Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CakeMasterHD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
Hi everyone, my gf had some heat problems with her macbook pro so i decided to deal with it and i came out with a little effective mod. To get started i changed the thermal paste with the mx-4 which dropped the temps 8-10c, after that i still wasn't satisfied and ran some benchmarks on the laptop without the back cover and noticed a huge temperature drop. So, i drilled a 4cm hole above the fan and put a grid on it. The Downside of the mod is that you have to clean your laptop more often like once every 3 months, the reason is the obvious dust accumulation. If you are lazy or have no time to clean the dust out, you can just use the vacuum cleaner or whatever you want to clean it. Anyway i used prime95 and heaven benchmark to pump up the temperatures. Vacuum isn't the best way to clean your laptop, is the lazy way to do it. Thx people to keep repeating it :cool:

this is how it looks
23idmyb.jpg

and now the temperatures, funny thing the fan wont spin up until the temps reaches 85-90c then it lowers down to 70. to prevent this im using lubbos fan control with 2000-6000 rpm and a 76c threshold.

stock thermal paste
3523ehd.jpg

mx-4
5e8mmr.jpg

with the mod
v7cw42.jpg

mod+fan control+max oc on the gpu with msi afterburner
b66ccw.jpg

stock temperatures, cpu: 98c gpu 91c
mx4+mod+fan control+gpu oc, 70c on cpu and 72c on gpu.
thank you for reading and have a nice day.

ps: before being a douchebag it was a mid 2010 macbook pro without warranty.

Last edited:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
stock temperatures, cpu: 98c gpu 91c
mx4+mod+fan control+gpu oc, 70c on cpu and 72c on gpu.
thank you for reading and have a nice day.

ps: before being a douchebag it was a mid 2010 macbook pro without warranty.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything like that unless my computer was having stability issues. Dealing with the extra task of cleaning the dust out ever few months would outweigh any benefits for me.

It's pretty awesome that you were able to get such a significant temperature drop though!

But is that windows?

Nothing wrong with Windows 7, it's actually a pretty solid OS. :p

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Or I could not drill a huge hole in my $1000 notebook and have it continue to function normally and without issue.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Big problem with this is that you have undoubtably altered the airflow path within the laptop, mostly what I would expect you have done is improve airflow to the cpu but it may have reduced airflow over other components that don't have temp sensors and are now at more risk of unknown heat stress and earlier failure.

Apple aren't idiots when they design these things.

CakeMasterHD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
Big problem with this is that you have undoubtably altered the airflow path within the laptop, mostly what I would expect you have done is improve airflow to the cpu but it may have reduced airflow over other components that don't have temp sensors and are now at more risk of unknown heat stress and earlier failure.

Apple aren't idiots when they design these things.

well i put under stress test everything for a half an hour, and the laser thermometer i borrow from my neighbor didn't show nothing unusual on other components like battery and different areas of the mbp. usually i don't like the feeling of my legs burning off while using a laptop lol.

----------

Or I could not drill a huge hole in my $1000 notebook and have it continue to function normally and without issue.

if you doo't have a warranty and you know what you doin, i don't see the problem.

----------

I don't see the reasoning behind this. You should have stopped after the application of the thermal paste.

freaking 92c as a peak on a gpu is pretty damn hot. i know i put too less on it but even 88 is much for my tastes. i don't like the smell of melting components asd.
ps: yep i know that the tj max is 105c, i prefer things more cool, ice cool.

----------

Personally, I wouldn't do anything like that unless my computer was having stability issues. Dealing with the extra task of cleaning the dust out ever few months would outweigh any benefits for me.

It's pretty awesome that you were able to get such a significant temperature drop though!

Nothing wrong with Windows 7, it's actually a pretty solid OS. :p

vacuum cleaning the laptop once in a while isn't that horrible for such a temperature reduction. i have to clean up my pc and the other laptops every 5-6 months.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
well i put under stress test everything for a half an hour, and the laser thermometer i borrow from my neighbor didn't show nothing unusual on other components

Great, I'll let Apple know they can cut out a lot of time they spend in product development testing...:rolleyes:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Seems a little extreme to me. If you're getting 90c from normal usage, then perhaps something else is wrong. You attacked the symptom and not the problem.

Giev

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2013
So you prefered to exhchage heat fo dust? There is a reason none of the laptops have an air intake underneath the laptop, it will turn into a vacuum cleaner!

Also, vacuum cleaning electric devices is a bad idea. (technical reasosn, nor personal preference)

CakeMasterHD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
Seems a little extreme to me. If you're getting 90c from normal usage, then perhaps something else is wrong. You attacked the symptom and not the problem.

omg, did you read at least and toke a look at the pictures?

----------

So you prefered to exhchage heat fo dust? There is a reason none of the laptops have an air intake underneath the laptop, it will turn into a vacuum cleaner!

Also, vacuum cleaning electric devices is a bad idea. (technical reasosn, nor personal preference)

it isn't louder than before, and if you use the vacuum cleaner you don have to to crank the speed at the max otherwise it could suck your little hypocrite macuser finger and chop it off.

----------

Great, I'll let Apple know they can cut out a lot of time they spend in product development testing...:rolleyes:
lol, until you have warranty you shouldn't do more than swapping thermal paste, but when you out, a little mod to longer the life of your device won't hurt . not everyone has money to buy a new laptop every year.

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
Using a vacuum cleaner on a pc/laptop is a very bad idea because of the fact that it produce a lot of static electricity which could easily kill components on the logic board, it could even completely kill the machine.

That's why it's always recommended tu use compressed air instead, there is no physical contact that way.

CakeMasterHD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
Using a vacuum cleaner on a pc/laptop is a very bad idea because of the fact that it produce a lot of static electricity which could easily kill components on the logic board, it could even completely kill the machine.

That's why it's always recommended tu use compressed air instead, there is no physical contact that way.

k genius, i didn't say vacuum cleaning is the ultimate cleaning method.

CakeMasterHD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
Except my 6-year-old 17-inch MacBook Pro continues to function perfectly... No mods needed.

i did the mod cuz i think 90c all the time when im browsing and doing other stuff is kinda boring and loud as well and hot, waaaay hot. now i can even play fallout 3 without worrying about hand burnings lol

----------

Nobody insulted you, so no need to go "k genius" on me.

I just said that to help, so see it as it is.
asd, people get offended kinda easily here :cool:

Last edited:

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
If you think i'm "offended", sorry, I'm not.

I just don't understand your reaction towards people trying to help you, that's all.

You have a good machine, kudos on the lower temperature, but since you have no more warranty you should be more carefull with it, that's all.

A friend of mine killed the motherboard on his gaming pc because he kept using a vacuum cleaner. He now buy canned air (a small air compressor would be good also, cheaper in the long run) and his PC is as clean as can be and working 100% fine.

CakeMasterHD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
If you think i'm "offended", sorry, I'm not.

I just don't understand your reaction towards people trying to help you, that's all.

You have a good machine, kudos on the lower temperature, but since you have no more warranty you should be more carefull with it, that's all.

A friend of mine killed the motherboard on his gaming pc because he kept using a vacuum cleaner. He now buy canned air (a small air compressor would be good also, cheaper in the long run) and his PC is as clean as can be and working 100% fine.

thats horrible ahah, i repeat i didn't suggest to use vacuum all the time, you can clean it however you want. and when i did it, i was careful and didn't use the max speed and of course i turned the laptop off. normally when i have time i just open the laptop to clean it :D

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
cool mod! i have a 2010 macbook right now, i checked inside and its pretty clean. Gaming or regular usage i never go about 80C. but i do worry when it hovers around 70 when im just browsing and watching videos and stuff.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
vacuum cleaning the laptop once in a while isn't that horrible for such a temperature reduction. i have to clean up my pc and the other laptops every 5-6 months.

A vacuum can actually generate a decent amount of static. Be careful when doing that it you could fry a component and kill your laptop.

----------

thats horrible ahah, i repeat i didn't suggest to use vacuum all the time, you can clean it however you want. and when i did it, i was careful and didn't use the max speed and of course i turned the laptop off. normally when i have time i just open the laptop to clean it :D

You did say you clean it every 3 months and you mentioned using a vacuum. It doesn't matter if you don't run it on the maximum speed and the laptop is off, it is still generating a lot of static and can damage components.

If you're cutting vents in your MBP in order to lower temperatures and give the computer a longer life, I'd think you'd want to be more careful when cleaning it out.

CakeMasterHD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
A vacuum can actually generate a decent amount of static. Be careful when doing that it you could fry a component and kill your laptop.

----------

You did say you clean it every 3 months and you mentioned using a vacuum. It doesn't matter if you don't run it on the maximum speed and the laptop is off, it is still generating a lot of static and can damage components.

If you're cutting vents in your MBP in order to lower temperatures and give the computer a longer life, I'd think you'd want to be more careful when cleaning it out.

well im lazy ahah, but for now i never had problems with it:p

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
lol, until you have warranty you shouldn't do more than swapping thermal paste, but when you out, a little mod to longer the life of your device won't hurt . not everyone has money to buy a new laptop every year.

If you still have warranty then you shouldn't mess with thermal paste at all.

No I can't replace mine every year either, thats why I try not to blast it with static every 3mths.

CakeMasterHD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
If you still have warranty then you shouldn't mess with thermal paste at all.

No I can't replace mine every year either, thats why I try not to blast it with static every 3mths.
lol its enough to not to scratch the screws, and if there are any stickers remove them carefully then put them back at the end. if you don't know what you doing then don't do it. i did this already and when the jack connector of my lap was broken i just sent it and they changed it. :cool:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.