Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wickedwahine11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
I have a question for anyone with AT&T. I bought my iPhone 5 when it came out and therefore the line is eligible for an upgrade on 9/22/14 (I just checked and got that date on Apple's website). But if the new iPhone 6 comes out on 9/19 then I would not be eligible for an upgrade then.

I can't be the only person in this boat, do you guys think will AT&T allow its users to upgrade the 3 days early? Or will I need to call customer service to get my upgrade eligibility moved up the three days? If it matters, I would be buying the phone at an AT&T store, not Apple.

All this of course is based on my being able to keep my grandfathered data plan, fingers crossed...as my spouse just bought a 5S a little while back and got to keep it.

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
if you're due for upgrade any time in Sept, you can upgrade on Sept 1

Last edited:

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Even if they made you wait a few days, why not just wait?

Meanwhile, I just looked at pricing to upgrade to 5S, 32gb. I have 4 iphones, 10gb data, $160 per month

PHONE WELL OUT OF CONTRACT:

a) 31.25 for 24 months or $750 total
b) 37.50 for 20 months or $750 total

c) Buy outright $750
d) 2 Yr Contract $300 plus $25 per month $900 total

PHONE WITH YEAR LEFT ON CONTRACT
20 and 24 month NEXT - same price as above
Buy outright, same price as above
2 Yr Contract $550 plus $25 month or $1,150

Am I reading this right? I think with a,b or c there is not addtional monthly fee from my current plan? But a 2 year contract there is?

andrewmaj

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Even if they made you wait a few days, why not just wait?

Meanwhile, I just looked at pricing to upgrade to 5S, 32gb. I have 4 iphones, 10gb data, $160 per month

PHONE WELL OUT OF CONTRACT:

a) 31.25 for 24 months or $750 total
b) 37.50 for 20 months or $750 total

c) Buy outright $750
d) 2 Yr Contract $300 plus $25 per month $900 total

PHONE WITH YEAR LEFT ON CONTRACT
20 and 24 month NEXT - same price as above
Buy outright, same price as above
2 Yr Contract $550 plus $25 month or $1,150

Am I reading this right? I think with a,b or c there is not addtional monthly fee from my current plan? But a 2 year contract there is?

I just went through this the other day with them. Any 2 year plan not on NEXT the cost is $40 per month per line. You lose the "discount" of $25 per month.

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Wait 2 days?

I can't understand why this isn't the instant response.

Wait a couple days. If you don't have the maturity to handle two days of waiting, you have no business buying something that requires a contract or monthly charge.

wickedwahine11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
I can't understand why this isn't the instant response.

Wait a couple days. If you don't have the maturity to handle two days of waiting, you have no business buying something that requires a contract or monthly charge.

Jeez guys, chill out. I'm not worrying about waiting two days, I'm worried about waiting weeks if the one I intend to buy gets sold out on launch day. I recall from previous iPhone releases the back orders that occur for folks that did not buy the one they wanted on launch day. Nevermind...

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
Jeez guys, chill out. I'm not worrying about waiting two days, I'm worried about waiting weeks if the one I intend to buy gets sold out on launch day. I recall from previous iPhone releases the back orders that occur for folks that did not buy the one they wanted on launch day. Nevermind...

I think you'll be fine. Check your AT&T account on or around Sep. first and you should see the eligibility date change to the first. This is what the store rep. explained to me when I asked what my upgrade date was a few weeks ago.

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012

It's a phone, man. We get carried away with new tech, but what it boils down to is that it's just a phone. Unless you desperately need a new phone, as in, you don't have a functioning one, a wait - whether 2 days or 2 weeks - seems like a non issue.

If your upgrade comes early, great. Go for it. If not, don't sweat the small stuff, and get it when your upgrade is available and it's in stock.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
Do what I do: I upgrade every year....for free. NEVER on AT&T Next, only 2-yr. contracts, as I don't want to lose my unlimited plan or any of my other grandfathered plans and feature codes.

You get slightly less than half the subsidy for 1-yr. upgrades ($449, instead of $199 for 2-yrs., but still way better than the full cost of $649, to use a 16GB model as an example).

Once you get the upgrade and activate it, your existing phone can be unlocked (at least by my carrier, AT&T, again, for free, as it is now out of contract). This adds value to the existing device and I usually end up selling it for around what the half-subsidy is. Been doing it since the 3GS, every year! :D

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
Do what I do: I upgrade every year....for free. NEVER on AT&T Next, only 2-yr. contracts, as I don't want to lose my unlimited plan or any of my other grandfathered plans and feature codes.

You don't lose your Unlimited plan by doing AT&T's NEXT program. I did it through Apple yesterday as a test and the system kept my unlimited plan on all the way through.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Based on the online numbers for the 5S, the price for NEXT is the same even if a year before your upgrade date - so, no big worry, right?

iZollo

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012

You get slightly less than half the subsidy for 1-yr. upgrades ($449, instead of $199 for 2-yrs., but still way better than the full cost of $649, to use a 16GB model as an example).

Once you get the upgrade and activate it, your existing phone can be unlocked (at least by my carrier, AT&T, again, for free, as it is now out of contract). This adds value to the existing device and I usually end up selling it for around what the half-subsidy is. Been doing it since the 3GS, every year! :D

What I do is use my family's upgrade each year so I buy the iPhone 32gb for 299 every year on 2 year contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.