Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
It's finally official:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...etal-made-and-the-thinnest-Galaxy-yet_id59293

Those who wanted better build quality (myself included) will be happy, although it's still plastic on the back (and on the front?).

Good specs except the battery.

Cool to have 4K video recording.

They say price is over 600$. Too much if you ask me just to have a metal frame.

No microSD, but 32GB of on-board storage might be enough for many.

Anyone interested in buying?

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Too thin, people will drop it. Why is Samsung on this "thinner!!11!1!!!"-trip?
No Micro-SD? That's a joke.
Protruding camera - completely unusable on flat surfaces like Starbucks coffee tables.

Fail.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
It's finally official:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...etal-made-and-the-thinnest-Galaxy-yet_id59293

Those who wanted better build quality (myself included) will be happy, although it's still plastic on the back (and on the front?).

Good specs except the battery.

Cool to have 4K video recording.

They say price is over 600$. Too much if you ask me just to have a metal frame.

No microSD, but 32GB of on-board storage might be enough for many.

Anyone interested in buying?

Well, it's not a beauty if you ask me, but that's highly subjective obviously.

I don't see a problem with the battery: Many people could get through the day with this and therefore don't want a thicker device: Good move.

What bothers me is the screen: I recall correctly the S3 had a 4.8" 720p display with a pentile layout and it looks rather washed out. On the other hand it matches the fact, that the battery is smaller than on a S4/S5.

Price seems ok since it will a) drop in price in the market and b) try to compete the iPhone which is at 700$ and fix.

All in all I wouldn't buy, but I can see what Samsung is aiming at and in my opinion it's a good idea: You can debate if they're clustering their phone section to much (I wouldn't do this if I were them), but it has its advantages.

----------

Too thin, people will drop it. Why is Samsung on this "thinner!!11!1!!!"-trip?
No Micro-SD? That's a joke.
Protruding camera - completely unusable on flat surfaces like Starbucks coffee tables.

Fail.

Thinner is very easy marketable, Apple understood this.

Samsung to date tries the: This thing has an HexaCore Ultra 4K triple Z 2.0 High Definition Processor... whatever this even means.

If someone absolutely not into tech goes into a store and sees a phone as thin as never seen before he will leave amazed (and probably with that phone).
Samsung's equivalent of Apple's making-it-thinner was making the screen bigger, but they're reaching the limits.

tl;dr Phone makers need something, that is visible on first sight and thus makes older phones feel dated.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Samsung missed it in my opinion. Why can't they make this a 4.8 1080p in the same shell with a little less bezzle and add 3 GB ram with a 805 soc along with a 2400 battery?

That would of been a game changer as some or most of us are sick of there phones getting bigger and bigger with the latest flagship specs.

Samsung give us a real power house flagship 4.8 in cell and get rid of all the bs active,mini,mega,micro 2009 speced cells you dump out.

We want a flagship mini phone with decent battery and killer screen.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I guess they are trying to cripple Apple sales some...5.7" Note 4 + 4.7" Galaxy Alpha in September.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I don't mind thin, I always use a case anyway so a phone can hardly get too thin for me. Hopefully the Note 4 is also thinner than its predecessor, would be really nice if it was very light to make prolonged holding more comfortable.

Shame about the screen res though. I thought they were going for a really premium device to compete with the iPhone 6.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
This is a no for me.

If the S series and Note series is going down this line, I.e style over substance, no micro SD card then I may as well cut my losses with Samsung and go back to Apple.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
This is a no for me.

If the S series and Note series is going down this line, I.e style over substance, no micro SD card then I may as well cut my losses with Samsung and go back to Apple.

I highly doubt they'll go this way with the Note and regular S series. This was probably just a quick stab at grabbing some of the users who'd be getting an iPhone mainly for style reasons. Our Note 4 should retain all the bells and whistles the series is known for...otherwise they'll seriously have shot themselves in the foot.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I highly doubt they'll go this way with the Note and regular S series. This was probably just a quick stab at grabbing some of the users who'd be getting an iPhone mainly for style reasons. Our Note 4 should retain all the bells and whistles the series is known for...otherwise they'll seriously have shot themselves in the foot.
Yeah that's how I see it too. They have too much good with what works with the note line.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
They've got certain things right but others wrong:

- Screen is fine, 90% of people will be happy
- Size is excellent
- 32gb is nice (again most people don't need more)
- Still has removable battery
- Camera should be good enough
- Super slim and light, very good
- Bit of metal makes it a bit more premium

The not so good:

- Front is a blatant copy of iPhone, embarrassing
- That back is just ugly
- Price too high if they really want to sabotage the iPhone
- Not waterproof
- It will still run TouchWiz

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Wow, the Alpha is even getting crushed by the Android faithful over at Android Central--common theme is 'iPhone clone' and only releasing before the next iPhone so that they aren't accused of copying them. I can't say I disagree--display size and resolution, battery size (only 1860 mAh) nearly identical to rumored iPhone 6 specs. Also, no microSD slot. I don't really understand Samsung's thinking on this one. If potential iPhone customers aren't enticed by the S5, why would they choose a device that's inferior in nearly every way to the S5 and only marginally smaller?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Wow, the Alpha is even getting crushed by the Android faithful over at Android Central--common theme is 'iPhone clone' and only releasing before the next iPhone so that they aren't accused of copying them. I can't say I disagree--display size and resolution, battery size (only 1860 mAh) nearly identical to rumored iPhone 6 specs. Also, no microSD slot. I don't really understand Samsung's thinking on this one. If potential iPhone customers aren't enticed by the S5, why would they choose a device that's inferior in nearly every way to the S5 and only marginally smaller?

Agreed......you would think if they were going to do this they would "Go Big" and do it right....but the Alpha is not it......

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Agreed......you would think if they were going to do this they would "Go Big" and do it right....but the Alpha is not it......

And early indications are that pricing is going to be pretty close to all other flagships.

Until this point I found most of the claims of Samsung copying Apple to be pretty much nonsense but moves like this are going to do nothing to squash those claims, and I can't say I disagree. This purely screams 'Can't beat 'em, join 'em.'

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
They've got certain things right but others wrong:

- Screen is fine, 90% of people will be happy
- Size is excellent
- 32gb is nice (again most people don't need more)
- Still has removable battery
- Camera should be good enough
- Super slim and light, very good
- Bit of metal makes it a bit more premium

The not so good:

- Front is a blatant copy of iPhone, embarrassing
- That back is just ugly
- Price too high if they really want to sabotage the iPhone
- Not waterproof
- It will still run TouchWiz[/QUOTE]

It's a Samsung phone so it's going to run Samsung's software not pure android or sense or something else.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Lmao - Samsung.....

Well, it's been a nice run. Looking forward to seeing HTC and LG step up and take over the high-end Android segment. Samsung's on the way down....

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Seeing this makes me more excited for the iPhone 6 because I'm betting the iPhone 6 will be even lighter than the Galaxy Alpha.

With respect to the Alpha, I find it a lot more appealing than the S5. Battery life however would concern me and I'd wait for official reviews before making a buying decision.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Lmao - Samsung.....

Well, it's been a nice run. Looking forward to seeing HTC and LG step up and take over the high-end Android segment. Samsung's on the way down....

I doubt that LG et al will be able to achieve the same dominate that samsung currently enjoy. HTC were on top before but they were nowhere near as successful as Samsung have been.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I doubt that LG et al will be able to achieve the same dominate that samsung currently enjoy. HTC were on top before but they were nowhere near as successful as Samsung have been.

Oh let's hope not. While I would much rather see HTC or LG on top to see what they could do as the lead dog, I hope we don't ever see the same dominance from another Android OEM as we've seen from Samsung. It's just not good for the platform when one OEM has a stranglehold on the market share - especially an OEM with poor software and inefficient hardware.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010

Maybe they didn't want to give it high end specs because they already have the SGS5 and Note 4 for that. Having three high end flagships in one year would be crazy and they would end up eating sales from each other.

People would stop buying the SGS5 if the Alpha were the same but thinner and with metal.

Overall it's an interesting phone IMO, but that price... not worth it.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
hey jr samsung hardware is great :p probably the most well rounded android oem regarding bleeding edge processors, camera quality, screen quality, sdcard, battery life + removable

most other OEM's have to sacrifice camera, LG seems to overheat more than samsung

It's killing me that that they wont offer stock android on samsung though. I'm getting the feeling GPE is dead for samsung and its been too quiet on the whole silver thing

OT: I've only had qualcomm devices, is this processor current gen?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
hey jr samsung hardware is great :p probably the most well rounded android oem regarding bleeding edge processors, camera quality, screen quality, sdcard, battery life + removable

most other OEM's have to sacrifice camera, LG seems to overheat more than samsung

It's killing me that that they wont offer stock android on samsung though. I'm getting the feeling GPE is dead for samsung and its been too quiet on the whole silver thing

I prefer LCDs to AMOLEDs - HTC's hardware was better IMO, save for the bezel-to-display ratio. That is something I think Samsung does the best.

Processor speed is irrelevant if the software runs it down. Sense is a far better skin which makes it seem like the HTC One is a far faster device - even if the processor isn't technically as good.

Battery life is pretty much on par with almost every other device out there. I haven't seen major swings on any devices I've used. They all generally get me through a day with somewhere between 30-50% left.

And I'm not a fan of Samsung's design language - hardware or software-wise (except for the Alpha because it looks like an iPhone).

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I prefer LCDs to AMOLEDs - HTC's hardware was better IMO, save for the bezel-to-display ratio. That is something I think Samsung does the best.

Processor speed is irrelevant if the software runs it down. Sense is a far better skin which makes it seem like the HTC One is a far faster device - even if the processor isn't technically as good.

Battery life is pretty much on par with almost every other device out there. I haven't seen major swings on any devices I've used. They all generally get me through a day with somewhere between 30-50% left.

And I'm not a fan of Samsung's design language - hardware or software-wise (except for the Alpha because it looks like an iPhone).

well, since I have GPE I suppose my experience is skewed, Spec wise though, the hardware is cream of the crop

I too prefer LCD, but gave it up for the better camera

I like HTC and Moto as OEMS more
cant fix the camera, but the user can fix the software (well, in current gen samsungs case, only if you buy tmobile)

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
The frame kind of looks like many of these aluminum bumper cases for the iphone.

Otherwise it looks fairly decent. But it is still samsungs touchwiz plus the battery on this thing will just melt away

But that background image looks pretty cool

ritholtz

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
That wall paper is nice. I think, it is good. It is cross of s5 and iphone. I would like to get this metal bezel for my S5. Not many pics of blue color one.
04_SM-G850F_012_white.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.