Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rbk23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
I am very ocd about these kind of things and most of you would have probably been fine with anyone of these I returned

But #9 has no uneven tints, no sever yellow tint, no IR and only very minor backlight bleed. So there are near perfect screens out there.

Everyone of the first 8 had very noticeable uneven yellow tints on a portion of the screen.

I felt stupid every time I exchanged, but the persistence paid off in the long run.
I cannot believe the Apple Store allowed me to exchange that many, but I am very happy that they did. :apple:

IceMacMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2010
If I did 4 returns over such perversity I would be way too embarrassed to mention it to anyone, let alone start a thread over it.

OCD is a generous term for such a person.

Reactions: Mac32 and robvas

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
since I've already clicked on this thread, I have to ask: what tasks do you do with this computer that warrants this high level of...'perfection'?

He spent $2-3k for it most likely...that's what.

----------

I cannot believe the Apple Store allowed me to exchange that many, but I am very happy that they did. :apple:

Your returns are off to the 'refurb' store where Apple still enjoys higher margins than every other PC manufacturer, so while I'm sure they don't prefer it, it's not the end of the world. :cool:

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

blooperz

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2013
hmm...so 8 returns and its still not perfect? I got a perfect one after 2 returns you must be reallllly unlucky...sounds like you need to return that machine ASAP backlight bleeds are unacceptable!! You've already been there 8 times don't give up now, it almost sounds like your just "settling" at this point... may the odds be ever in your favor =D

iizmoo

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2014
It took me 0 returns to get a near perfect screen as well!

It took me 0 returns to get perfect screens. Never had to exhange or return any Apple products to date :D. 3 MBs, 4 iPads, 1 iPhone, 1 iPod.

Could not detect any imperfections, or anything outside manufacturing tollerances. :cool:

Reactions: Cayden

jimmyco2008

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2014
Wow, lots of haters in this thread...

Information is missing. Is this screen tint issue "normal"? If not, why did OP get a problem child every single time he exchanged? If it is in fact normal, then why did Apple employees exchange so often? Perhaps corporate has instructed Apple employees to always exchange rMBPs whose owners find imperfections?

In any case, as far as I know, my rMBP's display is "flawless"... I'm afraid to look too closely though haha.

Not to hijack, but I figured while I'm here... The 2013 & 2014 rMBPs still get burn-in, right? I'm not up to speed on the display situation, I just know Apple switched from Samsung to LG a while ago or something like that...

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
I got lucky w/ my mid 2014 rMBP. Samsung SSD, perfect screen. Its just the battery life that seems to be abit off.

jg321

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2012
UK
I got lucky w/ my mid 2014 rMBP. Samsung SSD, perfect screen. Its just the battery life that seems to be abit off.

Late 2013 here, no returns. Happy with the screen, happy with the disk-performance. Not sure who manufacture either, don't really care.

Reactions: robvas

5to1

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
If it is in fact normal, then why did Apple employees exchange so often? Perhaps corporate has instructed Apple employees to always exchange rMBPs whose owners find imperfections?

They have a 14 day return policy (in the UK at least), if they refused an exchange people would just return instead and then buy a new one.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
Crazy, over-analyzing nerds like the OP are why we have fat restocking fees on new items. This is why we can't have nice things.

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
If I did 4 returns over such perversity I would be way too embarrassed to mention it to anyone, let alone start a thread over it.

OCD is a generous term for such a person.

No kidding, add that to the fact he did 8. I don't know which is worse.

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Late 2013 here, no returns. Happy with the screen, happy with the disk-performance. Not sure who manufacture either, don't really care.

Disk performance is so fast you wouldn't notice it anyway.
Im just happy mines a because samsung because they make brilliant SSD's with very high quality NAND.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.