Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
I recently had my iP5 replaced and after restoring a backup have noticed a few things missing.

In the default Photos app I used to be able to click the small square-arrow icon in the bottom-left corner and then select from several apps to the right of the default ones (Messages, Mail, iCloud, etc.) but these have all gone.

I thought it might be in the privacy settings, but the apps I want to use are in there for photos and switched on, but they aren't displayed.

Am I missing something else?

Thanks

mojito

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2014
Hmm, sounds strange. Are you running the latest version of iOS on your phone or did it revert back to an old version? See if you can upgrade or reinstall the OS and see if it works. If not, might need to be started anew, which shouldn't be a problem since your stuff is backed up, correct?

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
New phone came with 6.x but updated to 7.1.2 and then restored local backup. Would prefer not to have to reset to factory default and then set everything up again!

This is the bit I'm talking about:

Photo-2014-08-14-12-29-52_3796.PNG

Last edited:

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Exactly like that! I've got loads of apps installed that previous appeared in that bar underneath Airdrop but now just the standard ones.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
This is just a thought, but have you since re-opened the apps and signed in after restoring your new phone? There is a small chance that is the issue.

techn9ne

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2014
Exactly like that! I've got loads of apps installed that previous appeared in that bar underneath Airdrop but now just the standard ones.

Hmm. Maybe it's because I don't use AirDrop, but what about this makes things easier? (Not being facetious, legit wondering.) Isn't it just as simple to go to whatever app you're trying to send the pic to and just open it from your photo library?

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010

What you are thinking of never was possible with iOS. What I showed you is In-app-sharing. You can share files (photos, audio, video, docs, etc,) between compatible apps, who's developer has enabled it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What you are thinking of never was possible with iOS. What I showed you is In-app-sharing. You can share files (photos, audio, video, docs, etc,) between compatible apps, who's developer has enabled it.
Sounds like the question is about those compatible apps that were listed before but not now.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Sending photos directly to other apps

Sounds like the question is about those compatible apps that were listed before but not now.

They never were. In-app-sharing applies to 3rd party apps, that must be written to work with the Photos app to work, not the other way around, because with privacy settings, one can turn off or on any 3rd party app's access to photos videos and camera. The feature of being able to work directly with 3rd party APIs from within the Photos app comes with iOS 8

It has to do with the nature of how sand boxing and in-app-sharing works in iOS with iOS 7 and previous. To have that feature the OP is describing, the Photos sandbox would have to be re-written every time a new photo editing app came out to include access to that new app.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.