Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
I'm currently with AT&T and paying $80/mo for unlimited talk/text w/ 2GB of Data and was pretty happy with it until I saw Verizon is now offering a 2GB single line plan for $65/mo! Great move by Verizon that I will be taking advantage of come September!

The added bonus is that it will allow me to hop into an iPhone 6 instead of having to shell out $649+ all at once which I wasn't going to do. :)

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
I'm currently with AT&T and paying $80/mo for unlimited talk/text w/ 2GB of Data and was pretty happy with it until I saw Verizon is now offering a 2GB single line plan for $65/mo! Great move by Verizon that I will be taking advantage of come September!

The added bonus is that it will allow me to hop into an iPhone 6 instead of having to shell out $649+ all at once which I wasn't going to do. :)

Just wanted to add:

If you're with AT&T right now, you can also get your subsidized iPhone with AT&T. If you don't have the upgrade available, then you're going to have an ETF when swapping to Verizon anyways.

That said, in my opinion, Verizon is where it's at. In my experience, anyways, Verizon has had superior coverage and data speeds. If I didn't have unlimited data with Verizon, I would definitely hop on the $65 plan

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Just wanted to add:

If you're with AT&T right now, you can also get your subsidized iPhone with AT&T. If you don't have the upgrade available, then you're going to have an ETF when swapping to Verizon anyways.

That said, in my opinion, Verizon is where it's at. In my experience, anyways, Verizon has had superior coverage and data speeds. If I didn't have unlimited data with Verizon, I would definitely hop on the $65 plan

Glad to see you like Verizon, I think most people have a good experience with them. I personally see no reason to stick with AT&T when Verizon is offering the same plan for $15 less per month. I just haven't decided if I'll sign up for 2 years or if I'll do their Edge program (which also decreases the monthly cost from $65 to $55 a month!). I will have an ETF but I'm planning to sell my Nexus 5 to cover that.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Just wanted to add:

I'll give you the superior coverage part. But as far as for data speed, I'd say it works but certainly not "superior".

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
I'll give you the superior coverage part. But as far as for data speed, I'd say it works but certainly not "superior".

You're probably right. Data speeds are definitely location dependent. Near my house, and my workplaces, I get 55mbit with Verizon, where with AT&T, I got 25mb/s

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Glad to see you like Verizon, I think most people have a good experience with them. I personally see no reason to stick with AT&T when Verizon is offering the same plan for $15 less per month. I just haven't decided if I'll sign up for 2 years or if I'll do their Edge program (which also decreases the monthly cost from $65 to $55 a month!). I will have an ETF but I'm planning to sell my Nexus 5 to cover that.

Go contract. The measly $10 per month savings isn't worth it, particularly not if you have to pay installment for the phone.

Subsidy = ($650 - $200) / 24 = $18.75/mo

2 year contract
$200 + ($65 * 24) = $1,760

EDGE
($55 * 24) + ($32.50 * 20) = $1,970

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
You're probably right. Data speeds are definitely location dependent. Near my house, and my workplaces, I get 55mbit with Verizon, where with AT&T, I got 25mb/s

Right totally agree. Although my personal experience has been alright, I lived in south, northeast, and southwest over the last few years and I have yet to see my Verizon breaking 10Mbps (most of the times I'm lucky to get above 4 mbps). The fastest I got was while visiting a friend at TN, that was clocked at 65Mbps.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Go contract. The measly $10 per month savings isn't worth it, particularly not if you have to pay installment for the phone.

Subsidy = ($650 - $200) / 24 = $18.75/mo

2 year contract
$200 + ($65 * 24) = $1,760

EDGE
($55 * 24) + ($32.50 * 20) = $1,970

Yeah, I'm definitely leaning that way!

----------

Right totally agree. Although my personal experience has been alright, I lived in south, northeast, and southwest over the last few years and I have yet to see my Verizon breaking 10Mbps (most of the times I'm lucky to get above 4 mbps). The fastest I got was while visiting a friend at TN, that was clocked at 65Mbps.

99% of people won't even notice a difference in the speed at 10Mbps vs 25Mbps+... honestly most phones will do everything with very little difference in performance at 3-5Mbps.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
I would rather a tarantula crawl in my ear and lay EGGS before I went to Sprint!:p

Um, ok. I agree but completely not relevant to anything being discussed in this thread. I believe there are a few other "Sprint Hate" threads you can hop on if you feel the need to let out your distain for them.

TruthWatcher412

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I'll probably go for this. I have unlimited data right now but usually don't use more than 2gb with all the wifi spots I'm always in and this'll save me about $20/month.

Does this include the device fee? I know when I was playing around on the site with new plans there's a $40 device fee on top of the plan price.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
I'll probably go for this. I have unlimited data right now but usually don't use more than 2gb with all the wifi spots I'm always in and this'll save me about $20/month.

Does this include the device fee? I know when I was playing around on the site with new plans there's a $40 device fee on top of the plan price.

There is no $40 device fee on this plan! I know, I wondered the same thing. It appears to legitimately be a flat fee of $65/mo + Edge if you'd choose to go that route.

ineel

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
Correction: The deal is actually $60/mo for unlimited talk/text + 2GB of data

This is contrast to at&t's similar plan that they currently offer at $65/mo for unlimited talk/text + 1GB of data.

This makes verizon's offer somewhat attractive given that T-Mobile's 1GB and Sprint's 1GB plan is $50 and $55 respectively which does not include a device subsidy.

josephd

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2013
Anyone planning to jump on Verizon's new Single line Plan?

I just jumped on the Single Line Plan. My bill after tax, went from $90 a month down to $68 and change.
So this plan is a no brainer for me.
IMHO, this is a positive step forward for Verizon.

Last edited:

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014
I'm currently with AT&T and paying $80/mo for unlimited talk/text w/ 2GB of Data

AT&T already dropped the price of their 2GB + unlim talk/text to $65 back in March https://www.macrumors.com/2014/03/08/aft-single-line-plan-drop/

I saw Verizon is now offering a 2GB single line plan for $65/mo!

Verizon's 2GB + unlim talk/text is $60... not $65 http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/shop/shop-data-plans/single-line-data-plans.html?null

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Correction: The deal is actually $60/mo for unlimited talk/text + 2GB of data

This is contrast to at&t's similar plan that they currently offer at $65/mo for unlimited talk/text + 1GB of data.

This makes verizon's offer somewhat attractive given that T-Mobile's 1GB and Sprint's 1GB plan is $50 and $55 respectively which does not include a device subsidy.

Oh geez! Good catch, yes, it's $60/ month total not $65. The only other caveat is that this new pricing is only a limited time offer.

Teddysjam

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2014
I'm also thinking of going to Verizon, I have sprint now contract ends dec 31st but I can upgrade sept 1st just in time for iphone 6. But I'll probably wait till dec I'll rather wait 4 months for upgrade for better reception in my area to get most our of phone. Like stated I have sprint but my work iPad is verizon I have service (lte) wherever I go with work iPad but my sprint service via my phone stinks can't even use in Walmart lol. I'm currently paying around 100.00 for unlimited. But thru verizon will be like 120.00 for 4GB. Just hope I can hold off on upgrading thru sprint when iphone 6 drops. Lol

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I despise Verizon and I've never used them. They are trying to destroy the internet as we know it in a greedy search for profits. They have artificially slowed down Netflix performance until Netflix agreed to pay their extortion, and it's only a matter of time until Verizon starts extorting other internet companies. ISP's have traditionally done interconnect deals as part of a service to their customers who are PAYING them for internet, and now Verizon wants to extort everyone else as well.

Verizon led massive astroturf campaign to end NJ broadband obligation - Ars Technica

Netflix pays Verizon for network connection to speed up video - Ars Technica

Don't give them your money. Switch to T-Mobile or ANYTHING except Verizon, don't let them get away with these greedy evil stunts. They are corrupting the FCC, our court system, and our legislators in order to destroy the internet as we know it. Soon, Verizon will hand you your Tablet, which will be populated with a list of 20 websites you are allowed to visit, 20 websites that pay Verizon's extortion.

Last edited:

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
I despise Verizon and I've never used them. They are trying to destroy the internet as we know it in a greedy search for profits. They have artificially slowed down Netflix performance until Netflix agreed to pay their extortion, and it's only a matter of time until Verizon starts extorting other internet companies. ISP's have traditionally done interconnect deals as part of a service to their customers who are PAYING them for internet, and now Verizon wants to extort everyone else as well.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/04/verizon-led-massive-astroturf-campaign-to-end-nj-broadband-obligation/

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...reach-interconnection-deal-to-speed-up-video/

Lucky for you they don't have to you their services. K, thanks-bye!

josephd

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2013
Oh geez! Good catch, yes, it's $60/ month total not $65. The only other caveat is that this new pricing is only a limited time offer.

I was about to say Verizon's homepage was wrong, which it was.
Once I refreshed the page again, they corrected the pricing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.