Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
I currently have a 2010 Mac Pro with a 27" Cinema Display and a 27" hardware calibrated NEC SpectraView display. I also have a 13" MacBook Air which I need to replace.

I do film and photo editing on the Mac Pro and want to continue doing so for another 1 or 2 years, before I start to consider upgrading it. I use the MBA for most day-to-day tasks and writing.

I am thinking about replacing the MBA with either the new 13" MBA or the 13" rMBP, but - silly as that may seem - I am seriously concerned about the retina display of the rMBP ruining by Mac Pro experience. I won't be able to replace my two non-retina 27" displays with retina versions anytime soon (there aren't even any available ATM). What if I get used to the sharpness of the rMBP and then start to find the non-retina 27" displays unpleasant?

Is that a valid concern? Or am I being silly?

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Here's the problem I had:

Last year we were doing a mini road trip from PA down to SC. Although I had my 13" 2009 MBP, I used my iPad 3 exclusively (and iPhone 4S). When I had to use my MBP to do something for my friends website I'd forgotten about pixels. I couldn't believe how much better looking a retina display was.

Fast forward to this year. We did a road trip down from PA to FL. On the way down, I picked up a 15" Late 2013 rMBP. The screen on this thing is amazing. My problem with it however, that I'm really struggling with is the fact that Photoshop renders the image pixel for pixel. So when you open something that is 1080p in size for example, it takes up a tiny little box on the screen. This makes editing images extremely difficult. If you zoom in to 200% you then get the jaggedness which makes imaged editing more or less impossible.

I got a retina display because I wanted more screen real estate. I've got it, but I wonder if I will ever be able to do image editing on this screen.

kastorff

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2006

Based on my experience, it's a valid concern. After I bought my rMBP, I found nothing else is good enough. I use the 15" display of the laptop rather than look at the now unused external monitor that previously anchored a "docked" desktop setup. The displays you have are good enough to mitigate the effect some, but it's certainly possible you'll react like I did. I was also perfectly happy with my original iPad mini prior to the rMBP purchase, and now I'm using it less and planning on upgrading to a new retina iPad model later this year.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
Here's the problem I had:

Last year we were doing a mini road trip from PA down to SC. Although I had my 13" 2009 MBP, I used my iPad 3 exclusively (and iPhone 4S). When I had to use my MBP to do something for my friends website I'd forgotten about pixels. I couldn't believe how much better looking a retina display was.

Fast forward to this year. We did a road trip down from PA to FL. On the way down, I picked up a 15" Late 2013 rMBP. The screen on this thing is amazing. My problem with it however, that I'm really struggling with is the fact that Photoshop renders the image pixel for pixel. So when you open something that is 1080p in size for example, it takes up a tiny little box on the screen. This makes editing images extremely difficult. If you zoom in to 200% you then get the jaggedness which makes imaged editing more or less impossible.

I got a retina display because I wanted more screen real estate. I've got it, but I wonder if I will ever be able to do image editing on this screen.
I don't have that issue in Photoshop on my rMBP? I think you must be using an older version because Photoshop CC has retina support and it looks gorgeous.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
15" rMBP here and yes, text on my Dell U2711 is inferior and not surprisingly I'm more aware of its inferiority when I've just been using the rMBP.

But I have no choice, so I wouldn't say that it's been "ruined" for me. I don't think you're being silly, but I doubt you'll have any problem getting used to it. There's an upside to "can't do anything about it."

I'm hoping that over the next year or so somebody will make a 27" +/- monitor with retina-level resolution.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I don't have that issue in Photoshop on my rMBP? I think you must be using an older version because Photoshop CC has retina support and it looks gorgeous.

I am using the latest Adobe CC. This attachment is the problem I have. The image is 1920x1080 and Photoshop is displaying it pixel per pixel. 100% meant 100%. Now because of the retina display, images appear much smaller, which means I have to zoom in to, which causes jagged lines.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 19.26.44.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 19.26.44.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 156

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I am using the latest Adobe CC. This attachment is the problem I have. The image is 1920x1080 and Photoshop is displaying it pixel per pixel. 100% meant 100%. Now because of the retina display, images appear much smaller, which means I have to zoom in to, which causes jagged lines.
That's a problem with the low-res image, not the display. The display is simply making an issue with the photo more apparent. And zooming in to 200% detail doesn't look bad on the retina display either! it's just turning it back to the same level of detail it would be at if it were a non-retina machine.

When I am working with professional-quality images at high resolution it looks gorgeous, simply unbelievable how good it looks.

Last edited:

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I currently have a 2010 Mac Pro with a 27" Cinema Display and a 27" hardware calibrated NEC SpectraView display. I also have a 13" MacBook Air which I need to replace.

I do film and photo editing on the Mac Pro and want to continue doing so for another 1 or 2 years, before I start to consider upgrading it. I use the MBA for most day-to-day tasks and writing.

I am thinking about replacing the MBA with either the new 13" MBA or the 13" rMBP, but - silly as that may seem - I am seriously concerned about the retina display of the rMBP ruining by Mac Pro experience. I won't be able to replace my two non-retina 27" displays with retina versions anytime soon (there aren't even any available ATM). What if I get used to the sharpness of the rMBP and then start to find the non-retina 27" displays unpleasant?

I switch between my Hack Pro (driving three non-retina panels) and my retina MacBook Pro without issue.

Epiphron

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2010
I switch between a 15 rMBP with a 27" 1080p display no problem. Does the 1080p display look bad? Nope. The rMBP does look better but that shouldn't detract from the big monitor experience imo :)

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
That's a problem with the low-res image, not the display. The display is simply making an issue with the photo more apparent. And zooming in to 200% detail doesn't look bad on the retina display either! it's just turning it back to the same level of detail it would be at if it were a non-retina machine.

When I am working with professional-quality images at high resolution it looks gorgeous, simply unbelievable how good it looks.

Ok so the problem for me then, is I work with low res images as I do web design. For me a retina display makes it difficult to design website elements

I still love the machine and the display. Perhaps it will just take me time to fully get used to

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
It's a valid concern but it's going to happen sooner or later anyway. My MBPr has ruined me for my 30" Dell 2560x1600 display. I just need to wait until someone releases a half-decent 4K display at 30"+ for a sensible price. Any day now, I reckon.

If you went from ipad2 to ipad3, or iphone 3 to iphone 4, it's just the same thing. Like with screen size, you can never go back.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
I go back and forth daily between a 17" hi-res anti-glare MBP and a couple different retina models. No problem.

zunairryk

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
Vancouver, BC

What app are you using for temperature/fan rpm speed in the menu bar?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.