Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taran420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Hi

Is there an application that will either allow me to upgrade or restore iOS?
iTunes is truly messed up and I'm looking for some other alternatives.

I saw Redsnow allowed this but it doesn't support 7.0 and above

Any other similar applications?

Thank you.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Hi

Is there an application that will either allow me to upgrade or restore iOS?
iTunes is truly messed up and I'm looking for some other alternatives.

I saw Redsnow allowed this but it doesn't support 7.0 and above

Any other similar applications?

Thank you.

You can UPGRADE or RESTORE directly on the device itself.

However, if you are looking to DOWNGRADE, you'll likely need iTunes and the ipsw file you are downgrading to.

EDIT: Or are you talking about restoring while keeping JB? Doesn't it persist through restore? If not, I would assume you would need to restore and re-jailbreak via the same method you did so the first time.

taran420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Toronto, Canada
You can UPGRADE or RESTORE directly on the device itself.

However, if you are looking to DOWNGRADE, you'll likely need iTunes and the ipsw file you are downgrading to.

EDIT: Or are you talking about restoring while keeping JB? Doesn't it persist through restore? If not, I would assume you would need to restore and re-jailbreak via the same method you did so the first time.
I guess I should've been more clear. iPhone 5 just shut and wouldn't turn on. Tried to restore since it's in recovery mode but with iTunes it's just stuck in "waiting for iPhone" screen and the iphone itself just sits on a empty progress bar.

So I was thinking maybe a third party app exists to restore firmware somehow

It wasn't jailbroken

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I guess I should've been more clear. iPhone 5 just shut and wouldn't turn on. Tried to restore since it's in recovery mode but with iTunes it's just stuck in "waiting for iPhone" screen and the iphone itself just sits on a empty progress bar.

It wasn't jailbroken

I would suggest taking it into an Apple Store if it wasn't jailbroken. I've had iPhones get stuck in the restore process before, but after a few tries they would eventually get through.

I know you said its in recovery mode already, but have you tried putting in DFU mode again and then restoring?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012

It wasn't jailbroken

Try putting the device into DFU mode (screen should be all black) and try restoring again

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

It wasn't jailbroken

If it shut down and wont turn on and wont restore then most likely it has a hardware issue.
Its not an itunes fault and not something another program can go around and restore it without itunes bypassing hardware problems.
So in other words whether you like itunes or not you need to restore it using itunes. If it still doesn't restore even with DFU mode then the phone has issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.