Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avoidandroid

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Can someone assist me in using PCKBACKUP. I'm currently using pkgbackup to back up all my sources/tweeks stored on my contacts. If Apple replaces my iphone, how do i restore them back on my new device?

Prior to the exchange, I synced my iphone and then did a final backup in pkgbackup. After the exchange, I jailbreak and then restored my iphone in itunes. Then I downloaded pkgbackup and tried to restore but it says no backup found??

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
If you get new device, you jailbreak it, then install PkgBackup.
Then connect it to location where you stored your PkgBackup backup, then you just run the restore function.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If you get new device, you jailbreak it, then install PkgBackup.
Then connect it to location where you stored your PkgBackup backup, then you just run the restore function.
^^^Exactly this. But be careful. If your storage location was on your PHONE, then when you turned your old phone in to Apple your backup would be gone.

So, you want to either backup to Box or Dropbox or copy the backup off of the phone.

avoidandroid

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
So don't use the storage location in your contacts? You recommend dropbox? So I would go into pkgbackup settings and change the location from addressbook to dropbox?

So just to recap, do a final pkgbackup in dropbox on old phone, do an exchange at Apple, jailbreak, install pkgbackup, make sure pkgbackup is set at location dropbox, click restore?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So don't use the storage location in your contacts? You recommend dropbox? So I would go into pkgbackup settings and change the location from addressbook to dropbox?

So just to recap, do a final pkgbackup in dropbox on old phone, do an exchange at Apple, jailbreak, install pkgbackup, make sure pkgbackup is set at location dropbox, click restore?
Right.

Or you could use Box instead of Dropbox. I happen to have accounts for both services so I use which ever one I wish at the time I backup. As long as the backup is not ON the device when you exchange it. You can't restore from a backup if you don't have the backup or any access to it.

alkalifly

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2004
You COULD back up to contacts, as long as you then get the contacts on to the new phone.

For example, if you are using iCloud or some Exchange account (or any account that syncs your contacts online), you would just set up the new phone with that account so that all of your contacts (including the PkgBackup contact) will be on the new phone.

Or, you could sync your contacts to your computer through iTunes, and the PkgBackup contact will sync along with all of the real contacts

avoidandroid

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
I tried several times storing my backup to my contacts but pkgbackup says that there is no backup to restore from. I do see the pkg backup in my contacts so I'm not sure what's wrong. Does it matter that the "contact name" has a different ID than the new phone? It saves with the cydia id#?

I think I will try the dropbox later on and see. Thanks

avoidandroid

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Having no luck whatsoever. I have a backup in my Dropbox and when I try to restore, it says "nothing to restore". I've made sure in my settings that I have Dropbox checked. I must be doing something wrong.

MoneyMaker79

Nov 13, 2014
Having no luck whatsoever. I have a backup in my Dropbox and when I try to restore, it says "nothing to restore". I've made sure in my settings that I have Dropbox checked. I must be doing something wrong.

Trust me, it's not just you. I also tried to do the steps the developer gave me. A friend that's on an iPhone 6 it works for. This makes me think it's not iPhone 6+ ready.

jt999

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
Trust me, it's not just you. I also tried to do the steps the developer gave me. A friend that's on an iPhone 6 it works for. This makes me think it's not iPhone 6+ ready.

I was able to restore on my 6+.
I just selected restore and then pressed the Dropbox icon.
Everything restored perfectly.
In settings I have it set to save 9 backups.

MoneyMaker79

Nov 13, 2014
I was able to restore on my 6+.
I just selected restore and then pressed the Dropbox icon.
Everything restored perfectly.
In settings I have it set to save 9 backups.

I've never had issues with PKGBackup until this jailbreak. It only shows my backup as ~0.239 Mb, and restore says DropBox error or no restore found etc. What are your settings in PKGBackup? I tried the save as DEB and it saved all as DEB but then restoring still doesn't work.

jt999

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
i've never had issues with pkgbackup until this jailbreak. It only shows my backup as ~0.239 mb, and restore says dropbox error or no restore found etc. What are your settings in pkgbackup? I tried the save as deb and it saved all as deb but then restoring still doesn't work.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416133679.214471.jpg

teameurox

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010

I also have this problem, used pkgbackup for years and it won't load any of my backups from other devices

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I also have this problem, used pkgbackup for years and it won't load any of my backups from other devices

You should not be trying to use previous backups of previous devices on a new device with newer firmware. Trying to do a restore using such a backup will certainly throw your device into a bootloop since many of your hacks from previous device on older firmware simply won't work on new device with newer firmware.

teameurox

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
You should not be trying to use previous backups of previous devices on a new device with newer firmware. Trying to do a restore using such a backup will certainly throw your device into a bootloop since many of your hacks from previous device on older firmware simply won't work on new device with newer firmware.

It's not to do a restore, just to be able to load the backup to see what repos, tweaks etc were installed on the old device.

MoneyMaker79

Nov 13, 2014
It's not to do a restore, just to be able to load the backup to see what repos, tweaks etc were installed on the old device.

Can you help me with my PKGBackup issue?

The dev sent me this but I am not very good with iFile in this sense. Maybe you can give me direction?

Here is the fix: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tv0u7h65z7qsrc2/PkgBackup-7.0.7-fix.deb (same link, different binary)
Install the deb on top of Cydia's version after launch it at least once & visiting the settings option.
Keep me posted!

teameurox

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
Can you help me with my PKGBackup issue?

The dev sent me this but I am not very good with iFile in this sense. Maybe you can give me direction?

Here is the fix: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tv0u7h65z7qsrc2/PkgBackup-7.0.7-fix.deb (same link, different binary)

Install the deb on top of Cydia's version after launch it at least once & visiting the settings option.

Keep me posted!

Installed via ifile and the issue is still present not loading any other device backups

teameurox

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
My question was, where do I put it in iFile?

If the issue is still there, then not sure what to say. I haven't had issues with PKGBackup until now. :(

From what you stated.... I took it as following---- install pkgbackup from Cydia. Then download the file open it in ifile, choose installer---- this will overwrite the Cydia version with the fix.

Although the issues are still present

MoneyMaker79

Nov 13, 2014
From what you stated.... I took it as following---- install pkgbackup from Cydia. Then download the file open it in ifile, choose installer---- this will overwrite the Cydia version with the fix.

Although the issues are still present

I did what you stated, and PKGBackup then just crashes, and also then Cydia shows an update of course....but that's just the original of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.