Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DisneyRicky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Northern California
Hello!

Last year I used a MacBook Air for my junior year of class, and was quite impressed with what I was able to do in the application EverNote. However, I am going into a new year and would like to star using my iPad instead.

What would be the best applications for the following:

• Taking notes for my Stats & Calculus classes

I was thinking about using Notes Plus, but I'm not sure how well it would work for quickly writing down information / drawing pictures

• Reading books & making annotations

iBooks?

Finally, what is the best stylus to use for taking notes/drawing? I have really been considering the Adonit Jot Pro.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
Hello!

Last year I used a MacBook Air for my junior year of class, and was quite impressed with what I was able to do in the application EverNote. However, I am going into a new year and would like to star using my iPad instead.

I was thinking about using Notes Plus, but I'm not sure how well it would work for quickly writing down information / drawing pictures

iBooks?

Finally, what is the best stylus to use for taking notes/drawing? I have really been considering the Adonit Jot Pro.

Maglus Stylus

Maglus%20Aluminum%20Magnetic%20iPad%202%20Stylus.png

And Penultimate (by Evernote)

penultimate.jpg

Equals

http://maglusstylus.com/blog/penultimate-review/

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Have a look at Notability, it can be used for taking notes and to annotate PDFs and other files, and can be set to automatically back up your notes to various cloud storage sites.

Dopestar

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
CA
GoodNotes and Noteshelf apps are good for quick notes .

You will just need a stylus : Adonit or FiftyThree pencil.

Ebooks for school is the best especially when you access them on the iPad.

taelan28

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2014
No, seriously.

Microsoft Reportedly Lost $1.7 Billion In Surface Tablets So Far

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/08/microsoft-reportedly-lost-1-7-billion-in-surface-tablets-so-far/
The Dreamcast lost money and that didn't make Phantasy Star Online, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, Soul Caliber, or Powerstone 2 any less awesome. The Original Xbox hemorrhaged cash and Halo CE on LAN and Halo 2 online were the definitive experiences that generation next to GTA. Ninja Gaiden was also the definitive action experience of the generation--forget DMC.

I'm writing this on a Surface 2 and I love it. I can't tell you how many times I've been tabbing it up and BAM I gotta set some fire to the keyboard. Maybe MS was too late to the market, maybe the target market is more niche than they think, or even I think, but from what I can tell based on comments to negative reviews, people with Surfaces are pretty happy.

I suppose by your logic no one should have bothered with an apple computer from the mid to late 90's.

Its of my opinion that what the OP needs is a Surface Pro 3. Ultimately its for him to decide whether to buy it or go with a iPad.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
Okay, that's nice, but does being less popular make it a terrible tablet to use?

Irrelevant. The OP has an iPad.

----------

The Dreamcast lost money and that didn't make Phantasy Star Online, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, Soul Caliber, or Powerstone 2 any less awesome. The Original Xbox hemorrhaged cash and Halo CE on LAN and Halo 2 online were the definitive experiences that generation next to GTA. Ninja Gaiden was also the definitive action experience of the generation--forget DMC.

I'm writing this on a Surface 2 and I love it. I can't tell you how many times I've been tabbing it up and BAM I gotta set some fire to the keyboard. Maybe MS was too late to the market, maybe the target market is more niche than they think, or even I think, but from what I can tell based on comments to negative reviews, people with Surfaces are pretty happy.

I suppose by your logic no one should have bothered with an apple computer from the mid to late 90's.

Its of my opinion that what the OP needs is a Surface Pro 3. Ultimately its for him to decide whether to buy it or go with a iPad.

Irrelevant. The OP has an iPad. Your surface anecdotes don't help him.

He asked for help finding a good pen and app for his ipad to take notes. You aren't helping him.

You're answering a question he never asked.

He already has the best laptop, and the best tablet. You're asking him to buy yet a third device, that may be axed in the near future for all we know, that is neither a great tablet nor a great laptop.

Last edited:

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Irrelevant. The OP has an iPad.

Your post is also equally irrelevant to the thread, seeing as it has nothing to do with iPads either. Good job.

Still doesn't answer my question, although at this rate I'm not expecting a great one.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
Your post is also equally irrelevant to the thread, seeing as it has nothing to do with iPads either. Good job.

Still doesn't answer my question, although at this rate I'm not expecting a great one.

Maybe you didn't read the second reply in this thread, which was me directly answering the OP's question.

Nobody is talking about the Surface here except you.

The answer to your question is I have no idea if the Surface is terrible to use. I have never used one. Have you?

If the answer is yes, and you love the Surface, guess what? It doesn't matter. That isn't what the question was.

Question was, which pen and which app are best for iPad to take notes. That was the question, which I answered in Post #2.

If you have an answer to the question, go ahead, if not then go away.

----------

Maglus Stylus

And Penultimate (by Evernote)

Equals

http://maglusstylus.com/blog/penultimate-review/

You see? That was me actually answering the question.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
Hello!

iBooks?

Back to the actual question, I'm going to buy one soon and I think I'll go for the Wacom Bamboo.

But I won't be using it for writing

I think for writing people like the Jot Pro.

I'm interested to know what the actual difference is between the Jot and the Jot Pro.

I apologize for the ones who are trying to derail the thread. Don't pay attention to it. Usual trolling. They'll come back again talking about Surface and insulting people. Just ignore it.

Last edited:

JeniaB

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2014
Hello!

iBooks?

I have Jot Pro. It`s OK.
My advice to you is to buy a Jot Script, this stylus is great for taking notes for class.
See some YouTube reviews --> Aurélien Chevaleyrias This guy do some pretty nice reviews!

I myself using NotesPlus (Right now they have 60% discount), but GoodNotes is too awesome app.

Those two apps (NotesPlus & GoodNotes) have integration with Jot Script.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Its called a Surface pro 3

That's a laptop, OP is asking if a tablet could replace a laptop for him, not if a laptop could replace a laptop. I'm guessing the answer to that would be yes, but probably a less useful question to ask. (and before anyone asks, yes, I've used a Surface...it's a laptop)

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Have a look at Notability, it can be used for taking notes and to annotate PDFs and other files, and can be set to automatically back up your notes to various cloud storage sites.

+1 for Notability. I use it take notes and after a very slight learning curve is very quick to use.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
I have Jot Pro. It`s OK.
My advice to you is to buy a Jot Script, this stylus is great for taking notes for class.
See some YouTube reviews --> Aurélien Chevaleyrias This guy do some pretty nice reviews!

I myself using NotesPlus (Right now they have 60% discount), but GoodNotes is too awesome app.

Those two apps (NotesPlus & GoodNotes) have integration with Jot Script.

I was checking them out yesterday. What is that tip on the Jot Script? Is it like a plastic?

----------

That's a laptop, OP is asking if a tablet could replace a laptop for him, not if a laptop could replace a laptop. I'm guessing the answer to that would be yes, but probably a less useful question to ask. (and before anyone asks, yes, I've used a Surface...it's a laptop)

Agreed about the Surface(although nobody was really talking about the Surface)

Disagree on the OP. Originally he just asked our opinion on the best pen & app combination for his ipad for him to take notes because he is planning on taking it to class.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
Hello!

iBooks?

You're so lucky, I can't use my ipad in class. Everybody looks at me so weird like I am a spoiled rich kid.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Stay away from the Bluetooth pens. I have a Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus, and I use it without the battery. Having to mess with settings all the time is annoying when you just need to write/draw and do nothing else. But that's just my opinion.

The Adonit pens are nice, and I used to have one but sold it. If you're interested in the ones with the discs, try and get it on the cheap because they seem to be phasing them out in favor of their new nibs. The biggest problem people had with those discs is that they were scratching the screens.

You're so lucky, I can't use my ipad in class. Everybody looks at me so weird like I am a spoiled rich kid.

:rolleyes: Don't let people dictate whether something will work for you or not. Just ignore them and take your notes.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
I think so. This stylus is awesome.

So I just went out and got a stylus for my iPad Air 2.

I can say for sure these types are not for precision writing. They are for what I want which is quick sketching and selecting things like photoshop and design apps.

It feels like a finger on a stick. It gives a lot of friction so it is good for things like photoshop.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
I just tested it with Penultimate.

I can say this Bamboo is awesome. My handwriting doesn't change at all. It is just like writing on a piece of paper with a pen. The rubber provides just the perfect amount of friction.

And of course it is totally silent. No tick tick tick sound like with the Jot Pro.

I should also add I was testing it on my wife's ipad Mini. This iPad has a tempered glass screen protector on it and it is really thick but the Bamboo writes on it without problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.