Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
While I am generally satisfied with OSX' Mail, I am looking into a 3rd-party mail client solution that will enable me to view messages without downloading them.
Emails claim a rather large chunk of storage, and available space on my MacBookAir's SSD is at a premium.

I did a search on mail clients, and read up on a number of available apps, but in the reviews there is no mention of this functionality.

It is strange, as iOS' Mail seems to do exactly what I want, i.e. leave messages on the server and only temporarily retrieve them when you want to read them. This was obviously designed with the storage constraints of mobile devices in mind. I tried to make OSX Mail behave the same way, but I guess it is not possible.

Does anybody here know of an OSX mail application that does this? Thanks.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Why not use a web-based email service like Gmail, and view and compose your messages directly on the Google server though a web browser? You can also do this with Apple mail via iCloud.com. Other services offer the same. This way you can handle your email needs and not need an app that downloads them to the computer.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
I have four email accounts (url/pop3, google, yahoo, icloud) I need to access constantly.

I do not like to be logged in via a browser all the time, not to mention having to access all four of them via their separate web portals, so if there is a client application that can mimick iOS Mail's behavior, that would be great.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I have four email accounts (url/pop3, google, yahoo, icloud) I need to access constantly.

I do not like to be logged in via a browser all the time, not to mention having to access all four of them via their separate web portals, so if there is a client application that can mimick iOS Mail's behavior, that would be great.
It is a mystery exactly what you want that is missing in the email clients available on OS X. I currently have six active accounts setup in Mail. They include a mixture of POP3 and IMAP accounts including iCloud [which is IMAP]. I am scratching my head trying to determine what my iOS Mail client can do that my OS X Mail client cannot.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
The only Mac email client I've found that might work for you - and use - is Airmail. The app is downright cheap - almost under-priced IMO, the developer is downright quick with updates and adding features, and the app just frickin' works.

Importantly, to you, is that I have not found any aggressive local caching like OS X Mail does. I have one user account I use Mail with two iCloud accounts, pare out the stuff I don't need into archived MBOX files, and the local cache is still almost 190 MB. I use Airmail for two Exchange accounts and four Gmail accounts, and there's no local cache that I can find - even within the app itself. Airmail also has several built-in themes, and it's really customizable.

As for Airmail and iCloud accounts, it's not all smooth sailing but with account set up only - Apple seems to be a bit odd with direct access to iCloud mail, but finding IMAP settings for any other email client aren't tough to find.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
It is a mystery exactly what you want that is missing in the email clients available on OS X. I currently have six active accounts setup in Mail. They include a mixture of POP3 and IMAP accounts including iCloud [which is IMAP]. I am scratching my head trying to determine what my iOS Mail client can do that my OS X Mail client cannot.

Nothing. Like I said: OSX Mail downloads all your mail and if you have 4 accounts with several years of correspondence it adds up. iOS Mail doesn't do that, it downloads a few beats to display the header only, and if you want to read the actual email, it will retrieve it from the server temporarily, only loading it into RAM. If OSX Mail would let me modify its behavior in a similar way, I'd be fine.

I am fast running out of storage on my 256GB MBA. I just did a system restore, but already email and icloud account for almost 25GB of storage space. After one week.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Nothing. Like I said: OSX Mail downloads all your mail and if you have 4 accounts with several years of correspondence it adds up. iOS Mail doesn't do that, it downloads a few beats to display the header only, and if you want to read the actual email, it will retrieve it from the server temporarily, only loading it into RAM. If OSX Mail would let me modify its behavior in a similar way, I'd be fine.
I am fast running out of storage on my 256GB MBA. I just did a system restore, but already email and icloud account for almost 25GB of storage space. After one week.
While it is not an e-mail client per se, MyPopBarrier may help you view your mail without actually downloading the mail. It is designed to allow the user to delete mail from the server, several accounts at once if you need that function.
http://throb.pagesperso-orange.fr/site/
Unfortunately, while the software works fine with English mail, it cannot display mail in Japanese correctly, only the header gets displayed, while the Japanese text gets garbled. I work in a Japanese/English environment and need to read both languages in my e-mail client. Apple's Mail works, as does Powermail for that, now if only the developer of MyPopBarrier could fix that in his app! Marking mail for deletion is rather pedantic too, forcing you to select mail 1 by 1 and then hitting the right arrow key to mark it. When you have selected several mail messages, they can all be purged from the server en-mass. Not sure that would work for you.....

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
In my opinion local cashing is amazing because my mails are backed up with Time Machine that way. In case iCloud goes down I'll still preserve all my mails. :)

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
That's true and great if you abundant hard disk space; on my old MacPro I don't worry about it.

With my MacBookAir's measly 256GB SSD, some sort of storage management eventually becomes a necessity.

Mail and iCloud sync are by far the biggest storage hogs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.