Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howard-d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
I have a late 2006 iMac running lion. I also have Final Cut Express loaded in 2006. After 8 years I've had to wipe the hard drive and reinstall the OS. The result is that FCE 3.5 will not reinstall. I've made the decision to finally upgrade the hardware and purchase FC Pro X. What I'm worried about is whether this version will run my FCE projects. One is ongoing with several hours of interviews in the scratch and half an hour edited. Don't really want to have to upload all the video again (I still use tape) and start over. Any information/ideas would be most welcome.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Will Mavericks and FCP X even run on your Mac?

Your FCE projects will not open in FCP X. If FCE can export a FCP compliant XML (which there's it good chance it cannot) then you can buy a third party app that might be able to convert your FCE project into an FCP X project.

Howard-d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
Caught between the devil and the deep

Thanks for the swift reply LW. It was as I thought. Bummer. I presume it will be possible to import the scratch files - Yes?

Nov 28, 2010
located
While FCP X might not load your FCE projects, it can definitely use your already captured media files (the MOV files use the Apple Intermediate Codec, which is a codec FCP X supports, thus your interview project is easily imported from a media view, but getting the sequence will require you to re-edit the already edited half hour.

Howard-d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
Caught between the devil and the deep

Hi Sim,
Thanks for that info - I may have to shell out to upgrade but it's a relief to know that the footage I've already downloaded is useable in its current form.
Thanks v much.

----------

Reply to LW regarding FCE running on Lion. Weird thing was that it did when I upgraded to Lion and I've edited several projects since and although it was very slow and rendering took an age I assumed that was due to my old iMac . That was why I finally reinstalled Lion to clear the gunk out - then it wouldn't even let me reinstall it. I suppose you might say I was lucky but it doesn't feel like that when Apple discards support for the software you purchased.
Thanks again anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.