Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bounou

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
So I want to get a microphone for my Mac.

I have little experience with microphones honestly, looking to get something goood that will give much better sound quality then the built in microphone on my Thunderbolt Display.

Mostly use it for FaceTime, Skype, dictation and some audio recording.

Needs to be in the 100$-200$ range asi am unwilling to spend more for a microphone.

Anyone have anything they can recommend?

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
That is a lot of money for a Mic for that sort of thing.

Go to BH Photo web site or Sweetware.com and take a look. Basically any mic works for what you want.

Make it hypercardiode, that means very directional, so it will reject the noise around. You can look too for a head set.

So I want to get a microphone for my Mac.

I have little experience with microphones honestly, looking to get something goood that will give much better sound quality then the built in microphone on my Thunderbolt Display.

Mostly use it for FaceTime, Skype, dictation and some audio recording.

Needs to be in the 100$-200$ range asi am unwilling to spend more for a microphone.

Anyone have anything they can recommend?

Aloha b,

Try this:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/VocalStudioProNew.html
Good Luck!
{'-'}

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I'm starting to use Skype a bit more. I used to think that "any microphone will do" but know better now. Pick the app that you're using the most and check for certification - MS's Skype portal lists several devices with microphones that are certified with their app. I settled for the Plantronics H800, a wireless headphone/mic and it's pretty good. I use it for dictation and transcribing text on my Mac and my iPhone, for phone calls, and Facetime calls.

My business partner brought his Cisco-certified microphone to work and it just didn't work with Skype very well. The H800 didn't sound very good on his Cisco device when I used it. Each app, like Skype, Oovoo, and the Cisco app uses their own vocodor. The H800 was $65 at Best Buy - a cheap but effective device that works great on my Mac and iOS Skype apps. Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.