Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drnebulous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Salford, UK
Hiya,
I have a Mac Pro mid 2012 and I have a Powermac G4 as a server.
I can access my server etc but I don't know how to use time machine with it.

My mac pro is running 10.9.4 and my powermac is running 10.4.11

I have gone into time machine system preferences on my mac pro and clicked 'select disk', but I can't find my server here???

asriznet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Singapore
Hiya,
I have a Mac Pro mid 2012 and I have a Powermac G4 as a server.
I can access my server etc but I don't know how to use time machine with it.

My mac pro is running 10.9.4 and my powermac is running 10.4.11

I have gone into time machine system preferences on my mac pro and clicked 'select disk', but I can't find my server here???

You are running G4 with OS X Tiger Server?
Are you trying to backup Mac Pro on the G4? I don't think Time machine was even an option in that version of OS X server. Do you have a storage volume in the G4 you want to use for time machine?

drnebulous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Salford, UK
You are running G4 with OS X Tiger Server?
Are you trying to backup Mac Pro on the G4? I don't think Time machine was even an option in that version of OS X server. Do you have a storage volume in the G4 you want to use for time machine?

Well, I do have a hard drive in the powermac g4 dedicated for my mac pro backups. I'm not running OS X server, just the regular OS X. Yes, I am trying to backup my mac pro on the powermac.

I can still access everything on the g4 via my mac pro, but I just can't get time machine to use it?

drnebulous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Salford, UK
Just got a sata pci card (sonnet) and the G4 now works perfectly, but I still can't get time machine to back up to it. It doesn't see it even though finder does see it.

What is the problem?

asriznet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Singapore
Just got a sata pci card (sonnet) and the G4 now works perfectly, but I still can't get time machine to back up to it. It doesn't see it even though finder does see it.

What is the problem?

What I think is because G4 is running on OS X tiger and time machine is only available from OS X Leopard or later.

If you have a USB drive to confirm this, plug it into another mac in the network running OS X Leopard or later to test followed by connecting it to the G4.

If it only works on the other mac then that should be the reason.

asriznet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Singapore
Indeed, Time Machine was released with OS X 10.5 Leopard, wasn't on 10.4 Tiger.

I feel that way as well however he's just using the G4 as a network file storage while the Mac Pro will be the one configured with Time Machine.

So I think some test with a portable HDD can confirm this further.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
Oh, I see what you mean.

It sounds like you haven't mounted the network disk on the newer mac. To do this, click an empty spot on your desktop background. Then, in the menu bar, click "Go". Then double-click on your network drive. Enter username and password if necessary.

Now try selecting it in time machine and see if that works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.