Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 27, 2006, 09:29 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Intel Macs: Wait or Buy Now?

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Intel Macs: Wait or Buy Now?
Description:: With the euphoria of another Steve Jobs Macworld Expo keynote waning, Apple faithful are coming to terms with one troubling fact -- the whole platform has gone beta again.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2006, 02:54 PM   #2
virus1
macrumors 65816

i wouldn't buy an intel mac for a few more months. it is a huge transition, and it is very new, so i don't expect the os to be perfectly refined. plus, the entire rosetta/universal binary/compatibility issues kinda scare me, and I don't expect the said speed of the intels to really be that much faster.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 04:34 PM   #3
cr2sh
macrumors 68030

The folks who own a g5 and upgraded to the intel seem to disagree with you.

There's a couple eon this forum that think the intels are a great deal faster than the old g5's.

I think I'm just waiting on the refurbs to show up.

MBP (early' 11/2.2/16GB/500GB/hi-res-ag)
cr2sh is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2006, 04:42 PM   #4
jsw
Moderator emeritus

While I agree that caution is advisable if you don't need one (mine came as part of the Developer Transition Kit exchange program), I will say that, after 5+ days of use, 8+ hours per day, the only problems I've had were (1) some issues with Front Row responsiveness, which might not be a new thing (I didn't have a G5 iMac, so I don't know what it was like on those), and (2) my eclipse Java development environment needed one new file to work.

Other than that, it's been all roses for me, but I know others have experienced problems, and apparently there have been numerous configuration changes over the past couple of weeks.

Still, developing using eclipse (emulated), then, without closing eclipse, opening Skype (emulated) and playing WarCraft III over the net (emulated) without a single problem, then using all the other apps without problems, I'd have to say that, while this is very early on in the Intel period, the initial products seem pretty decent - this is a base iMac (with an extra GB of RAM), and it flies.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion