Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MMcCraryNJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
So, I know this is slightly off-topic, but since this monitor is a popular choice for nMP users, I'd thought I relay the news. The 34UC97 seems to be the same panel, with the same features, including Thunderbolt 2, but is now a curved display. I think curving a display of this size would be very beneficial to viewing angles and will add even more to the immersion experience of 21:9.

They are revealing it at next month's IFA conference in Berlin, along with a 4K IPS display at 4096 x 2160.

This could also mean a price drop is coming on the current 34UM95, although no pricing info is available for the newer models just yet, and no word on availability.

More info here: http://www.lgblog.co.uk/2014/08/worlds-first-curved-ips-219-monitor-at-ifa/

jclmavg

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2014
There is no indication the 34UM95 is going to be replaced by the 34UC97.

Celedral

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Was just about to buy a 34um95. It's possibly the most popular model at the moment. Would love to see what people's reaction to the new curved display will be like. Also price being the biggest determinator.

sirneb

macrumors member
May 9, 2014
I have to admit that I would be happier if my 34UM95 is curved. I still remember my first impression was the far left and right edge are way too far away. :p

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
So, I know this is slightly off-topic, but since this monitor is a popular choice for nMP users, I'd thought I relay the news. The 34UC97 seems to be the same panel, with the same features, including Thunderbolt 2, but is now a curved display. I think curving a display of this size would be very beneficial to viewing angles and will add even more to the immersion experience of 21:9.

They are revealing it at next month's IFA conference in Berlin, along with a 4K IPS display at 4096 x 2160.

This could also mean a price drop is coming on the current 34UM95, although no pricing info is available for the newer models just yet, and no word on availability.

More info here: http://www.lgblog.co.uk/2014/08/worlds-first-curved-ips-219-monitor-at-ifa/

Thanks for sharing, I'm actually more interested in the true 4K display... depending on price of course. :)

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I'm extremely happy with my 34UM95-P, I shan't be upgrading until UHD 21:9 monitors are around. LG have those panels, so hopefully they produce him in a few years.

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Curved? Meh ... it's a large screen but not that large. I think it's a marketing gimmick. My 34UM95 is a great monitor, perfect for gaming IMO which is where I have it, and perfect as a single monitor solution. No interest in curved.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Curved? Meh ... it's a large screen but not that large.

It is as much where you sit as a matter of how large the screen is.

"... Hence, a curved TV is only right for a very specific, pretty unusual setup: everyone right in front of the screen, very close to it. ..."
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/01/whats-the-deal-with-curved-tvs/

For living room TVs that is 'weird/unusual'. For computer monitors it is not too far off the mark. Folks with limited sized desktops trying to put monster sized monitors relatively close to their face will actually be in that zone.

I think it's a marketing gimmick.

In part, no. in most desktop contexts it probably gives the feeling of a larger screen than it is. If "as large as I can afford but still fits on my desk" is an objective, it isn't a gimmick. Additionally, independent of display tech, most monitors do a bit better at color when looking straight on.

In part, yes. It is different. For bored buyers it is a lure. Whether the curvature radius works for these TVs at normal TV view distances or for these monitors on normal desktops is significantly dependent on placement.

http://www.oled-info.com/lg-display-explains-why-curved-tv-preferable-flat-one

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I'd have to see it.

Perhaps it would minimize the IPS glow, but I don't really have a problem with that anyways. Good to see them expanding on their offerings, but I'd prefer the work out the firmware bugs on the existing displays.

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2009
Wait until when, look how old the Thunderbolt display is, they have other priorities, we may not see a new display for a long time and when it does arrive it's likely in my opinion to be a 4K Thunderbolt2/USB3 thinner version of what we have with non reflective surface.

QUOTE=golf1410;19495851]Guys, don't you want to wait for Apple display?[/QUOTE]

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
It is as much where you sit as a matter of how large the screen is.

Yeah, but this screen isn't large enough to warrant being curved I think.

I run three 27" apple monitors on my nMP as shown in this post. In this case its completely necessary, there is so much linear screen footage you couldn't see it without it curving around you. And, I love it. See that post above, I have three such desks in a semicircle so I'm surrounded by my computers.

But the LG is only 1.5 the size of a single Cinema in pixels, and less than that in horizontal viewing space. I don't think the curve will buy you much. The additional problem is that now you're dependent on how they curve it - what radius did they pick? People place their screens at different distances based on preferences and desk configuration, LG will have to take a stab at it. If you don't use their radius then you're going to be missing out. In addition, people vary their viewing distance. I do, in my circular sit-stand desk setup. Sometimes I move closer, sometimes farther.

In practice maybe it won't matter much, but I think that with this size screen a curve is mostly a marketing thing. It's like curved phone screens, I have one and hate it. Makes it hard for my phone protector to work properly and is just a gimmick. Give me a flat screen when it's that size.

I'm waiting for a curved computer screen that is the linear length of my present setup, which is over six linear feet in length.

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
LG-34UC97(monitor) & nMP /x6?

LG-34UC97 (3440×1440)curved monitor /Thunderbolt on Mac Pro (2013).

How many of these could be run off a nMP? Is that three(3), if they are considered 4k monitors. (Or six(6), one per Tb/2 port?) How good are the current OS-X drivers, can the view be scaled. How important is the nMP Video Option (D300 /D500 /D700) for this setup? Or does that depend on the intended applications? (This is for Trading, not Editing or Games).

Physical specs: Does anyone know if these wide/curved monitors come with a Vesa-mount bracket? (Weight 7.8Kg). Or what the curvature radius might be?

Monitor array: Six-Horizontal (TradeShow)Setup - Example(Finance-Trading).
http://cl.ly/image/3z1z0j3D3A08

Unfortunately, my Korean langage skills are limited (and this LG site is all image).
http://www.lge.co.kr/lgekr/product/....laf?prdid=EPRD.282480&pcatid=2400&catid=2400

Last edited:

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
LG-34UC97(monitor) & nMP /x6.

Answering some of my own questions, since there were no other responses. :(

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5918?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
Lg informed that a maximum of six such monitors can run off the nMP. One per TB2 port (two per bus). Should be Ok off the D300, but D500 video is better.

Understand that a special adaptor is required to enable this monitor for Vesa mounting. (Much like the Apple monitors). But no word yet on where/how to obtain this.

Other specs may have to wait until the official release.

Last edited:

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Review of the curved version is here.

Thanks for the review, his earlier one on the flat version helped prompt me to get one.

First off I don't get his comment about why creative professionals just don't use a NAS storage, instead preferring externals like TB2 cages. Maybe he was joking.

Anyhow comparing the two reviews makes his point clear. Yes he likes this monitor better, but it's a far more subtle improvement than going to the 21:9 in the first place. He admitted that it's not obvious, but it "seems" to be a better experience, in ways he can't quite quantify.

Shrug ... my 34UM94 (the flat version) is wonderful. I'd buy the curved if it's the same price, sure I'm sure it's better, but it appears that it's certainly not a substantial improvement. Also, he makes a special note about excessive backlight bleed, and calls this his "productivity monitor". The previous one was noted to be a "productivity and gaming, unless you're professional and need greater than 60Hz refresh". He does kind of make that point here too, but I don't recall him saying the backlight was an issue with the previous. Perhaps the new one has a more pronounced backlight bleed? At any rate the flat version is holding up fine I think.

MMcCraryNJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
When I'm ready to buy my nMP, this is going to be a tough choice between the two, if the curved model leads to a cheaper price on the non-curved one. Looks awesome. LG has been killing it with their product line lately.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
First off I don't get his comment about why creative professionals just don't use a NAS storage, instead preferring externals like TB2 cages. Maybe he was joking.

Probably down to Thunderbolt being far faster, and much better working large media files; such as 4K.

In regards, to the backlight bleed, I don't recall him mentioning it much for the previous monitor, so this bleed might just be on his one at the moment.

It's not the same, the 4K on is not in the 21:9 aspect ratio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.