Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightsSoccer82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2014
Hey guys,

I'm new here. But am having serious issues establishing a VPN with my Xserve(Early 2009) and Airport Extremes. We have 3 Airport Extreme's 6th Generation, with the central one hooked to our modem, then the other 2, a time capsule, and 2 expresses all hard-wired into that for a roaming connection through the home.

I'm sort of new with the idea of VPN, but really need help! If anyone can help me out, that would be great.

KnightsSoccer82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2014
What have you tried, and what are the issues you're having?

First off, thanks for the response.

I got it all setup correctly now, actually! However, my ISP doesn't allow static IP addresses, so do you know of any best (free) way to setup a dynamic IP address for VPN? VPN works correctly for me now locally!

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I got it all setup correctly now, actually! However, my ISP doesn't allow static IP addresses, so do you know of any best (free) way to setup a dynamic IP address for VPN? VPN works correctly for me now locally!
I've gone from Dyn to No-IP DDNS and both work as advertised. Dyn just dropped their free option.
You will need a DDNS updater inside your network to let DDNS service know of any changes to your external IP address. AEBS is supposed to do that as well, but I never bothered to set it up. I found it easier to enable DDNS updater on my NAS box.
So at the end of the day, I configure my VPN client with my No-IP hostname instead of IP address, that's what you're after.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
AEBS is supposed to do that as well, but I never bothered to set it up.

Airport devices are not able update a dynamic DNS service's IP address. While they have the option for it, it only works for wide area Bonjour setups. Those can be very tricky to setup correctly and are often not supported by dynamic DNS services.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Airport devices are not able update a dynamic DNS service's IP address. While they have the option for it, it only works for wide area Bonjour setups. Those can be very tricky to setup correctly and are often not supported by dynamic DNS services.
I had the impression that DYN had it right.
I read the part titled "Setup Your Dynamic Global Hostname in the AirPort or Time Capsule" here:
http://dyn.com/support/airport-time-capsule-with-dynamic-dns/
The authentication method seems to be not the common user-password one. But I never came to try it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.