Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Fair Labor Association (FLA) today published a new report examining two factories operated by Apple-supplier Quanta Computer, finding several code violations related to working hours, recruitment policies, compensation, health and safety, and more in August of 2013 [PDF] (via TechCrunch).

Factories examined included a Quanta facility in Shanghai and one in Changshu. Quanta is a long-time Apple partner that manufactures Apple's MacBook Air and much of the rest of the company's Mac lineup.

Violations were found in both locations, with some of the more egregious issues including verbal abuse by supervisors, a hiring fee charged to workers by a broker or labor dispatch agent and long working hours. According to the report, 62 percent of workers in Changshu received no rest day for much of Q4 2012, working as many as 16 days in a row.

supplierscore.jpg
Overall score summary of management functions at Changshu
Many workers were also underpaid for sick leave and may have been uncompensated for up to an hour of work each day, based on clock in and clock out times. Some workers were forced into joining the All China Federation of Trade Unions, and there were several safety violations.

Both of the factories fell short of the local requirements for indoor air quality, and neither had easy access to a shower/eyewash station in case of emergency. There was no active worker participation in the Employee Health and Safety committees, and flammable and toxic substances were stored improperly at Shanghai while chemicals at Changshu were not properly monitored.

The Fair Labor Association provided a number of recommendations to improve conditions at the factory, and according to the report, Apple is using the recommendations to work with Quanta to fix each code violation. Apple released a statement on the FLA's Quanta inspection, stating that it has worked closely with Quanta to bring improvements to working conditions.
Our suppliers must live up to the toughest standards in the industry if they want to keep doing business with Apple, which is the first and only technology company to be admitted to the Fair Labor Association. We are committed to providing safe and fair working conditions for everyone in our supply chain.

Last year we conducted 451 comprehensive, in-person audits deep into our supply chain so we could uncover problems and work with our suppliers to fix them. We track and report the weekly working hours for more than 1 million workers, and our 18-month Apple Supplier EHS Academy training program is raising the bar for environment, health and safety management in the industry.

The Quanta facilities inspected by the FLA last year were included in our 2014 Supplier Responsibility report, which we released in February. Our own experts have audited these sites 16 times, most recently last month.

In the year since the FLA's visit, we have worked closely with Quanta to drive meaningful improvements in areas identified by both the FLA and Apple. Apple conducted four follow-up inspections on top of the annual audits of both facilities, to ensure the needed corrections are in place.

This year, through the end of July, Quanta has averaged 86 percent compliance with our 60-hour workweek. Excessive overtime is not in anyone's best interest, and we will continue to work closely with Quanta and our other suppliers to prevent it.
Apple initially signed up for factory assessments by the Fair Labor Association back in 2012, following a rash of worker suicides at Foxconn, the factory responsible for assembling many of Apple's mobile devices. The FLA has since helped to improve working conditions in several of Apple's factories, with Apple aiming to bring all workplace compliance standards in line with the FLA's guidelines.

Apple also maintains a Supplier Responsibility team that audits supply chain facilities to ensure compliance with Apple's strict code of conduct preventing underage labor and providing safe, comfortable living conditions for workers. An additional Supplier Responsiblity academic board also evaluates Apple's labor policies and practices and researches labor standards within the supply chain to create ethical working conditions wherever Apple products are produced.

Article Link: Apple Working to Remedy Labor Violations Found at Quanta Factories

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Americans "why I'd work that job for free! They should quit complaining"

Watch how Americans don't mind that wealthy businessmen (apple) takes advantage of poor favored workers.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
If I were to count the number of times in my life I've worked 16+ days straight on my fingers...well, I'd need a lot more fingers.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Man, I sure hate it when people try to improve anything about the world. Especially when they succeed! How dare people track and report this information and then follow up on it!

(Just helping people out who seem to feel that way about any thread relating to something other than profit and leaked bits of metal :p )

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Samsung is a big company. Why are there never any labor violations reported there ? ?

cause they haven't found any violations that other companies are committing they believe are 'cool enough' to commit themselves.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011

Watch how Americans don't mind that wealthy businessmen (apple) takes advantage of poor favored workers.

They're not taking advantage of them, those workers out there under their own free will, and because they get a better deal working there than they would anywhere else.

If Apple is actively trying to improve the working conditions in their supplier factories, that's fine, but let's not pretend that there's massive oppression going on here.

Last edited:

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline

But how can such travesties occur in a worker's paradise? Especially when those workers are protected by the All China Federation of Trade Unions?

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
Over time should be voluntary and available for employees to take advantage of! Forced over time is not unusual . Working at the airport for instance! You plan to go home at 8pm and a thunder storm moves in? Guess what? You be their after midnight!

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
I"m curious about something. What other companies are clients of this one. What do their labor records look like.

There are likely dozens of other clients to these companies. I don't see anything in the article suggesting that these violations were restricted to the employees/lines working on Apple products.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Samsung is a big company. Why are there never any labor violations reported there ? ?

Like Apple, Samsung has been trying to crack down on their suppliers.

They even go the lengths of providing facial recognition equipment to their suppliers to keep people from sneaking in using someone else's ID, which use to be very common.

However, neither Apple nor Samsung can really stop this kind of thing, since it's so prevalent in that part of the world. Moreover, many teens buy fake IDs so they can get summer jobs.

----------

I heard that's what it's like working at Google. They make it so that there's no reason to go home.

Programmers are abused all the time :)

For example, we're finishing up a project with a hard deadline, so we've been coding for 80 hours a week, and then sometimes 24 hours on weekends. As salaried workers, we get no overtime.

Sometimes I'd love to have a job where I was guaranteed just 8 hours a day. OTOH, it wouldn't pay as much.

DonJudgeMe

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2014
Arizona
This is pretty funny. People would **** themselves if they realized how poorly the people that answered their phones and kept all of their customers were being treated! And that is right here in the US! WAKE UP PEOPLE!

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
no rest ? ouch, that's harsh...

Their not dogs....

Give em a kit kat, and soilder on. :D

Working hours may be different, but no one can work non-stop.... Maybe these guys should of had robot workers instead of Foxconn...

They need it more.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
For example, we're finishing up a project with a hard deadline, so we've been coding for 80 hours a week, and then sometimes 24 hours on weekends. As salaried workers, we get no overtime.

Sometimes I'd love to have a job where I was guaranteed just 8 hours a day. OTOH, it wouldn't pay as much.

That's right, not only do you get paid ten times what these people get, you also have room for creativity, enjoy real challenges, get a real sense of accomplishment upon completion, typically get recognition, and don't have to do the same thing every day, every hour of the day.

----------

But how can such travesties occur in a worker's paradise? Especially when those workers are protected by the All China Federation of Trade Unions?

Hello! 1957 called and wants your opinion back!

kdarling

macrumors P6
That's right, not only do you get paid ten times what these people get, you also have room for creativity, enjoy real challenges, get a real sense of accomplishment upon completion, typically get recognition, and don't have to do the same thing every day, every hour of the day.

Well, all that used to be true, anyway :)

Things will never be like they were before the dot-com bust. Ah, those were the days! Money flowed like water.

Now it's a boss's market, and everyone's fighting to keep their job.

Btw, long ago I was in the Army, and have little sympathy for civilians who complain about doing voluntary hard work.

Exponent

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Silicon Valley

----------

Hello! 1957 called and wants your opinion back!

Yeah, how dare he mention China's idealogical roots, and massive restrictions on freedom! </sarc>

Oh, you were being snarky. That's just so darn cool....

mcfmullen

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
Programmers are abused all the time :)

As a salaried employee you must still be paid for overtime under law. I am salaried and am paid overtime all the time. It is also illegal to work more than 40 hrs a week without paid overtime and illegal to work more than 7 days without a day of rest.

All of you need to seriously report this to your representatives!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.