Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagetech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
Howdy!

Ok everyone, here is my problem.

I have a MacBook Pro and I love it! I am thinking about getting a Macbook Air. Here is the thing, I spent a lot of time customizing my Macbook Pro just the way I like it.

Mostly, I have a lot of email accounts, and it was interesting to get Mail running just the way I like it.

How would I go about taking my new macbook air out of the box, and "Mirroring" my MacBook Pro (all the settings, mail settings/accounts, backgrounds, etc) to my MacBook Air?

I really would appreciate any help or advice!

Thank you!

nagetech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
Thank you for the response.

I actually just tried doing that.

I created a Time Machine Backup from my old Mac (which is running Yosemite, which probably is why it didn't work). I took the drive with the time machine backup and connected it to the new Mac, told it to restore, and all was looking great! Until....it rebooted and just gave me a Circle with a line through it :(

Guess trying to restore a time machine backup from one mac to a totally different mac with a beta O/S isn't gonna happen :(

Thanks anyway!

illusionx

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Brossard, QC
You can use carbon copy to clone your drive to the new laptop as long as you have enough space and your current OS is supported on the new computer.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I took the drive with the time machine backup and connected it to the new Mac, told it to restore

I think you may have done this the wrong way. Instead of restoring the time machine backup, you need to run the Migration Assistant. It will know which system files are not compatible with the new Mac and keep the originals. This has always worked for me when migrating between different Macs running different versions of MacOSX.

Now I don't know what issues might arise from running Yosemite however...

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
You realize the back/restore thing is a one-time deal. As soon as you make another change on one machine, you will be again un-synchronized.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.