Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

datfann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2014
I have a Macbook Air 2013.I used up about 55GB of 128.Most of it is music and pictures but i want to do a backup so i can download the OS X Mavericks.Now how should i do the backup.I am a complete novice.

Nov 28, 2010
located
You get a new external HDD, any 1 TB or bigger HDD, be it a portable 2.5" HDD or a 3.5" desktop HDD will suffice (and it does not need to be Mac specific and can be a USB 3.0 HDD), unpack it, connect it to your Mac, then when Mac OS X asks if you want to use that HDD as Time Machine backup you answer yes.
That formats the HDD (any previous data on it will be deleted) to the correct format and Time Machine backs up to it.
The initial backup will take some time, probably an hour or three with 55 GB over USB 3.0, subsequent backups will be faster.

Time Machine FAQ

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the
MR_Edit_GoAdvanced_button.png
button below your message.

datfann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2014
Thank you very much.Could you please advice me on what HDD should i buy.And do i need a time capsule maybe for the future.

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
Thank you very much.Could you please advice me on what HDD should i buy.And do i need a time capsule maybe for the future.

Just pick one. I have the WD My Passport Ultra 1TB and i have no issues with it.

TimeCapsule will be easier(fully automated), but the price on those are much higher.
When using a USB drive for TimeMachine backups it will require "more" from you in regard to the fact that each time you want to do a backup you have to manually connect the USB drive to your mac.
There are "workarounds" that some use to get USB drives connected to a router to act as an TimeCapsule, but keep in mind this requires a bit more knowledge and fiddling around to get it to work...And this way you don´t have 100% guarantee that backups will happen without issues.

With a TimeCapsule this will be done wirelessly and automatic, so when TimeMachine is configured no further action is required from you. Backups is done automatically, And thus you always have a up to date backup of your mac.

Option 1) If you want the most affordable option, then go with the USB drive.
Option 2) If you want to have all backups automated (of your files/settings etc without ever needing to do anything manually and can afford it) then go with a TimeCapsule.

With both options the end result will be exactly the same.

datfann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2014
Just pick one. I have the WD My Passport Ultra 1TB and i have no issues with it.

TimeCapsule will be easier(fully automated), but the price on those are much higher.
When using a USB drive for TimeMachine backups it will require "more" from you in regard to the fact that each time you want to do a backup you have to manually connect the USB drive to your mac.
There are "workarounds" that some use to get USB drives connected to a router to act as an TimeCapsule, but keep in mind this requires a bit more knowledge and fiddling around to get it to work...And this way you don´t have 100% guarantee that backups will happen without issues.

With a TimeCapsule this will be done wirelessly and automatic, so when TimeMachine is configured no further action is required from you. Backups is done automatically, And thus you always have a up to date backup of your mac.

Option 1) If you want the most affordable option, then go with the USB drive.
Option 2) If you want to have all backups automated (of your files/settings etc without ever needing to do anything manually and can afford it) then go with a TimeCapsule.

With both options the end result will be exactly the same.
Well TC is expensive but i guess it does pay off but in the end i think i will go with EDD cause from your answer i realized that i will get the same results.Thanks.

donlab

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2004
USA
check out slickdeals or newegg for a 1TB external usb drive. It doesn't need to be fast since its just a backup drive so if you can find a deal on a usb 2 drive go for it. 1TB drive backing up a 128GB internal drive will give you LOTS of room to store incremental backups. This will allow you to have many recovery points if you choose to keep the drive connected at home for hourly backups.

You can also purchase the 6th gen airport extreme and attach a powered external USB drive for wireless time machine backups for less than buying the time capsule.

Best Buy has Apple AirPort Extreme Wireless Base Station (Geek Squad Certified Refurbished ME918LL/A) for $119.99. Shipping is free.

external drive should be $75-$100

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
You can also purchase the 6th gen airport extreme and attach a powered external USB drive for wireless time machine backups for less than buying the time capsule.

Just realize that performance is much lower. Using gigabit ethernet, the internal drive on the time capsule clocks around 50MB/s vs an external drive on the Airport Extreme at around 20MB/s - see: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1747622/

Refurb 2tb time capsules are available from Apple for $255. But a USB 3.0 external drive is going to be faster still - I have a Passport Extreme that clocks a little over 100MB/s, which is pretty good for a little bus-powered drive. I have several inexpensive larger USB 3.0 drives with external power supplies that test between 160MB/s - 170MB/s.

I have several of the older WD Passport USB 2.0 drives, and they are pretty slow, around 35MB/s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.