Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mitchlamar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Hello, I own a mid-2010 iMac and am planning to upgrade from 4GB to 8GB.

I know I can EASILY youtube how to do it myself to keep it cheap, but my main questions are that I don't know where (Newegg i guess) and what brand to buy the RAM from.

Is ram a blanket piece of equipment that most computers use the same size for to easily slot it in and if so, for the iMac where and what brand should i get?

I'm new to tinkering with my own computer.

Thanks so much for any help.

asriznet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Singapore
Hello, I own a mid-2010 iMac and am planning to upgrade from 4GB to 8GB.

I know I can EASILY youtube how to do it myself to keep it cheap, but my main questions are that I don't know where (Newegg i guess) and what brand to buy the RAM from.

Is ram a blanket piece of equipment that most computers use the same size for to easily slot it in and if so, for the iMac where and what brand should i get?

I'm new to tinkering with my own computer.

Thanks so much for any help.

For the exact specification of RAM you want to get refer to Apple official article based on the exact model of your mac: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1423?viewlocale=en_US#4

I've bought memory slots from OWC and i think they are quite reputable. You can also get it from iFixit.com, they even have detailed guides on how to install your apple components.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.