Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milky23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2005
Hey there... I am getting my iMac G5 (which was purchased with the educational $200 discount) replaced with a new model and was considering selling it so I can upgrade to the macbook. Does Apple have any legal and/or ethical beefs with such a thing?

edit: also, is there any license i may have agreed to which prohibits my doing so?

Thanks!

Marlon_JBT

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
Detroit, Michigan
milky23 said:
Hey there... I am getting my iMac G5 (which was purchased with the educational $200 discount) replaced with a new model and was considering selling it so I can upgrade to the macbook. Does Apple have any legal and/or ethical beefs with such a thing?

Thanks!
I don't see anything wrong with this. It's just a discount...

It's not illegal to sell a car which you got a military discount for.... (as an example)

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
As far as ethics are concerned, as long as you didn't buy it just to sell it to make a profit.

I hate seeing all these sellers on eBay selling versions "just like" the full versions of software. Basically they buy edu software in bulk and try to pawn it off at a profit. To me that's no good.

But I don't think you're doing anything wrong since your intention has changed since the intel product announcement.

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
One time a few years ago I wanted to learn Java so I took a class at a local community college (in fact, it was right across the street from where I was working). Mac OS X had just come out and there was a significant discount for students. I went to the school's bookstore and they had a copy. And, I was a student. I was taking a Java class. Score!

I bought the educational version of MS Office for the Mac. It was, uh, for my daughter. Yeah. Um, she was in kindergarten, but I don't see how that was an issue. She did use the computer.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Since they limit the number a machine you can buy to one of each type per year, there is no way that someone could turn that much of a profit on it.

Go ahead and sell it. You bought it and used it, now it is time to sell it. So what?

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
emaja said:
Since they limit the number a machine you can buy to one of each type per year, there is no way that someone could turn that much of a profit on it.

Go ahead and sell it. You bought it and used it, now it is time to sell it. So what?
well no, it's more complicated than that:

Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Laptop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year
iPod: One (1) per iPod family (iPod, iPod nano, iPod Shuffle 1GB) may be purchased per academic year (Note: there is no quantity limitation on iPod Shuffle 512MB)
iSight: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
janey said:
per academic year
You answered one of my thoughts there too. I wasn't sure whether it meant a year apart, or an academic year. I guess you could buy one in december, then one in January then.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
janey said:
well no, it's more complicated than that:

snip

I was not specific enough, and that is what I should have referenced, but yes, you are correct.

Still not enough to make a profit really, so back to the original question, yes it is ethical to sell a Mac you bought with your educational discount.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
epepper9 said:
You answered one of my thoughts there too. I wasn't sure whether it meant a year apart, or an academic year. I guess you could buy one in december, then one in January then.
i believe for these purposes "academic year" means july-june.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I'm in the same boat. I bought my iMac G5 Rev. B with $200 off in education discounts. I was bitten by the Apple bug and switched. In retrospect I probably should have gotten a Mac mini but I love the iMac's power and size. I want an Apple laptop though and I'm a power user of computers. I don't need the power but I want[/b it. :D

I'll be selling my iMac, Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse, and iLife 06 later this summer if an Intel iBook comes out or just save up and get a MacBook Pro. I've grown to lowe Voodoo Pad for note taking and the new Inte chips give Apple a mobile power edge again.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
They used to have it in their FAQ, but it isn't there anymore. As long as you don't sell it for a profit, which you won't, I guess it's probably ok.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
A few years ago I got an iBook with edu discount and then needed to sell it right away, for I had not got all the BTO I wanted.

They told me on the phone (Apple several times) that I could sell my computer anytime I want, and it didn't matter I had bought with edu discount.

tk26

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2006
hey guys does anyone know if the student discount includes no sale taX?

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Does anyone know where those official "one per academic year" details are? I've been trying to find them for my housemate because I was trying to tell him that if he buys Apple he can buy an Apple computer with edu discount, sell it in a year and buy a new one on edu discount and it should cost him relatively little to keep up to date that way.

BTW one thing I noticed a few days ago was that the Educational discount still applies to Xserves. The Xserve Raid 7TB for example costs £9399 over here while the Educational price is £8270.83. With my Uni Student discount it drops down to a little over £7600. Which is £1800 of savings! That's crazy. Mind you, I don't know what a student like myself would do with a 7TB Xserve Raid Server!!

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
Yeah, I sold a Mac Mini on eBay I bought with an educational discount, I basically had it for 6 months and didn't loose any money on it!

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
If you have to ask it probably isnt legal/right/ethical.

Most academic versions of applications have a clause in the agreement that you cannot resell them. I am not sure if this applies to hardware but I do know most all major software vendors state this very clearly in their EULA.

Ed

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
What are the limitations to the student discount. If i were taking college classes at night once a week would i still be qualified? Apple isnt very clear about it online. What are the exact limitations. It says you have to be in college or university. I'm really confused.

This is all hypothetical btw.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
yankeefan24 said:
What are the limitations to the student discount. If i were taking college classes at night once a week would i still be qualified? Apple isnt very clear about it online. What are the exact limitations. It says you have to be in college or university. I'm really confused.

This is all hypothetical btw.

As long as you are enrolled you are eligible. 3 units or 15 units it doesn't matter to Apple, what does matter is that you are currently enrolled and can prove it.

Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.