a lot

Anne

Doigts2fee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
I don't need a dock so if B&W I my rather go for the A5
My big question with any airplay speakers is whether I will be able to play them together with my hifi speakers... I tend to think that I would have to select one or the other which is what I don't want
It is not super urgent and I would prefer to pay the price rather than compromise on quality. First thought I would say 800$?

mpress03

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
I have 7 Airport Expresses scattered around home and all of them have speakers connected. I went this route because at anytime I can swap out speakers and amps. If a speaker/amp quits or I want something different, I can easily add/replace with something else. If an AirPlay enable speaker system goes out, it is usually more costly to replace. I found that purchasing the setup I want and just spending the $99 (or less if you get an older model) on an Express was actually cheaper.

All of these can play at the same time in sync as well, which is really nice. There is the added benefit that AirPort Expresses can also act as extenders if you have an AirPort Extreme. Its always a tough decision at first because you don't want to be replacing things down the line. With the AirPort Expresses, you can replace the system attached to whenever you feel. Hope this helps and good luck with your new setup.

chasemac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2005
In a house.
Just like above..If your using iTunes then get another airport express to hook your speakers up to. You can toggle each set on or off or together. You will need another amp to hook your other speakers to the new airport express. That's how I do it anyway.

Doigts2fee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
Thanks a lot for your very helpful answers!
That's kind of what I thought, the 'airport expresses' configuration offers a lot more flexibility, I'll go for that. I think at some places in my flat I'll have powered speakers, and at some other places like the other side of my living room I'll go for an amp/speakers.
Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.