Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
My sons iPad mini is broken, dropped and smashed after 1.5 years loyal service. Booked into Genius Bar tomorrow I suspect they'll offer me nothing or an out of warranty replacement.

If I take the out of warranty replacement will they insist on keeping the original? It's engraved and has sentimental value attached to it. I don't mind if they disable the iPad in some way.

Thanks in advance.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
My sons iPad mini is broken, dropped and smashed after 1.5 years loyal service. Booked into Genius Bar tomorrow I suspect they'll offer me nothing or an out of warranty replacement.

If I take the out of warranty replacement will they insist on keeping the original? It's engraved and has sentimental value attached to it. I don't mind if they disable the iPad in some way.

Thanks in advance.
Apple will keep the damaged one, to be used for parts/refurbished. That's why an out-of-warranty replacement is cheaper than buying a new one (or a refurb from the Apple Online Store).

Since you're beyond warranty anyway, I suggest you find a reputable independent repair shop that will replace the display, rather than the entire iPad.

thetechfixer

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2010
Canada
They give you a refurbished one and take your old one away. I would go to an independent shop and just get the display replaced, It will be cheaper and you can keep the sentimental value as well.

iliapiano

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014
I am not sure, but I believe they actually give you a new one if you do the exchange, not a refurbished one. I was actually curious about that part too, so if somebody could confirm that would be great.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

Thanks in advance.

Not sure how they handle that. Most issues of this type are swapped out and repaired off-site from the Apple store.

https://www.apple.com/support/ipad/repair/other/

Out-of-warranty* cost:
iPad mini: $219
iPad mini with Retina display: $249
iPad, iPad 2: $249
iPad 3rd generation, iPad 4th generation, iPad Air: $299
Plus a $6.95 shipping fee. Fees are in USD and exclude local tax.
*Accidental damage isn’t covered under the Apple One Year Limited Warrant

Aspasia

macrumors 65816

Thanks in advance.

Had the same circumstances with my daughter's engraved mini. Took it to a local repair shop and they did a beautiful job replacing the screen and removing a small dent. Cost me $150. And another $50 for an Otterbox Defender case - which has saved that same mini twice now.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I am not sure, but I believe they actually give you a new one if you do the exchange, not a refurbished one. I was actually curious about that part too, so if somebody could confirm that would be great.

Usually, they give you a refurbished model. I've had my iPod touch exchanged before, and it was definitely refurbished. Occasionally, if a refurbished model isn't on hand, they can give you a new model.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
The Apple store will offer you an out of warranty swap but you will lose your engraving.

Applecare over the phone will offer you the same, and you should be able to keep your engraving (at least they used to offer this service).

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
Out-of-warranty* cost:

iPad mini: $219
iPad mini with Retina display: $249
iPad, iPad 2: $249
iPad 3rd generation, iPad 4th generation, iPad Air: $299
Plus a $6.95 shipping fee. Fees are in USD and exclude local tax.
*Accidental damage isn’t covered under the Apple One Year Limited Warranty.

Get an out of warranty screen replacement.

Or a screen replacement from a third party place, it's not like you have a warranty to void.

Don't part with the engraved ipad. ;)

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011

Refurbished or not, I just call it "Replacement unit" but even if you ask the Genius "Oh is the replacement unit new or refurb?" They will likely answer that it's New.

Also there is nothing different about it when it comes to replacement ipod touch, iphone, ipad, ipod nano. It's all the same.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Since you're beyond warranty anyway, I suggest you find a reputable independent repair shop that will replace the display, rather than the entire iPad.

Be careful doing that. If that shop screws up something internally in the process and Apple catches that its a third party screen they will refuse even paid service.

so weigh that risk and be careful of shops that seem too good to be true.

----------

service parts are a mix of factory new and factory assembled from working parts taken out of other repaired units . there's no way of knowing really. All you can know 100% is that it doesn't come with the same warranty as a retail purchase. so in that sense it is not 'new'

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
All you can know 100% is that it doesn't come with the same warranty as a retail purchase. so in that sense it is not 'new'

It comes with the same warranty as the unit it replaces, or three months from the date of replacement, whichever is longer.

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
Thanks for all the replies, we took it to a local repair shop but it was beyond repair, not sure if they made it worse or not as the LCD refused to work and neither did a replacement so something screwed.

Anyway rather than him lose his previous 1st iPad we've just bought him a new one, took the opportunity to upgrade to retina too.

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.