Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilky76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2013
Wigan
After nearly a year on the market I've only just noticed there isn't a Black 5C, wonder why Apple didn't release a Black version of the 5C.

If they did i think it would have been alot more popular, moreso for men as the current set of colours are how can i say this abit camp tbh.

Edit

It looks like they did originally have black but never released that colour, and going off this photo it looks best of the bunch in my book.

Apple-iPhone-5C-black.gif

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I think for the reason you listed. A black 5c would have potentially cut into sales for the 5s. A lot of users don't need/want the latest/greatest technology.

IMHO other than white, the colors Apple picked for the 5c appeal mostly to a female customer base. A black, dark gray or navy 5c would likely sell a lot of units.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Traditionally, black iPhones are the best-selling iPhones. And right now, if you want a black iPhone, the choice comes really down to "Do you want a 3-year old iPhone 4S or the most recent 1-year old iPhone 5S?"

Most people will likely opt for the 5S, rather than the 4S. If there was a black 5C, that would likely take sales away from the 5S.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think Apple is moving away from black for some reason.

There is no black 5s either (and NO, just because the Space Gray 5s has black windows, does NOT make it black - it's gray!).

I have a friend who has the flourescent green 5c. Yesterday he showed me a new screen protector he put on it. I commented that he had it in a black case. He acknowledged that it was because there was too much green.

So, that's probably part of Apple's reasoning too. If the customer wants black, they can just buy a case.

With the pictures of the iPhone 6 that are out there it's looking more and more like I will be staying with my Black/Slate iPhone 5.

----------

Traditionally, black iPhones are the best-selling iPhones. And right now, if you want a black iPhone, the choice comes really down to "Do you want a 3-year old iPhone 4S or the most recent 1-year old iPhone 5S?"

Most people will likely opt for the 5S, rather than the 4S. If there was a black 5C, that would likely take sales away from the 5S.
The black/slate iPhone 5 also remains an option, although you have to find it somewhere other than Apple. Unlike the stainless steel band on the 4s, the 5 is entirely black (except for the slate (dark gray) metal plate on the back.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida

There is no black 5s either (and NO, just because the Space Gray 5s has black windows, does NOT make it black - it's gray!).

Agreed. I definitely like the slate/black option more. I think with some tweaks, Apple could have kept it. That's just me.

Slate is better than 'space' gray. (Name wise too, what does the 'space' mean? It's just gray..)

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

I have a friend who has the flourescent green 5c. Yesterday he showed me a new screen protector he put on it. I commented that he had it in a black case. He acknowledged that it was because there was too much green.

So, that's probably part of Apple's reasoning too. If the customer wants black, they can just buy a case.

With the pictures of the iPhone 6 that are out there it's looking more and more like I will be staying with my Black/Slate iPhone 5.

----------

The black/slate iPhone 5 also remains an option, although you have to find it somewhere other than Apple. Unlike the stainless steel band on the 4s, the 5 is entirely black (except for the slate (dark gray) metal plate on the back.

Yes I also liked the Black/Slate color the best. I went with the gold 5S because of my dislike of the Gray color. I was hoping there would be a black 6 but that looks doubtful now.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Agreed. I definitely like the slate/black option more. I think with some tweaks, Apple could have kept it. That's just me.

Slate is better than 'space' gray. (Name wise too, what does the 'space' mean? It's just gray..)
In my opinion, Apple chose to "resolve" it's iPhone 5 scuffing issues by reducing the amount of time during anondization of the 5s cases. That gives you a gray and not a black. Since the gray is closer to the silver and white, scuffing is less noticeable.

Voila! Problem solved.

As to the name, yeah, I have always thought that that was a misnomer. The last time I checked, space was dark. Where there is absence of light in space, it's pitch black. So, what the hell does "space" have to do with gray?

Guess the name just sounded "cool" or something. I refer to it as the Spaced out Gray or Spacey Gray 5s.

----------

Yes I also liked the Black/Slate color the best. I went with the gold 5S because of my dislike of the Gray color. I was hoping there would be a black 6 but that looks doubtful now.
Yeah, all the pics I keep seeing are of a gray iPhone 6. Supposedly there are different colors, but I want black. If Apple doesn't offer that, well, I've done 3.5 years on a WinMo phone and was comfortable with that. I can do 3.5 or more on my black/slate iPhone 5 and it's got way more personal customization than my previous phone.

We'll see. Hopefully Apple gives us black (and not just gray).

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014

I went with gold 5s too - which was interesting for about 3 days. I also have a black 5 and it just suits me better. My next iPhone, if any, will definitely not have a white face. What I *would consider* though is a cream colored, or maybe some other color besides white.

I saw a picture once somewhere of an iPod5 with a cream face and aquamarine back straight out of 1955 and it was freaking gorgeous! I was bummed when I found out it didn't really exist.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
But they all have a black face, so the white is more colourful than the previous white models in that sense.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I know it's been said, but the Black 5c would've definitely cut into 5s sales. The 5s has no black
Option at all.

An ALL black iphone is my favorite such as the slate iphone 5

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
But it comes in white. How colorful is that?
As mentioned, white is the presence of all colors. Black is the absence of all color. ;)

Currently have a white iPhone 5c as one of my backups and I would definitely like a black iPhone 5c (preferably in matte) to replace it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't see why they have a white one, since there's a 5s in white. I'd rather see alternate colors available in the 5c

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
Now that I think about it, I think I see why they went with 'space' gray.
Three of the stock wallpapers in iOS 7 are of space (the 2 stars and planet earth one) and the default wallpaper is the first one on the list (starry one), so they could have gone with that.

But if that was the case, the line up would be:
'Galactic Gold'
'Supernova Sliver'
'Space Gray'

Just a thought :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.