Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigfib

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Anyone having any problems with their printers on the new imacs?
My HP psc1315 wroks fine, but the epson 5800L laser won't print.
I tried the built in driver; and the PPC driver from epson but tho it gets the printer status OK it just gets stuck on "sending data".
Said printer works fine on 10.4 on my G3 ibook...
Any ideas?

brettbolt

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2006
Rocklin, California
bigfib said:
Anyone having any problems with their printers on the new imacs?
My HP psc1315 wroks fine, but the epson 5800L laser won't print.
I tried the built in driver; and the PPC driver from epson but tho it gets the printer status OK it just gets stuck on "sending data".
Said printer works fine on 10.4 on my G3 ibook...
Any ideas?
I heard a few days ago from a CompUSA salesman that the intel imacs had some problems with certain printer drivers. Maybe Rosetta is not fully compatable with your epson printer driver (unless it is already a UB, which I doubt).

I haven't tried a USB printer on mine yet, but yesterday I hooked up an HP Laserjet 4050. It connects fine to the intel imac via ethernet (using a JetDirect print server on the HP).

bigfib

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
brettbolt said:
Maybe Rosetta is not fully compatable with your epson printer driver (unless it is already a UB, which I doubt).
Nah,
I was using the native driver supplied on the apple disks to start with...
As it didnt work, i tried the epson PPC driver under rosetta with exactly the same result.
Have now gone back to the UB driver, and it still doesn't work.
Just phoned applecare (how nice are those people? amazing service); and they think its maybe a bug and are looking into it for me.
Will keep you posted.

jsfpa

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
No problem here with an Epson RX600 (all in one) and A HP 1022 laser printer. The laser is connected to my Airport's USB port. All works well.

bigfib

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Console errors

I noticed that trying to print on my epson generates the following error in the console; in case that means anything to anyone...

2006-01-30 23:30:47.474 Mail[278] InkChecker could not launch , launch path not accessible
Jan 30 23:31:03 nick EPL_5800L: kCGErrorRangeCheck : Window Server communications from outside of session allowed for root and console user only

macmadman

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2006
Printer problems and success on mactel

I was intrigued by your note saying that you are able to use your Epson R300 on an Intel iMac with no problems...I have not been able to get mine to work well at all except when using the GIMP print driver. I have had nothing but trouble installing the Epson 1.7b driver and once it finally worked I can only do basic printing, in fact whole parts of the drop down printing menu (like print settings where you can choose to print on a CD) are crossed out and if you select it you get a message saying that it is not compatible with this computer.

Epson has been no help simply saying that they don't have a driver and to check back (with no ETA).

Also, when you install the printer there is no way to add the Epson R300 borderless printer, so there is no way to make borderless photos.
If you've found a way around all of this I would DEFINATELY like to know...thanks so much!

On a brighter note my HP 2550L works fine as does my Dymo LabelWriter 330 Turbo...

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
bigfib said:
I noticed that trying to print on my epson generates the following error in the console; in case that means anything to anyone...

2006-01-30 23:30:47.474 Mail[278] InkChecker could not launch , launch path not accessible
Jan 30 23:31:03 nick EPL_5800L: kCGErrorRangeCheck : Window Server communications from outside of session allowed for root and console user only

I just remembered why I gave my Epson printer away, for free. I didn't want it anymore. I don't print much, so everytime I tried to print a page, the ink was dried, so I had to clean the cartridges which seems to cost as much ink as printing 100 pages.

And then it didn't let me print a plain black and white page because the color cartridge was empty. And I had three full black and white cartridges and no color cartridge. The color cartridge was just emptied from cleaning the print head (and you couldn't clean the black and white head only).

Samsung LaserWriter: You choose print, it prints.

bigfib

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Apple listens and fixes

Apple admitted and fixed my epson driver probs in the 10.4.5 update...
Well happy. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.