Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today launched three new ads targeting Apple's MacBook Air and comparing the notebook to its new Surface Pro 3 tablet. All three commercials emphasize the Surface Pro 3's touchscreen multitasking features and expandable hardware, with each showing how the MacBook Air lacks similar functionality. The ads also end with the tagline "The tablet that can replace your laptop."

The third ad "Power" starts off with a Mac user curious about a full version of Adobe Photoshop running on the Surface Pro 3, once again demonstrating the device's laptop and tablet capabilities. The narrator claims that the Surface Pro 3 is just as fast as the Mac, boasting a touchscreen with a kickstand along with a Mini DisplayPort and a USB port. The ad ends when the Mac user states "So you're saying it does more than my Mac?", and the Surface Pro 3 user going "Well, technically you said it."

Microsoft originally announced the Surface Pro 3 this past May, and also launched a program offering MacBook Air owners $650 to trade in their laptop towards the Surface Pro 3. In prior years, Microsoft has also released ads poking fun of the iPad and comparing it to the Surface.

Article Link: Microsoft Launches Three New Surface Pro 3 Ads Targeting the MacBook Air

iJayden

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
What's with the recent Apple bashing in ads?

Highlight what your product has, not what your competitor doesn't.

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
fishy or not, they do have some points going for them. If it wasn't for windows (OS) itself, I would may give the surface a shot.

It can replace your laptop, but you just can't use it on top of your lap.

while, to be frank, most people don't use their laptop on their lap at all.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
They didnt mention the "free botnet" you join within minutes of firing the surface up without any antivirus.
All that power at someone else's fingertips.

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
Is it just me or do those ads (especialy the head to head) have a certain "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" vibe to them.

While I am in no way commenting on the Products (use both, love both for what I use them for) I realy like the "do not attempt" bit...nice touch ;-)

@sshambles: Yes it can, usb port present for plugging in a mouse or bluetooth to use one wireless :)

asriznet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Singapore
Ooooooh, Microsoft making bold moves lately...

I recently watched the Cortana's ad on how it tries to outsmart Siri as well.. :p

The features are great but I doubt that it will outdo the performance of a real computer...

andrewhart

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2008
Why 13?

What's interesting is that they used the 13' instead of the similarly powered 11' Air. I assume they wanted the Air to look bigger then the Surface. Personally, I think the 11' Air with the i7 and 512GB flash is the ultimate portable computer..

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
The adverts are getting better. The first one called 'Crowded' could misfire though because some non tech savvy people might think "Well [The Mac guy] has got a point, I can write on a notepad with a pen anyway. And I love my iPad".

The 'Head to Head' is the best one of the three. People don't need to focus on annoying / patronising voices and it's quite funny.

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
That's not really Apple bashing here, as you can see in Samsung ads. These ones are pretty well done, and quite cool :)

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
They didnt mention the "free botnet" you join within minutes of firing the surface up without any antivirus.
All that power at someone else's fingertips.

Windows 8.1 has Microsoft Security Essentials pre-installed out of the box.

No fears there.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Basically the surface is more expensive, have a smaller screen, no real hinge, small trackpad, slower, less battery life, and runs Windows. What's not to love?

Elijen

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
What a bunch of idiots. I thought the last ads were one time thing but it seems like all companies based their advertising strategy on mocking Apple for not having features that nobody wants.

flowsy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2009
Germany
I wouldn't wanna buy a Surface for my life! Or trade it for my MacBook Air and iPad mini? Never ever!

But I think these ads are quite good and funny. :D

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
Oh the hate.:rolleyes: Many people want to have one device instead of lugging around multiple devices. It's as simple as that, they are catering to the people who want ONE device to do it all, not multiple.

and please don't give me the "an ipad is so light, I have no trouble putting it i my bag", because it's really not the point.

EightBitJoe

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2014
to be fair, Apple bashed windows with the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads.

That was five years ago, and some of those ads actually contained compliments for the PC! (Go back and watch them again).

I welcome Apple bashing in ads. It means they're perceived as a threat. And consumers see right through it. (Well, except the Samsung people. But I never harangue the mentally challenged.)

EightBitJoe

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2014
Windows 8.1 has Microsoft Security Essentials pre-installed out of the box.

No fears there.

Right. Thanks to the inefficacy of that toy application, many of my friends make a living removing spyware and malware from Windows machines.

Fear it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.