Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaydennz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
Hey guys,

I get this kernel panic every time I try to install a new os. Any idea what it means?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 154

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hey guys,

I get this kernel panic every time I try to install a new os. Any idea what it means?
It's not finding a driver for your Mac. Says it right there in the first line.

Are you using a gray, model-specific install disk for a Mac that is a different model than the one you are trying to install OS X on?

jaydennz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
It is a grey disk but it is the one that came with the mac, according to the person who sold it to me. I'm not getting that error anymore, now the one attached.

Thankz

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 89

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It is a grey disk but it is the one that came with the mac, according to the person who sold it to me. I'm not getting that error anymore, now the one attached.

Thankz
Well, I doubt that, but I'm not there with you. Based on the previous KP you have an iMac G4 17" (the lampshade). Does the model printed on the disk match up with what you have?

If not then that is the problem. In which case I would try and get a retail install disk (comes with an X on the front) and then see what happens.

If this is the original install disk then of course, something else is wrong. Your second KP seems to indicate that OS X can't talk to the CPU. But I'm no expert.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Your post 1 and post 3 show that you are booting to different OS X versions.
Post 1 is booting to some version of OS X 10.4 - and
Post 3 is booting to some version of OS X 10.5.
So, each is a different installer version (2 different disks)
If you have a grey disk (or both are grey), and an iMac G4, then neither disk is one that will install on an iMac G4, which never shipped originally with a system that new. (those grey disks won't install, as they are not original - you need a commercial OS X installer DVD - with a black label.)
Two questions:
1. Which DVD do you have (what version of OS X is listed on the label?)
2. Exactly which Mac model are you trying to install to?

Last edited:

jaydennz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
I have two different pieces of install media. One is a grey disk for tiger that is a somewhat stuck in the optical drive. The other option is a legally ripped DMG of the retail version of OS X 10.5( the black disc) that is contained on an external hdd( using CCC)

My imac is a 1.25 ghz 17 inch usb 2 imac g4. Power mac 6,1 is the id

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The grey disk won't work (installs only on the Mac that it shipped with, which is not your G4 iMac)
What do you mean by "somewhat stuck"?
(Is that like "somewhat pregnant"? :D )
The 10.5 installer _should_ install, but maybe there's a memory problem.
Do you know how much RAM is installed? 10.5 won't install if there's less than 512 MB. Your G4 iMac might still have the original factory stick, which may still be 256 MB.
The G4 iMac is tricky to get all the RAM upgraded, as there's two different types of memory slots. One stick in the user-accesible slot is easy. The other, factory slot, needs more disassembly, along with breaking a heatsink seal.

jaydennz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
The grey disk won't work (installs only on the Mac that it shipped with, which is not your G4 iMac)
What do you mean by "somewhat stuck"?
(Is that like "somewhat pregnant"? :D )
The 10.5 installer _should_ install, but maybe there's a memory problem.
Do you know how much RAM is installed? 10.5 won't install if there's less than 512 MB. Your G4 iMac might still have the original factory stick, which may still be 256 MB.
The G4 iMac is tricky to get all the RAM upgraded, as there's two different types of memory slots. One stick in the user-accesible slot is easy. The other, factory slot, needs more disassembly, along with breaking a heatsink seal.

I mean somewhat stuck as in its super hard to get open as it gets stuck on a black flap on the front of the drive. So much effort that its not really practical to use the optical drive anymore.
I installed two new memory sticks so it is at 2 gb now, it was at 768mb. Maybe because it is unsupported by apple the install won't run, i did buy it from OWC so I'm pretty sure its the correct ram.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I installed two new memory sticks so it is at 2 gb now, it was at 768mb. Maybe because it is unsupported by apple the install won't run, i did buy it from OWC so I'm pretty sure its the correct ram.
The RAM may be defective, or you might have dust in the RAM slots, which is pretty common when you put RAM into an old computer. Put the original RAM back in and test with that.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I mean somewhat stuck as in its super hard to get open as it gets stuck on a black flap on the front of the drive. So much effort that its not really practical to use the optical drive anymore.

I've seen this occasionally on replacement drives. Did you replace the optical drive (or maybe a previous owner did that?) A replacement optical drive may still have the drive tray trim bezel, which is just a decorative piece on the tray that can usually be removed quite easily. That piece just unsnaps, or you can even pop it off with a small screwdriver. The other tip is to manually hold the slot door open when opening or closing the tray. That may help prevent the tray catching on the door.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.