Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
anyone used or know if Lojack is worth $100 for 3 years of its service for a college student with 15" retina MB

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
anyone used or know if Lojack is worth $100 for 3 years of its service for a college student with 15" retina MB

I haven't used it, but to be honest if you're going to a college with a 15" rMBP, I would definitely buy LoJack for it. You never know what will happen to your devices in college.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

Get renter's insurance, you'll get taken care of quicker and you'll actually end up with a laptop, whereas LoJack can only help locate it.

If the thief is smart enough, it'll be sold for parts and never connected to the internet, rendering software such as LoJack utterly useless.

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
i think thats what i am do , can i get renters insurance even if i live in dorms? i was planning on getting this insurance for $239 for 3 years with $25 deductible with a claim upto $2500

----------

Get renter's insurance, you'll get taken care of quicker and you'll actually end up with a laptop, whereas LoJack can only help locate it.

If the thief is smart enough, it'll be sold for parts and never connected to the internet, rendering software such as LoJack utterly useless.

only thing is that 15" retina is practically useless when opening up since the whole thing is soldiered to one other , its a good thing since being sold for parts is very hard , but bad cause no expandability

awests

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
Bay Area, CA
i think thats what i am do , can i get renters insurance even if i live in dorms? i was planning on getting this insurance for $239 for 3 years with $25 deductible with a claim upto $2500

----------

only thing is that 15" retina is practically useless when opening up since the whole thing is soldiered to one other , its a good thing since being sold for parts is very hard , but bad cause no expandability

When I lived in the dorms freshman year, we had the option for renters insurance, so you should definitely look into it.

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2010
I got 1 year of Lojack for $30 and I'm going to school soon. Might be worth it if you have a $1000 machine or even $2000 machine like me

ano0oj

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
If your laptop gets stolen, even with LoJack, there's still a slim chance you'll be able to retrieve it. Or if you do, that t'll be damaged one way or another.
I would highly recommend looking into some sort of personal property protection through an insurance company.
State farm can offer this as a separate policy entirely I think, and costs maybe $40/year

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
If you're still covered under your parent's insurance at home, check into a rider to cover such items. Might be the cheapest way to go.

avflinsch

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2011

Check with your school, they may have some sort of arrangement with an insurance company to provide a discounted property insurance for students / staff / faculty. Both my daughter and I use it (me staff / part time grad student, she full time undergrad student) the cost is about $100, for a full calendar year, $4000 coverage with a $50 deductible with other coverage/deductible options available.

My son used it when he was in school, got a stolen iPod & a damaged MacBook replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.