Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:25 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Apple's Switch to Intel Could Allow OS X Exploits

Category: Mac OS X
Link: Apple's Switch to Intel Could Allow OS X Exploits
Description:: Apple's shift to Intel processors will make it easier to create software exploits in Macintosh systems, analysts warn.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:29 PM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I never understood the worry. Exploits are software and the intel chip is a piece of hardware. Why would anything else change?
GoCubsGo is offline   0
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:26 PM   #3
kiwi-in-uk
macrumors 6502a

It will be interesting to see whether all the FUD being generated by those with vested interests is justified by a successful attack on an Intel-based Mac. The same people have been squawking for years about OS X on Power PC. Granted there have been some vulnerabilities reported, but none have been exploited successfully "in the wild".
kiwi-in-uk is offline   0
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:47 PM   #4
truz
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to truz
sure hope this don't happen. intel and apple better keep things tight. but.. if something major happens this could be a huge part for amd to step in and secure things on an amd chip lets hope we dont have to downgrade to ppc later on.
truz is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2006, 03:31 AM   #5
greatdevourer
macrumors 68000

http://www.frsirt.com/english/vendor/229

Wow, a whole list of sploits/vulns for X, and this is one of the smaller ones around. The move to Intel wont suddenly make the OS easier to sploit
greatdevourer is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2006, 09:12 AM   #6
wtmcgee
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to wtmcgee
yawn ... more FUD.

Macs might be more vulnerable if it gains marketshare, but not because it uses the same chip architecture as windows-based PCs. By that logic, Linux should have as many viruses as Windows, right?
wtmcgee is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2006, 01:38 PM   #7
RacerX
macrumors 65832

Why does the article keep referring to Motorola's PowerPC? Motorola has been out of that game for a while... and PowerPC was mainly IBM's domain anyways. Motorola (and Apple) moved to the architecture, but it was founded by IBM.

It is sad when people write articles like these. The move in and of itself to Intel is not going to make any difference. To date I have never seen a wide spread security issue that had anything to do with a hardware platform, it was always the operating system that represented the foundation of any exploits.
RacerX is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2006, 01:39 PM   #8
someguy
macrumors 68020

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I can't figure it out... what the hell is FUD?
someguy is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2006, 01:43 PM   #9
redAPPLE
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I can't figure it out... what the hell is FUD?
it means Fear Uncertainty & Doubt.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 01:44 PM   #10
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy
Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt.

It's just an expression...if someone spreads FUD, then they try to use gloom and doom scenarios with little likelihood of actually obtaining, to make people who are relatively ignorant people form highly emotionally charged pictures of the danger of something (in this case, Apple's future).
Old Jan 28, 2006, 01:44 PM   #11
someguy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by redAPPLE
it means Fear Uncertainty & Doubt.
I see, well in that case, I agree with everyone who described this article as such.
someguy is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2006, 02:53 PM   #12
Eric5h5
macrumors 68020

This article was definitely clueless and misinformed. The idea of security problems on x86 and not PPC does have some basis in reality...a basis that wasn't even touched on in the article, however. Namely, it has something to do with memory being marked as executable or not, which x86 didn't differentiate. So you could have a pointer at any old spot in memory and execute whatever was there, whereas that was never possible on PPC. However, my understanding is that's not even true on x86 any more.

--Eric
Eric5h5 is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2006, 06:34 PM   #13
jhu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5h5
This article was definitely clueless and misinformed. The idea of security problems on x86 and not PPC does have some basis in reality...a basis that wasn't even touched on in the article, however. Namely, it has something to do with memory being marked as executable or not, which x86 didn't differentiate. So you could have a pointer at any old spot in memory and execute whatever was there, whereas that was never possible on PPC. However, my understanding is that's not even true on x86 any more.

--Eric
there is the nx-bit on amd64 processors and functionally equivalent xd-bit on some newer intel x86 processors.
powerpc750 :: mac os x 10.4.8
powerpc603 :: netbsd 3.1
jhu is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2006, 07:42 PM   #14
wasimyaqoob
macrumors 6502a

Why change to Intel anyway? - their awful, AMD make much better cpu's but then again PowerPC are the way forward
wasimyaqoob is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2006, 03:01 AM   #15
killmoms
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to killmoms Send a message via Yahoo to killmoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasimyaqoob
Why change to Intel anyway? - their awful, AMD make much better cpu's but then again PowerPC are the way forward
AMD still can't compete in the field Apple's currently most interested in—mobile chips. Like it or not, Core Duo is way better than anything AMD has out in the same power-consumption range. And when Intel's whole lineup finally ditches NetBurst and brings in the Merom/Conroe architecture... well, things will likely be neck and neck again. Besides, AMD doesn't have the volume capacity to deliver in the big-time.

PowerPC is dead, sorry. Apple was the last big PPC customer in non-embedded systems. In the consumer market, PPC is gone. Get over it.
Azusa: 64GB iPhone 5, Nagato: 16GB WiFi Retina iPad Mini
killmoms is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2006, 04:49 AM   #16
Analog Kid
macrumors 68030

Wow... I read all three pages of that article looking for information. Never found any. Symantec thinks Mac users should start buying their product, and IBM thinks x86 is less secure than their PPC-- no news there. Everybody's still hung up on popularity as the reason Macs aren't exploited and all of these arguments hinge on x86 being popular.

There are differences between the architectures but, aside from the weak CISC vs RISC argument, there was nothing in this article that explains why x86 is fundamentally more vulnerable.

Mostly it just makes me shrug and wonder why the technical press can't hire technical journalists...
Old Jan 29, 2006, 09:44 AM   #17
galleyhannon
macrumors newbie

This just in: Apple's Switch to Intel Could Allow for the End of the World
... well, it could. That would make just as insightful an article.
galleyhannon is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2006, 01:31 PM   #18
jhu
macrumors 6502a

the article is just a tad short on details and a bit too general. ppc and x86 also use silicon. that should be a good reason why they'll be exploitable.
jhu is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2006, 02:27 PM   #19
shadowfax
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to shadowfax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Kid
There are differences between the architectures but, aside from the weak CISC vs RISC argument, there was nothing in this article that explains why x86 is fundamentally more vulnerable.
I thought that was kinda funny, because the way I understand it, RISC and CISC are differentiations more from the 1990s--that both the POWER and x86 architectures have evolved since then so that neither of them is really RISC or CISC. and in ANY case, I've never heard of a multi-platform virus written for x86 in assembly.

What an idiotic article. FUD indeed.
shadowfax is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2006, 02:33 PM   #20
jhu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax
I thought that was kinda funny, because the way I understand it, RISC and CISC are differentiations more from the 1990s--that both the POWER and x86 architectures have evolved since then so that neither of them is really RISC or CISC. and in ANY case, I've never heard of a multi-platform virus written for x86 in assembly.

What an idiotic article. FUD indeed.
i'm still puzzled as to why people still cling to the terms "cisc" and "risc" when modern processors aren't even close to either one of them.
jhu is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2006, 02:58 PM   #21
macdong
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to macdong Send a message via Yahoo to macdong
i doubt the author had any idea about what he was talking about, nor did the people he interviewed (or perhaps he only took the words of those he agreed with? )

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion