Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
So we all know every year we will get parts that leak from China/Taiwan for iphones/ipads, but nothing so far for the iwatch/iband! Do you guys think that's because the actual product is made in the USA? Discuss....

Last edited:

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
I don't follow your logic.

We see leaks for the iphone and ipad because they are made in China, with a huge manufacturing team with many opportunities to leak.

To that logic, we might not be seeing iWatch leaks because the watch is being developed in the USA with either tighter security measures or a much smaller manufacturing team.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Interesting thought but I highly doubt it. I don't see how Apple or any American manufacturer could ramp up hiring and a huge, initial production run without someone finding out along the way or leaking it.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Probably because it's not being produced on the massive scale that iPhones are. Apple manufacturers several millions of iPhones for launch each year because they know how well it will sell. With so many of them being produced it's difficult to prevent leaks. The iWatch is an unproven product and likely will be produced in significantly less quantities than the iPhone. If I recall we didn't get very many leaks, if any, of the first iPhone either.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
So we all know every year we will get parts that leak from China/Taiwan for iphones/ipads, but nothing so far for the iwatch/iband! Do you guys think that's because the actually product is made in the USA? Discuss.....

I thought of this also. The reason is US employes don't leak things.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
We see leaks for the iphone and ipad because they are made in China, with a huge manufacturing team with many opportunities to leak.

To that logic, we might not be seeing iWatch leaks because the watch is being developed in the USA with either tighter security measures or a much smaller manufacturing team.

Small vs. large scale manufacturing sure, but I don't buy the US vs. China argument.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
An iWatch would likely be a top selling item, so it would be too costly to manufacture in the US.

There probably haven't been any leaks because it hasn't entered production yet.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I thought of this also. The reason is US employes don't leak things.

The reason things get leaked is because the low paid (US or China) worker thinks he can make a quick buck.
To say that US workers don't leak things is IMO racist. You can't base a persons level of integrity based on their nationality.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The original iPhone wasn't leaked. If the iWatch is going to be hugely groundbreaking (I imagine it would be if Apple are going to commit to that market), it's going to be under lock-and-key with only a handful of prototypes; then will be demoed and production will begin a few months later.

Just my $0.02.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
The reason things get leaked is because the low paid (US or China) worker thinks he can make a quick buck.
To say that US workers don't leak things is IMO racist. You can't base a persons level of integrity based on their nationality.

Im not being racist. I just looked at Mac Pro. I dont see any leaks for that. Then I look at the sapphire thing they have going in the US. No leaks there. Then I look at things in China like the iPhone, iPad and such. My mind blows up from all the rumors.

----------

You know this for a fact, do you?

I can always count on you to respond to my post...

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Im not being racist. I just looked at Mac Pro. I dont see any leaks for that. Then I look at the sapphire thing they have going in the US. No leaks there. Then I look at things in China like the iPhone, iPad and such. My mind blows up from all the rumors.

----------

I can always count on you to respond to my post...

Your analytical skills are impressive.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
The original iPhone wasn't leaked. If the iWatch is going to be hugely groundbreaking (I imagine it would be if Apple are going to commit to that market), it's going to be under lock-and-key with only a handful of prototypes; then will be demoed and production will begin a few months later.

Just my $0.02.

The original iPhone also was announced well before it was released, somewhere around 6 months, the same could happen with the iWatch if it is real and that would explain the no leaks.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Easy to smuggle out an iPhone, produced in their millions. A little harder to smuggle out a MacPro isn't it?

Your logic is flawed. To say the US are more trustworthy and honest than Chinesse workers is racist.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The original iPhone also was announced well before it was released, somewhere around 6 months, the same could happen with the iWatch if it is real and that would explain the no leaks.

Precisely what I was thinking. I have no doubt it exists and Apple are hiding some awesome tech up their sleeves.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009

Weren't there a few articles a while back on how hardcore Steve was about developing it?

Easy to smuggle out an iPhone, produced in their millions. A little harder to smuggle out a MacPro isn't it?

Well, it is smaller than its former self... :)

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York

Your logic is flawed. To say the US are more trustworthy and honest than Chinesse workers is racist.

I'm not being racist. I'm just trying to think through it a bit with the information i have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.