Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dave343

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2014
So a little more than a week ago I purchased a 11" Air as it was exactly what I had been eyeing, perfect size, awesome little computer to take everywhere. I did an exchange the next day to the 256gb version as I thought I might need the space come the future.
Fast forward a few days, I had a few friends show me their 13" Air's and tooted about the 12hr battery, and the extra screen real-estate looked pretty nice. So even though I had originally wanted the 11" for my own reason's I did exchange #2 and picked up the base 13"...

Fast forward to Friday and for the first time I saw the 13" Retina at a friend's place. Needless to say I was in awe of the screen, (even though I still prefer lower res screens), it's stunning but I doubt I have to explain that to anyone on here. Given it was prettily close in price to the 13" (with my company discount), had the faster i5 Processor, and 8gb of ram, I made exchange #3 for the Retina.

So onto my dilemma/question... I honestly think I've made a mistake in originally giving up the 11", because it was the machine I wanted from the get go after all. I just listened to too many friend's opinions, and probably was a bit indecisive.
I know Apple has one of the best return policy's and it hasn't been my intention to abuse it, however having now used the Retina, and 13" Air under my own roof, and under the condition's in which I normally use my computer's for, I can honestly say the 11" is the machine for me.
This all said, if I do a 4th exchange... will I run into any issue's with Apple? I feel like they're going to have someone at the door waiting for me with a shotgun! I've read about some people getting banned for doing crazy exchanges... I'm assuming this doesn't fall under that category... but I'm just curious if anyone's been in the same boat, done as many or more exchanges, or if I may run into any issues...? My Apple store is pretty big and I've never seen so many employee's work a store, all the exchanges were done with different people.

I know some may ask why I don't keep the retina, but as gorgeous as the screen is, I don't honestly care if I have it. I have always much preferred lower res screens, even 1080p I don't like on laptops. What I love about the 11" is it's size, and extreme portability.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
So a little more than a week ago I purchased a 11" Air as it was exactly what I had been eyeing, perfect size, awesome little computer to take everywhere. I did an exchange the next day to the 256gb version as I thought I might need the space come the future.
Fast forward a few days, I had a few friends show me their 13" Air's and tooted about the 12hr battery, and the extra screen real-estate looked pretty nice. So even though I had originally wanted the 11" for my own reason's I did exchange #2 and picked up the base 13"...

Fast forward to Friday and for the first time I saw the 13" Retina at a friend's place. Needless to say I was in awe of the screen, (even though I still prefer lower res screens), it's stunning but I doubt I have to explain that to anyone on here. Given it was prettily close in price to the 13" (with my company discount), had the faster i5 Processor, and 8gb of ram, I made exchange #3 for the Retina.

So onto my dilemma/question... I honestly think I've made a mistake in originally giving up the 11", because it was the machine I wanted from the get go after all. I just listened to too many friend's opinions, and probably was a bit indecisive.
I know Apple has one of the best return policy's and it hasn't been my intention to abuse it, however having now used the Retina, and 13" Air under my own roof, and under the condition's in which I normally use my computer's for, I can honestly say the 11" is the machine for me.
This all said, if I do a 4th exchange... will I run into any issue's with Apple? I feel like they're going to have someone at the door waiting for me with a shotgun! I've read about some people getting banned for doing crazy exchanges... I'm assuming this doesn't fall under that category... but I'm just curious if anyone's been in the same boat, done as many or more exchanges, or if I may run into any issues...? My Apple store is pretty big and I've never seen so many employee's work a store, all the exchanges were done with different people.

I know some may ask why I don't keep the retina, but as gorgeous as the screen is, I don't honestly care if I have it. I have always much preferred lower res screens, even 1080p I don't like on laptops. What I love about the 11" is it's size, and extreme portability.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

If you are still within 14 days you can exchange as much as you want. Had a friend who went back about 6 times until he was satisfied.

dave343

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2014
If you are still within 14 days you can exchange as much as you want. Had a friend who went back about 6 times until he was satisfied.

That's exactly it... these things aren't cheap and I have to live with it for probably a few years, so I just want to make sure I buy the one that fit's my need's and is the exact one I want. I just feel bad for opening 4 laptops already...
Mind you, and not that it probably really matter's, but I keep all the packaging... everything (including the small plastic wrap that goes around the A/C Adapter), and so when I've done the exchanges, I make sure to return them in the exact condition I purchased it in.

Last edited by a moderator:

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
That's exactly it... these things aren't cheap and I have to live with it for probably a few years, so I just want to make sure I buy the one that fit's my need's and is the exact one I want. I just feel bad for opening 4 laptops already...
Mind you, and not that it probably really matter's, but I keep all the packaging... everything (including the small plastic wrap that goes around the A/C Adapter), and so when I've done the exchanges, I make sure to return them in the exact condition I purchased it in.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Apple just sells those as refurbs.

dave343

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2014

I know Apple is ok, I'm sure they still make a good margin off refurbs... but it's the actual store employees I'm worries about giving me a hard time.

VanDerMac

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014

Oh my God, you DO realize it costs Apple like 300 dollars to make an iPhone and they sell it for a thousand?

Bottom line: Relax, they have everything calculated in the price...including returns, open boxes, etc. not to mention over one hinder billion dollars in off shore bank accounts. You worry too much! :cool:

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
Wow...4 returns? I would try thinking a bit harder the next time you buy a machine and consider everything about it before purchase. But yeah there is no limit as long as you are within the 14 days.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
OP don't worry about those that are scrutinizing you for 4 returns. Sometimes you have to have more hands on use than can be had in store to see if a certain machine will work for you. Some people are good at making decisions and some like you and me aren't. In the end it's your hard earned money you are spending and if you aren't happy then exchange until you are.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Wow - You people do realize that Apple and all other manufacturer's build return costs into the retail price for products they sell. They take history and go from there. For you guys that capriciously return and re-return things because you can't make up your mind - Just increases the initial purchase price for the rest of us. And for those of you that validate the kind of behavior I truly am amazed.

In the end it's your hard earned money you are spending

And in the end, my end, it's my hard earned money I am spending and I don't want it increased because of the frivolous actions of a few.

Lou

abta1

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Paris, France
In the end, as long as you are doing things within their regulations you have nothing to worry about.

Just go in, explain your situation, be honest and sincere. I would imagine the employees would only be pissed if you went in with a bad attitude demanding things.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Wow - You people do realize that Apple and all other manufacturer's build return costs into the retail price for products they sell. They take history and go from there. For you guys that capriciously return and re-return things because you can't make up your mind - Just increases the initial purchase price for the rest of us. And for those of you that validate the kind of behavior I truly am amazed.

And in the end, my end, it's my hard earned money I am spending and I don't want it increased because of the frivolous actions of a few.

Lou

Whether the OP keeps his first purchase, or exchanges 10 times, it's not going to change what you pay for your next Mac. It isn't "frivolous actions" to want to be satisfied with a purchase.

Apple makes a gazillion dollars selling Apple Care, overpriced soldered upgrades, and accessories and you are worried about someone making multiple returns to ensure that they are satisfied?

Mac's are expensive and a purchaser should be 100 percent happy with everything. If they aren't, Apple wants to make sure they are satisfied and if it's multiple exchanges, so be it.

If Apple suddenly got rid of their exchange policy and everyone kept the original purchased machine, Mac's are still going to be the same price or higher. They will always justify a price increase, it's not due to the OP being happy.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^And I disagree. I know how retail prices are set, and a large portion of that price is spoilage, returns, exchanges, and etc. Folks who play around with the return policy make it hard on those of us who don't.

What if Toyota or General Motors allowed such frivolous actions? None of us would be able to afford a car.

And, I guess I can be a case in point here. Soon after I bought my 2012 MBA, I realized I had made a BIG mistake by buying the machine with the standard 64GB SSD. My intent was to use it with that SSD only when I was traveling, being mobile, and when I arrived at a destination (hotel, client's office, or wherever) I would hook it up to a Hybrid drive. I tried that for awhile, and what a PITA that was. I had made a purchasing error. So, I bought an OWC replacement 480GB SSD that turned out to be a piece of crap. I returned it to OWC and now have a Transcend 480GB SSD happily working away in my MBA. I fixed the problem I created myself without getting Apple involved.

Lou

Last edited:

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
While the OP has a perfect right to return or exchange as he sees fit within Apples policy, anyone who thinks returns don't have a considerable cost to Apple and that these costs are not calculated into the products is living in a dream world.

The products must undergo additional handling, inventory, shipping cycles, inspection and testing, any potential refurbishment, repackaging, marketing and sales, more shipping, and then be sold at a discount. Those are pretty significant costs for every return and they are built into the costs of current and future products which everyone buying those products pays.

The OP justifiably feels guilty so enough said. Do better next time looking at, playing with, and researching them before you exchange or buy.

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
^^^^And I disagree. I know how retail prices are set, and a large portion of that price is spoilage, returns, exchanges, and etc. Folks who play around with the return policy make it hard on those of us who don't.

What if Toyota or General Motors allowed such frivolous actions? None of us would be able to afford a car.

And, I guess I can be a case in point here. Soon after I bought my 2012 MBA, I realized I had made a BIG mistake by buying the machine with the standard 64GB SSD. My intent was to use it with that SSD only when I was traveling, being mobile, and when I arrived at a destination (hotel, client's office, or wherever) I would hook it up to a Hybrid drive. I tried that for awhile, and what a PITA that was. I had made a purchasing error. So, I bought an OWC replacement 480GB SSD that turned out to be a piece of crap. I returned it to OWC and now have a Transcend 480GB SSD happily working away in my MBA. I fixed the problem I created myself without getting Apple involved.

Lou

hahaha, this is funny...

So what you did is resolve your purchasing error by not involving Apple and involving OWC instead.....?

Irony! gotta love it!

----------

I know Apple is ok, I'm sure they still make a good margin off refurbs... but it's the actual store employees I'm worries about giving me a hard time.

Don't worry about it! Return it and make sure you are yourself happy! everyone else, well, i suppose good for them for having opinions!

But at the end of the day, "everyone else" does NOT have to live with the equipment!!!

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville

Take it back and get what you want.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Just take to back and get the 11" MacBook Air you wanted originally.

Just don't go about repeating the process.

dave343

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2014
Thanks for all the replies, got the exchange done, no hassels, and a completely different sales associate. There must be at least 20+ sales asscociates working the floor, the store is always jam packed. Out of the store in 5 minutes from the time of waiting.
Apple must have some serious strict code of giving happy customer service, because in all the time's I've been in the store the employee's walk around happy happy. I thought for sure on this 4th exchange I would get some words from the sale's guy, but they still treat you like a new customer. Even on this exchange the guy comes over and he's overjoyed to do the exchange for me.
Anyways, definately glad to have the 11" back :cool: thanks for the input

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Thanks for all the replies, got the exchange done, no hassels, and a completely different sales associate. There must be at least 20+ sales asscociates working the floor, the store is always jam packed. Out of the store in 5 minutes from the time of waiting.
Apple must have some serious strict code of giving happy customer service, because in all the time's I've been in the store the employee's walk around happy happy. I thought for sure on this 4th exchange I would get some words from the sale's guy, but they still treat you like a new customer. Even on this exchange the guy comes over and he's overjoyed to do the exchange for me.
Anyways, definately glad to have the 11" back :cool: thanks for the input

Now are you absolutely certain that you want the 11"?

dave343

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2014
Now are you absolutely certain that you want the 11"?

Well... now that you mention it... :D nah, I'm very happy with the 11". However I do have a question for those with the 11". I was in Best Buy last week playing around with the Air's and what I noticed when I went into iPhoto, and opened up the demo reel, color in the pictures on the one 11" looked much darker then color in the pics on the 2nd 11" Air they had set up. Brightness seemed higher on the first 11", and the color's seemed more authentic, versa colors being too dark on the 2nd one.
My screen is pretty good, brightness is great. But, and maybe this is just because it is a low end LCD, there is a small bit of grain to my lcd. Are there different LCD's for the 11"? LG/Samsung...etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.