Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haikujim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
Wanted to try running windows 7 on mac mini 2012. My friend formated a usb drive, said to just put it in and run boot camp. He put an iso image of windows on my computer as well.
tried to install, it booted into windows mode, then stuck.
says no bootable disc, press any key.
I've tried to make a bootable disc, but cant on my MBP 2008.
I've tried booting the mini into Target disc mode-reinstalled 10.9.4 from my mbp. Install went fine. but again, mini only boots into a windows "no bootable device"
In target disc mode, I can see there is a working system on the mini, just don't know how to get to it.
Tried holding down command-R, option, and space bar to see if that would let me get a boot menu as in past times, but still the same windows screen.
the install I did on the mini was a clean install, I erased entire disc, and installed.
No idea what I've done here.
I need to somehow make a bootable windows usb, but cant do that on this MBP.
anyone have any ideas?
and yes, it was a bonehead thing to do.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
You didn't mention holding down the "option" key while booting to get to the boot menu to select OS X, but you probably already tried that.

I have found that performing a PRAM reset seems to always return me to OS X (if there is an installation on the disk).

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11243?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Shut down the computer.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on the computer.
Immediately press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
Continue holding the keys down until the computer restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

haikujim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
tried to reset pram. no restart, nothing. now just stays blank white screen. also, used a wired keyboard, thought the wireless one wasn't working for the option, command R etc key combos

MacMini-Windows

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2014
OK - from what I understand is that you tried to install windows, it failed and then you installed OS X through target mode. Now when you try to boot it wants to boot windows and cannot find windows.

Sounds like the partition table is screwed up. Do you have a windows install bootable USB tick / windows install DVD? If so you can start that one up as you would install and if memory serves right you can use shift-f10 to get to the command prompt. Or otherwise you have somewhere to cancel / go back in the install and then select the command prompt. Years since I've done it.

Then you can use diskpart and clean the drive. That will wipe it to a real clean slate. Afterwards you can use target mode to re-install OS X. Good luck

PS you can try when in target mode setting in system to boot from the target disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.