Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
We just wrapped up a weekly photo contest where mobile photography was the theme. A few folks mentioned having a thread to post pictures and mention what was used. There was one a while back but I was having trouble finding it so I thought I'd start a new one.

This is for educational purposes. Comments are welcome, critiques are not necessary. This is mainly to show off and share what device and apps you are using and to give each others ideas about what can be done with a mobile device. So if you wish, please post one image at a time and share what device you used and what app/apps were used for editing. The rule is the image has to be captured and edited on a mobile (phone, tablet, etc...).

Let's see some creative stuff here and not just happy snaps. I'll get it started...

----------

I'll start with one of my favorites I've taken with a mobile. This was with an iPhone 4 and edited in Snapseed. I can't remember all the edits but I know the center focus and drama filters were used. This was shortly after I really started trying to create an image with the iPhone and not just edit a snapshot I had taken somewhere.

p1440746528-6.jpg

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
We just wrapped up a weekly photo contest where mobile photography was the theme. A few folks mentioned having a thread to post pictures and mention what was used. There was one a while back but I was having trouble finding it so I thought I'd start a new one.

This is for educational purposes. Comments are welcome, critiques are not necessary. This is mainly to show off and share what device and apps you are using and to give each others ideas about what can be done with a mobile device. So if you wish, please post one image at a time and share what device you used and what app/apps were used for editing. The rule is the image has to be captured and edited on a mobile (phone, tablet, etc...).

Let's see some creative stuff here and not just happy snaps. I'll get it started...

----------

I'll start with one of my favorites I've taken with a mobile. This was with an iPhone 4 and edited in Snapseed. I can't remember all the edits but I know the center focus and drama filters were used. This was shortly after I really started trying to create an image with the iPhone and not just edit a snapshot I had taken somewhere.

that's great! looks like a painting

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
truettray and themumu - Both of those shots are delicious. Tell us what you shot and edited them with.

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
truettray and themumu - Both of those shots are delicious. Tell us what you shot and edited them with.

iPhone 4, some minor processing. First time I had wine with breakfast, life has obtained a new meaning since then... :)

Let's have another, shall we?

Iced up by FriskyFreeze, on Flickr

iPhone 5, with cropping and auto-enhance in default Photos app.

Taken after an ice storm a day before Christmas. Many were without power for over a week. Others, more fortunate, ventured outside to snap photos. I was actually out to go see The Hobbit, but due to power outage, the theatre was closed. And the other one I tried. But the third one worked. :)

genshi

macrumors 6502a
Paper Aeroplanes - shot on the iPhone 4S

That is really a stunningly beautiful photo JDDavis! Love it!
-----------------

Here is an older one of mine; an attempt at surrealism using the following apps on an iPhone 4S:
Jag.gr 645 PRO
Snapseed
Color Lake
(... and I'm forgetting one other app that allows two photos to be merged; I think either photoBlend or Photoforge 2 maybe? and yes, I made the paper airplanes myself and had them taped on light stands!)

Paper Aeroplanes by genshi, on Flickr

Last edited:

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Here's another shot on an iPhone 5s and edited in Snapseed. And posted while walking the dog!

p700985239-5.jpg

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
This is pretty impressive. I tried to take some snaps with my new iPhone today and no luck :(
How do you guys focus on those things?

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
iPhone 4, some minor processing. First time I had wine with breakfast, life has obtained a new meaning since then... :)

Let's have another, shall we?

[url=https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5573/14701789918_ce5c055873_c.jpg]Image[/url]
Iced up by FriskyFreeze, on Flickr

iPhone 5, with cropping and auto-enhance in default Photos app.

Taken after an ice storm a day before Christmas. Many were without power for over a week. Others, more fortunate, ventured outside to snap photos. I was actually out to go see The Hobbit, but due to power outage, the theatre was closed. And the other one I tried. But the third one worked. :)

Europe absolutely knows how to do breakfast. I sure miss toasties.

The color and clarity on the shot is impressive.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009

I lost your image for some reason there genshi. I remember it from a thread or contest a while back, though. It is some impressive editing on a phone. I've tried some pic blending apps and such but with no where near as much luck.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Touch the screen where you want the focus to be and a little yellow box pops up.
Doesn seem to work. At first it focuses but then it focuses on something diffferent and it doesnt focus back on what I want it to focus on.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
This is pretty impressive. I tried to take some snaps with my new iPhone today and no luck :(
How do you guys focus on those things?

Like AF said you can tap the screen of an iPhone to get it to focus where you want. Most of the time it will focus pretty well on it's own if you give it some time. I've noticed my iP5 hunts a lot in low light. It does very well in really good outdoor light (as most cameras do). Make sure you're case (if you use one) is not obstructing the lens in some way. I've also learned to make sure I get all the pocket lint off the lens as well ;).

Edit: Forgot...if you hold your finger down on what you want to focus on for a second or two it will lock focus and exposure. (the yellow box will flash twice). It will stay locked till you tap on something else.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Like AF said you can tap the screen of an iPhone to get it to focus where you want. Most of the time it will focus pretty well on it's own if you give it some time. I've noticed my iP5 hunts a lot in low light. It does very well in really good outdoor light (as most cameras do). Make sure you're case (if you use one) is not obstructing the lens in some way. I've also learned to make sure I get all the pocket lint off the lens as well ;).
i tried it today in bright daylight and it didnt focus where i tapped.
I had the same problem with my lumia. I must be too stupid for cellphone cameras.
Is there any way to control shutter and iso? My images always seem really noisy.

genshi

macrumors 6502a
That is really a stunningly beautiful photo JDDavis! Love it!
-----------------

Here is an older one of mine; an attempt at surrealism using the following apps on an iPhone 4S:
Jag.gr 645 PRO
Snapseed
Color Lake
(... and I'm forgetting one other app that allows two photos to be merged; I think either photoBlend or Photoforge 2 maybe? and yes, I made the paper airplanes myself and had them taped on light stands!)

[url=https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8302/8007984641_8dd8a192fc_c.jpg]Image[/url]
Paper Aeroplanes by genshi, on Flickr

I lost your image for some reason there genshi. I remember it from a thread or contest a while back, though. It is some impressive editing on a phone. I've tried some pic blending apps and such but with no where near as much luck.

Thanks. Fixed.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
I had the same problem with my lumia. I must be too stupid for cellphone cameras.
Is there any way to control shutter and iso? My images always seem really noisy.

Strange. Especially with both phones. Depending on which Lumia you have it should be a pretty spectacular mobile camera as well. I believe Nokia's photo app for the lumia can control shutter and iso. The native iPhone camera app cannot.

You sure you're not doing something weird with both phones like leaving them in your pants in the wash? I did that with a hard drive one time. I guess we'd have to see you in action to figure it out. I always think my Mom's iP4 takes bad images. I've tried it and I think it actually has something behind the lens cover. Not sure.

Edit: OK, here's a weird one. I just remembered my touch screen difficulties with my left hand. I play the guitar and have more callused finger tips on the left. Sometimes the touchscreen won't pick up my taps. That's just a weird shot in the dark.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Strange. Especially with both phones. Depending on which Lumia you have it should be a pretty spectacular mobile camera as well. I believe Nokia's photo app for the lumia can control shutter and iso. The native iPhone camera app cannot.

You sure you're not doing something weird with both phones like leaving them in your pants in the wash? I did that with a hard drive one time. I guess we'd have to see you in action to figure it out. I always think my Mom's iP4 takes bad images. I've tried it and I think it actually has something behind the lens cover. Not sure.
:(
yes my lumia has a bit of shutter and iso options. It also has a zeiss lens.
I must be doing domething wrong. Its frustrating.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
OK, we need to see some more mobile shots from folks. This was taken yesterday on my iP5s and edited in Snapseed.

p984335365-5.jpg

Nov 28, 2010
located
Shot last month during the Wagner Festspiele in Bayreuth, PS Express has been used to manipulate the colours and size.

AdobePhotoshopExpress_2014_08_13_02%3A11%3A03.jpg

And that walking dog photograph is bloody fantastic, it is like a separate world.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
Jalapenos

This was just straight from iphone cam and I think all I did was hit the enhance button. Thought it looks like now as if I might have boosted the saturation some. I'm hungry if you can't tell.

Attachments

• jalapenos.jpg
    jalapenos.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 218

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area

The Apple app doesn't allow you to control shutter and ISO. I don't do this but I'm sure if you check out the photography apps you'll find several that offer that level of control.

Images taken in low light will be grainy. You can counter this with Cortex Cam. It takes about 100 images or so and averages them to remove noise. Works really well. You can even work hand held as it figures out how to align the individual images.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.