Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dukeluke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2013
Hey, I just got a new iMac and was wondering is the magic mouse that comes with it a good mouse to use when playing divinity original sin and dayZ? If not what do you recommend?

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
I've not used the Magic Mouse, but I'd assume it's probably pretty bad for gaming as having physical buttons makes it easier to feel where things are at. Plus, I hear it's not the best mouse in general. My Razer Naga is one of my favorites for pretty much everything I play as the 12 buttons on the side can be assigned to do pretty much anything and are great for games besides MMOs. Not the mention it can be macro'ed, so they're good for weapon swaps in such in FPS games.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I haven't used my Magic Mouse with those games, but it took quite a while to get used to this mouse playing games. Right clicking made me rethink how I hold the mouse, as I was often right clicking by accident just because I left more than one finger on the mouse.

Also if you're a fan of using the scroll wheel... it's hard to stop the inertia once you've started. For instance, in a shooter, it's hard to just scroll up or down once to select a weapon without having it turn into a Price is Right spin.

I'm used to it now, but I don't recommend it. I need to dig up one of my Logitech mice or something to use in the long run.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Magic Mouse is good for general computing and casual gameplay. Great for things like bejeweled, solitaire, etc. I played Starcraft II with one, and it was fairly frustrating. Clicking (left or right) is not accurate enough. I wouldn't think it would be a problem to play Divinity Original Sin, as that is turn based. Man, I backed that game during it's Kickstarter run, and I love the positive press and buzz it's getting! Now if they would just finish Wasteland 2 already . . .

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I wouldnt recommend magic mouse for gaming. Its great for general tasks and the multitouch function is astounding! Though I always prefer a physical mouse wheel, and often with the magic mouse the left click and right clicks are mixed up. Then again maybe Im holding it wrong. I personally use a G9 mouse for gaming. Its not the latest and greatest, but it has adjustable weights, speed adjustments, and those 2 extra mouse buttons that come in handy. IM not saying its the best, but it works quite well for me. :D

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Get yourself a proper gaming mouse. Many Logitech G-series mice have software for OS X that allows for per-game button customization.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I use Logitech mouse for gaming on OS X and Bootcamp windows on my Mac.

Go to a store such as Best Buy and see what mouse feels comfortable in your hand.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Thanks for the recommendations, once again macrumors users have influenced my mac buying decisions. I got this guy:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00F5WATQ8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Patec® ET X-08 2000DPI Adjustable 2.4G Wireless Professional Gaming Game Mouse Mice:cool:

While you'll certainly get basic functionality with that mouse, you're not going to be able to fine-tune the tracking speed or program the extra buttons unless it has specific drivers for OS X, which would be highly unlikely. You'll either need to return it and buy a mouse with proper OS X drivers (Logitech was already called to your attention), or purchase a 3rd-party driver such as SteerMouse or USB Overdrive.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
While I wouldn't recommend a Magic Mouse for gaming it certainly isn't the worst you can do and for Divinity it will work just fine. If you want a mouse strictly for gaming I'd recommend a Logitech G400 though.

I'd also recommend downloading SmoothMouse and disabling acceleration if you're trying to game under OS X, since game settings don't seem to override OS X's built in acceleration.

For the record, I've been playing quite a bit of CS:GO with the Magic Mouse and I haven't had any trouble. Then again, CS doesn't really require you to use the right mouse button with much frequency. I'm ranked as Elite Master Guardian for those wondering.

Dukeluke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2013
While you'll certainly get basic functionality with that mouse, you're not going to be able to fine-tune the tracking speed or program the extra buttons unless it has specific drivers for OS X, which would be highly unlikely. You'll either need to return it and buy a mouse with proper OS X drivers (Logitech was already called to your attention), or purchase a 3rd-party driver such as SteerMouse or USB Overdrive.

Maybe I should have put more thought into button customization as I do not know a whole lot about 3rd party software. I was not going to spend more than $40 on a mouse. For the logitech g series only the g100 is in that price range I believe. And steermouse is free

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I seem to recall that the magic mouse was no good for shooters because you could not right click, say to zoom with a sniper rifle, and fire at the same time.

I'm pretty sure you can either left click or right click but I don't think you can send left and right clicks together at the same time as in the example above. This would also apply to iron sights aiming, etc.

At the time I bought my iMac, I also ordered a Logitech mouse so while I tried out the Magic Mouse, I haven't used it since then.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
The Magic Mouse is pish for gaming, you need a proper mouse with proper buttons if you want to get anywhere as you can't click both buttons at the same time etc with the Magic Mouse. Even the cheapest of the cheap crapiest multibutton mouse is better for gaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.