Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsg1010

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
Anyone know how Apple Tests for failed or failing SSD's that would be covered under apple care?

I have used DriveDX and it says advanced smart status failed (10 issues found). However, when i use disk utility and check smart status it says verified. I have even tried apple's hardware test by holding down command R during startup and it shows everything to be fine.

Anyone have any idea how Apple would indicate a bad SSD drive?

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
Anyone know how Apple Tests for failed or failing SSD's that would be covered under apple care?

I have used DriveDX and it says advanced smart status failed (10 issues found). However, when i use disk utility and check smart status it says verified. I have even tried apple's hardware test by holding down command R during startup and it shows everything to be fine.

Anyone have any idea how Apple would indicate a bad SSD drive?

Apple Hardware Test (press and hold "D" before startup)

Apple Service Diagnostic (you may be able to find your version online)

Apple Service Toolkit (i haven't been able to find the current version online)

Good luck.

killerovsky

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2013

Could you please attach DriveDx's drive health report file? (button "Save Report..." or menu "Actions > Save Drive Health Report...")

rsg1010

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
Here is an attachment of the report from Drivedx

Attachments

• DriveDxReport2014-08-19_18-38-03-951.txt
    6.5 KB · Views: 348

killerovsky

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2013
Here is an attachment of the report from Drivedx

Hmm, I advice you to contact to DriveDx developer (menu "Help > Send Feedback / Contact Support..."). There are some strange numbers in S.M.A.R.T. report, it looks like there are some incompatibly with your SSD model (SSD is not fully correctly supports S.M.A.R.T. specification) or/and firmware of your SSD reports some strange numbers.

rsg1010

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
Hmm, I advice you to contact to DriveDx developer (menu "Help > Send Feedback / Contact Support..."). There are some strange numbers in S.M.A.R.T. report, it looks like there are some incompatibly with your SSD model (SSD is not fully correctly supports S.M.A.R.T. specification) or/and firmware of your SSD reports some strange numbers.

Wow do I feel dumb right now. I just checked my DriveDx and there was an update available. I did the update and ran the test and everything passed. Thank you for your help :)

Reactions: Hrebik1

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Op you'll know if your ssd is starting to die from to many writes as it'll start reducing in size as blocks are marked as faulty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.