Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haylight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
I'm no Apple hater, I own an ipad and am planning on getting a macbook air soon, but for desktop computers windows is still the way to go- so much so I don't understand why you would get an imac ? If you build your own computer you can customize every single part and swap one out if you want a newer video card or get more RAM or whatever;

-Windows 8.1 pro 64-bit (Windows 8.1 is just so open, and the flaws of Windows 8 are over-emphasized, I can install anything on it, no restrictions, and having a non-crippled Office 365 2013 version is great) If you absolutely can't stand Windows there's always Hackintosh. I got 8.1 pro $70 student version
-NZXT Phantom 410 case (massive but aesthetically pleasing and good airflow) $50 with rebate, has tons of USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports, all display options you want
-Intel core i7 4790k processor (4.0 Ghz quad core) $270
-EVGA nvidia 770 Gtx GPU (Can run basically any modern game at 60 FPS 1080p) $320
-8 Gb hyperjaw RAM (Plan on upgrading to 16gb RAM when I can afford it) $70
-Seasonic 750 Watt EVO power supply (Runs beautifully quiet, can handle any editing, gaming, etc.) $100
-Samsung 250 GB SSD (Everything is blazing fast, windows startup is 3 seconds, programs open instantly) $110 on sale
-Gigabyte Z97 G1 Gaming Motherboard (Excellent overclocking options, gigabyte Bios is very intuitive, has a built in sound card and amp, good for sound quality and gaming capabilities) $140

That's $1130 for a PC that I DARE you to find an imac of equal quality/power at the same price
With the power of my Nvidia 770 GTX I also purchased an Asus 27" 1440p LED PLS display for $480, gaming is astonishingly good on this display. Maybe you could find an equivalent imac for $2,000+, but for desktops deciding on every single part, the experience of building your computer, the bang for the buck raw power, iMacs don't make sense.

Last edited:

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
the biggest reason: OS X
2nd biggest reason: it looks a lot sexier than any custom built case.

i for one dont know why anyone would go windows when they have apple products. The interconnectivity of devices works so much better when everything you own is running apple.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
A DIY PC with better components than an iMac costing less...never thought I would see the day.

I challenge you to build an PC with the same form factor.

BTW, other manufacturers all-in-ones are pricey too.

Nov 28, 2010
located
And how many people actually build or know how to build their own computer?

I built a Hackintosh since the iMac is too glossy for my needs (I use two matte monitors) and the Mac mini not powerful enough.
I would rather have gotten an iMac though, if there would be a matte option, since my computer is thrice as heavy as the iMac, takes up more room, is louder (even though it is quite quiet), uses more energy when idle (120 W compared to to 78 W for an iMac, though under full load both use the same amount of power (230 W).

And not everyone getting an iMac is interested in the full CPU or GPU power.
But then again, you just joined and have probably not read or seen any of the countless of similar threads.
Advanced Search or MRoogle can help you with that.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I have a Mac desktop so Windows is not the way to go for me.

So lets look at your desktop

Windows 8.1 pro 64-bit (Windows 8.1 is just so open, and the flaws of Windows 8 are over-emphasized, I can install anything on it, no restrictions, and having a non-crippled Office 365 2013 version is great) - Windows is fine, but I just don't want to use it - Office isn't important for me.

NZXT Phantom 410 case - Very very ugly case
Intel icore 4790k (4.0 Ghz quad core) - it's a processor - I don't really care whats in my Mac
EVGA nvidia 770 Gtx GPU - I don't game, so as long as Adobe CC works I'm happy
8 Gb - Ram is ram to be honest

Seasonic 750 Watt EVO power supply - Nice expensive to run device there - My Mac mini runs at around 30-60watts

Samsung 250 GB SSD - Macs come with SSD's as well

Gigabyte Z97 G1 Gaming Motherboard - i don't game so not a requirement

You will have a powerful, but ugly PC - which is fine if you want that. I'll stick to a mac on a desktop as it works for me.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
I'm no Apple hater, I own an ipad and am planning on getting a macbook air soon, but for desktop computers windows is still the way to go- so much so I don't understand why you would get an imac ? If you build your own computer you can customize every single part and swap one out if you want a newer video card or get more RAM or whatever;

-Windows 8.1 pro 64-bit (Windows 8.1 is just so open, and the flaws of Windows 8 are over-emphasized, I can install anything on it, no restrictions, and having a non-crippled Office 365 2013 version is great) If you absolutely can't stand Windows there's always Hackintosh. I got 8.1 pro $70 student version
-NZXT Phantom 410 case (massive but aesthetically pleasing and good airflow) $50 with rebate, has tons of USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports, all display options you want
-Intel icore 4790k (4.0 Ghz quad core) $270
-EVGA nvidia 770 Gtx GPU (Can run basically any modern game at 60 FPS 1080p) $320
-8 Gb hyperjaw RAM (Plan on upgrading to 16gb RAM when I can afford it) $70
-Seasonic 750 Watt EVO power supply (Runs beautifully quiet, can handle any editing, gaming, etc.) $100
-Samsung 250 GB SSD (Everything is blazing fast, windows startup is 3 seconds, programs open instantly) $110 on sale
-Gigabyte Z97 G1 Gaming Motherboard (Excellent overclocking options, gigabyte Bios is very intuitive, has a built in sound card and amp, good for sound quality and gaming capabilities) $140

That's $1130 for a PC that I DARE you to find an imac of equal quality/power at the same price
With the power of my Nvidia 770 GTX I also purchased an Asus 27" 1440p LED PLS display for $480, gaming is astonishingly good on this display. Maybe you could find an equivalent imac for $2,000+, but for desktops deciding on every single part, the experience of building your computer, the bang for the buck raw power, iMacs don't make sense.

For people who buy apple devices, it's not about the power behind the machine but the experience that comes with the machine. People who buy iMacs aren't interested in building their own machines. A) Either they simply don't want to or B) Time consuming/Hassle. You're also comparing an AIO (All in one) to a tower computer.

4 Reasons why people buy iMacs

1) Consumes less space
2) OS X
3) AppleCare (If your machine fails, you will have to diagnosis or replace any components yourself)
4) Built with premium materials

Rud3Bwoy

Suspended
Oct 9, 2011
my last custom pc before going imac late 2013 27 and macbook pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPAKdpmzcm4&list=PL8CD45DF75C685E65

ok first of OSX i was tired of the bs bsod from windows not saying mac don't have it's issue but windows seemed to give me more hardware issues than ever over the years

second malware i am very careful when browsing the net also had mbm mse installed and adblock and yet it still seemed to get passed those/windows to get malware into my system time to time.

3-custom pc any issues occur guess what you have to sit there for hours trying to trouble shoot then rma that single part and break down the system to figure out issues,now i can be lazy go to apple and have my whole system changed.

love the way how everything works together on various mac products across my home.

also less space in my room everything is much more clean now

haylight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
I have a Mac desktop so Windows is not the way to go for me.

So lets look at your desktop

Windows 8.1 pro 64-bit (Windows 8.1 is just so open, and the flaws of Windows 8 are over-emphasized, I can install anything on it, no restrictions, and having a non-crippled Office 365 2013 version is great) - Windows is fine, but I just don't want to use it - Office isn't important for me.

NZXT Phantom 410 case - Very very ugly case
Intel icore 4790k (4.0 Ghz quad core) - it's a processor - I don't really care whats in my Mac
EVGA nvidia 770 Gtx GPU - I don't game, so as long as Adobe CC works I'm happy
8 Gb - Ram is ram to be honest

Seasonic 750 Watt EVO power supply - Nice expensive to run device there - My Mac mini runs at around 30-60watts

Samsung 250 GB SSD - Macs come with SSD's as well

Gigabyte Z97 G1 Gaming Motherboard - i don't game so not a requirement

You will have a powerful, but ugly PC - which is fine if you want that. I'll stick to a mac on a desktop as it works for me.

So you're basically saying as long as the case doesn't look enough like a Mac the power of my computer is irrelevant? You dismiss an intel core i7 4790k? What's the point of having a desktop computer then? Why not just hook a macbook retina pro up to a nice big display while also having a mobile computer that could suit all your needs? I can also understand the phantom 410 not being for everyone, I got mine because there was a good rebate going and I like the look of it. But there are basically hundreds of custom PC case designs to choose from, from mini-towers that take up little room to massive full-size towers; you would be sure to find one you liked. Also if you hate Windows hackintosh it.

Last edited:

Rud3Bwoy

Suspended
Oct 9, 2011
So you're basically saying as long as the case looks pretty to you the power of my computer is irrelevant? You dismiss an intel core i7 4790k? What's the point of having a desktop computer then? Why not just hook a macbook retina up to a nice display while also having a mobile computer that could suit all your needs? I can also understand the phantom 410 not being for everyone, I got mine because there was a good rebate going and I like the look of it. But there are basically hundreds of custom PC case designs to choose from, some even look like Macs.

none of them has the imac look.and again most people want a mac for OSX

Zenton

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
If you build your own computer you can customize every single part and swap one out if you want a newer video card or get more RAM or whatever;

Do you realize that majority of people don't want to do any of that? So then maybe the readily available crappy HP desktop paired with a crappy 250$ display isn't the best way to go.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
So you're basically saying as long as the case looks pretty to you the power of my computer is irrelevant? You dismiss an intel core i7 4790k? What's the point of having a desktop computer then? Why not just hook a macbook retina up to a nice display while also having a mobile computer that could suit all your needs? I can also understand the phantom 410 not being for everyone, I got mine because there was a good rebate going and I like the look of it. But there are basically hundreds of custom PC case designs to choose from, some even look like Macs.

I really don't care about a powerful desktop. I'm sure the i7 4790k means a lot to you, but the reality is 99% of the computing world do not care.

I don't rate looks over specification, it's just that case is ugly - Whats the need for the glass side panel to see inside the case?

I could hook up a laptop to a display, however that would mean having to keep taking the laptop upstairs to use on my desk - that's why I have a Mac Mini - it performs all my work without issue and consumes such a small amount of power I don't need to remortgage to pay the electricity bill.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I think you should go back to you basement and enjoy your gaming PC and let us enjoy our macs. I am happy for you that you saved $400 on your machine compared to an iMac. However, some of us would happily pay that money to have less clutter around our desk and a computer that actually fits into a modern household.

haylight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
I really don't care about a powerful desktop. I'm sure the i7 4790k means a lot to you, but the reality is 99% of the computing world do not care.

I don't rate looks over specification, it's just that case is ugly - Whats the need for the glass side panel to see inside the case?

I could hook up a laptop to a display, however that would mean having to keep taking the laptop upstairs to use on my desk - that's why I have a Mac Mini - it performs all my work without issue and consumes such a small amount of power I don't need to remortgage to pay the electricity bill.

A 4790k is extremely useful for DAW audio-production work, photoshop, batch-processing and editing large video files, gaming, and a host of applications. If you think 99% of the world couldn't care less about these things then they are really missing out on what a computer is capable of doing . Also, I like the glass door in the case because I installed 5 extra fans and have a little light show going on plus I like seeing my handiwork in action but to each his own. Finally my power supply uses Japanese capacitors and is very clean/efficient, doesn't scourge the electricity bill, and I got a higher Wattage for pushing more pixels in gaming as monitors evolve from 1080p to 1440p to 4k. I still don't understand why, in your case walking up the stairs carrying your light/compact macbook pro retina is such a burden that you have to pay a $1000+ premium for an imac paperweight that probably isn't much more capable than your macbook

Last edited:

Rud3Bwoy

Suspended
Oct 9, 2011
A 4790k is extremely useful for DAW audio-production work, photoshop, batch-processing and editing large video files, gaming, and a host of applications. If you think 99% of the world couldn't care less about these things then they are really missing out on what a computer is capable of doing . Also, I like the glass door in the case because I installed 5 extra fans and have a little light show going on plus I like seeing my handiwork in action but to each his own. Finally my power supply uses Japanese capacitors and is very clean/efficient, doesn't scourge the electricity bill, and I got a higher Wattage for pushing more pixels in gaming as monitors evolve from 1080p to 1440p to 4k. I still don't understand why, in your case walking up the stairs carrying your light/compact macbook pro retina is such a burden that you have to pay a $1000+ premium for an imac paperweight that probably isn't much more capable than your macbook

as stated my reasons above and if people didn't want to build there own and buy a pre built it's going to be costly anyway

haylight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
I think you should go back to you basement and enjoy your gaming PC and let us enjoy our macs. I am happy for you that you saved $400 on your machine compared to an iMac. However, some of us would happily pay that money to have less clutter around our desk and a computer that actually fits into a modern household.

Actually my PC is in my living room for the moment with surround sound klipsch speakers and a 1440p panel, the tower sits under the desk and really isn't in the way :)
I also like Apple products and question why you don't just plug your macbook pro retina in your monitor?

In my humble opinion I prefer all my mobile needs met by Apple, my power needs met by my custom PC. I suppose if you don't need a laptop and just want a functioning computer that is nice to use (and look at) an iMac makes sense. That or you have deep pockets and go for one of those illusive monolithic powerful iMac beauties.

Last edited:

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Ive been a windows guy for years, built my own tower desktop and all. But windows ended up pissing me off. Hardware kept dying, I spend a lot buy the "latest and greatest" components just to have them be outdated in a few months. It became a hassle. I tried the mac mini for the very first time and fell in love with OSX. I felt windows wasn't even worthy of wiping my butt with, especially not windows 8! After that mac mini, I bought 4 more macs (not an iMac though, but that one is my next purchase).

As a gamer, I did take a slight hit when switching from my powerful tower to a 15" rMBP as my main device. But to me, the aesthetics of both the software and the hardware matter to me. So I gladly take the fps and graphics reduction to stick with mac. I realize that I don't NEED to have the best of the best performance to enjoy my games. If I can still make people rage quit while using a mac, then why would I ever consider getting a pc again?

Its preference, and as long as Windows keeps the UI of windows 8 and their computers still look like bulky blocks, I am not interested. If I had to, I would consider the razor blade as it is the only PC Ive actually found aesthetically pleasing, but after using windows 8 for a bit, I wouldn't even say its close to meeting my expectations.

Then again, thats just me. ;)

haylight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
Ive been a windows guy for years, built my own tower desktop and all. But windows ended up pissing me off. Hardware kept dying, I spend a lot buy the "latest and greatest" components just to have them be outdated in a few months. It became a hassle. I tried the mac mini for the very first time and fell in love with OSX. I felt windows wasn't even worthy of wiping my butt with, especially not windows 8! After that mac mini, I bought 4 more macs (not an iMac though, but that one is my next purchase).

As a gamer, I did take a slight hit when switching from my powerful tower to a 15" rMBP as my main device. But to me, the aesthetics of both the software and the hardware matter to me. So I gladly take the fps and graphics reduction to stick with mac. I realize that I don't NEED to have the best of the best performance to enjoy my games. If I can still make people rage quit while using a mac, then why would I ever consider getting a pc again?

Its preference, and as long as Windows keeps the UI of windows 8 and their computers still look like bulky blocks, I am not interested. If I had to, I would consider the razor blade as it is the only PC Ive actually found aesthetically pleasing, but after using windows 8 for a bit, I wouldn't even say its close to meeting my expectations.

Then again, thats just me. ;)

A Mac is very nice to use, but it's a bit of a closed garden in my experience- which is why I will soon be purchasing a macbook air retina once it comes out. A mid to high range nvidia card is as big as a mac mini, there's a reason for that- I also plan on this nvidia card lasting a good few years. I would honestly prefer playing a game on 1440p with good fps to "the mac experience" on my desktop (that's just me). Good luck playing a modern game on your 15" mbrp at retina resolution with playable framerates. I want my desktop to be universally compatible with all software, and since I'm interested in medicine a great deal of PCR analysis/other professional software is just better on Windows, parallels is OK but inferior to Windows native for Windows software. Your uses are obviously far different than mine, so I'm glad you've found a solution that works for you! :)

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
NZXT Phantom 410 case is too big. Would need to recreate that list with an mITX mobo.

And also coming from Linux, Windows is not really "open"

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
One use case is small children

One reason that people like my coworker just purchased an iMac, is because she has small children just going into kindergarten/first grade. She needed an easy to use desktop that she can watch what they are doing, instead of like a laptop where it would be hard to see, and they have macs at school, so it's easier if there's consistency there. Plus she's not very techy, so she didn't want to have to be her own windows administrator. So I understood that particular person's decision on an iMac- there are certain niches like that where an iMac fits.

For myself, I used to have an iMac in the mid 2000s, when I used to sit at a desk for long periods to sit at the computer at home. But a few years ago I found myself sitting there less and less, just walking up to look up something and then walking away, and so iPads have have actually become more useful for me. I don't even own a desktop anymore for home use.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
A Mac is very nice to use, but it's a bit of a closed garden in my experience- which is why I will soon be purchasing a macbook air retina once it comes out. A mid to high range nvidia card is as big as a mac mini, there's a reason for that- I also plan on this nvidia card lasting a good few years. I would honestly prefer playing a game on 1440p with good fps to "the mac experience" on my desktop (that's just me). Good luck playing a modern game on your 15" mbrp at retina resolution with playable framerates. I want my desktop to be universally compatible with all software, and since I'm interested in medicine a great deal of PCR analysis/other professional software is just better on Windows, parallels is OK but inferior to Windows native for Windows software. Your uses are obviously far different than mine, so I'm glad you've found a solution that works for you! :)

I’m sure you’re proud of yourself for building a monster Windows rig that meets your needs.

Now you're here on a Mac-centric forum posting about how superior your Windows rig is. And you’re dismayed that people aren’t lining up to pat you on the back and sing your praises.

Good for you. But what works for you may not work for me. That’s life.

haylight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
I’m sure you’re proud of yourself for building a monster Windows rig that meets your needs.

Now you're here on a Mac-centric forum posting about how superior your Windows rig is. And you’re dismayed that people aren’t lining up to pat you on the back and sing your praises.

Good for you. But what works for you may not work for me. That’s life.

Quite the contrary! :eek: I have no windows conceit, I freely admit I have used and prefer OS X to Windows 8.1! As another user stated who I agree with I almost get more use out of my ipad than anything. My only point is if you don't need the power, why not get a nice incredibly light/compact Apple laptop, and plug it into that beautiful display you can save up for, spending money on the monitor rather than getting an iMac paperweight? I guess I am realizing iMacs are very valuable to people with little computer experience, for kids, older people, loaded people or those who don't want or need laptops and need a functional computer for basic uses.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Quite the contrary! :eek: I have no windows conceit, I freely admit I have used and prefer OS X to Windows 8.1! As another user stated who I agree with I almost get more use out of my ipad than anything. My only point is if you don't need the power, why not get a nice incredibly light/compact Apple laptop, and plug it into that beautiful display you can save up for, spending money on the monitor rather than getting an iMac paperweight? I guess I am realizing iMacs are very valuable to people with little computer experience, for kids, older people, loaded people or those who don't want or need laptops and need a functional computer for basic uses.

Fair enough. I guess that’s why Mr Baskins and Mr Robbins sell 31 flavors. One size definitely does not fit all.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I like Apple hardware and actually have MacBook air, but I feel like I am far less productive using Mac OS X than Windows 8.1 Pro/Ent for anything than than browsing the Internet.
Also my work laptop (Lenovo T430) with Windows 8.1 Ent for some reasons feels smoother/snappier even though spec is very comparable to my MBA.

There is nothing wrong with going Mac OS X or Windows 8.1. Different things for different people. I am not vouching for either, but I use Windows for work (I am in IT) and like I said earlier, I cant see myself using Mac OS X and be productive. It just does not work for me when I need to use full Office suite/Visio/Project/OneNote and various other utilities that do not even exist on Mac OS X.

The same way iPhone is not for everyone (and many prefer Android for various reasons) the same can be said for Mac OS X so no need to bash or hate either OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.