Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 29, 2006, 10:52 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Dashboard KickStart - Eliminate the wait for Dashboard widge...

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Dashboard KickStart - Eliminate the wait for Dashboard widgets to load
Description:: This great utility launches Dashboard when you login or wake up from sleep, so you don't have to wait for all of you widgets to load.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2006, 01:39 PM   #2
bluebomberman
macrumors 6502a

Anybody willing to be a guinea pig?
Old Jan 29, 2006, 01:45 PM   #3
wdogmedia
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to wdogmedia Send a message via Yahoo to wdogmedia
what's the point....

Don't really understand the reasoning for this app....now if somebody could keep Dashboard active in the background at all times instead of having to spend 10 seconds updating widgets whenever you call them up, THAT would be worth getting.
5gb 1G iPod (very dead)
wdogmedia is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2006, 02:14 PM   #4
TBi
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdogmedia
Don't really understand the reasoning for this app....now if somebody could keep Dashboard active in the background at all times instead of having to spend 10 seconds updating widgets whenever you call them up, THAT would be worth getting.
Dashboard was designed so that when you didn't have the widgets on screen they wouldn't be slowing down your computer. The lag when using them is bad though but programmers should modify them to work better and faster before trying to program them to run all the time, thats the lazy option.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 03:44 PM   #5
Fiveos22
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Fiveos22 Send a message via Yahoo to Fiveos22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBytes
This great utility launches Dashboard when you login or wake up from sleep, so you don't have to wait for all of you widgets to load.

The wait?! If two seconds is considered a wait for an initial launch of dashboard, then I have to ask those people...what do you accomplish in those extra two seconds (or, if you use dashboard 30 times daily, that extra minute every day)?

Answer: Probably nothing. (or post more on MacRumors)
Fiveos22 is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2006, 04:33 PM   #6
Project
macrumors 68020

Dashboard only ever takes a while on bootup for me. Every time aside from that its pretty quick. Pretty reasonable to me.
Project is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2006, 04:46 PM   #7
dloomer
macrumors regular

It's going to depend partly on what sort of widgets you have loaded (and of course how fast your Mac is). I figure you people referring to one to two second load times are using fast-loading widgets such as the Clock, Calculator, Yellow Pages, address book, and the like. I see a bigger lag (five to ten seconds) in widgets that have to load data from the Internet as soon as they're loaded, such as the local weather widgets, sports scoreboards, etc. I guess it's a matter of personal taste whether that's too long to wait or not. I personally never use the Dashboard due partly to the lag time, but of course I'm using a 667MHz PowerBook and the widgets that are most useful to me get their start-up data from the net.
dloomer is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2006, 04:51 PM   #8
ITASOR
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to ITASOR
When I generally use dashboard, it's when I'm in the middle of something else and simply using a widget to check or look something up. I really want to simply find what I need (for example, what day is the XXth of the month) and get back to whatever I was doing ASAP so I don't loose my train of thought. Therefore, that initial dashboard startup (about 15 seconds for me) seems like forever, as it would only take a quick glance to see what I wanted to see in the first place.

This software would be very useful to me, but I won't install it because I hate 3rd party software, especially ones that affect the OS and could potentially get in the way of future updates and things.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 04:55 PM   #9
nagromme
macrumors G5

My Mac cures cancer all night--it doesn't sleep like SOME lazy Macs And thanks to Lock Screen (with Apple's menu bar icon or screensaver) I have no need to log out to be secure. I walk away from my keyboard for more than 15 minutes and my Mac is locked automatically.

So I seldom even have reason to notice Dashboard's startup time.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2006, 06:32 PM   #10
ITASOR
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to ITASOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme
My Mac cures cancer all night--it doesn't sleep like SOME lazy Macs
My Mac saves electricity at night.

Aww, just playin'. If I had a desktop I would fold, but laptops don't go along with folding nicely when you're always moving them and opening/closing them.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 07:55 PM   #11
DMann
Banned

Dashboard response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveos22
The wait?! If two seconds is considered a wait for an initial launch of dashboard, then I have to ask those people...what do you accomplish in those extra two seconds (or, if you use dashboard 30 times daily, that extra minute every day)?

Answer: Probably nothing. (or post more on MacRumors)

True, two seconds is hardly anything to complain about, considering
they are web applications and need minimal access time for
updating. I'll bet the lag will be greatly reduced in OS 10.5,
Leopard, on an Intel Mac.
DMann is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2006, 08:15 PM   #12
Dustintendo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITASOR

Aww, just playin'. If I had a desktop I would fold, but laptops don't go along with folding nicely when you're always moving them and opening/closing them.

and the loud fans:-(
Dustintendo is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2006, 08:48 PM   #13
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

For those of us on cellphone dialup, the Weather widget always shows yesterday's weather, because it takes like 10 seconds to update. I call it up, look at yesterday's prediction for tomorrow, which is today, and then go back to what i'm doing. Meanwhile, it updates itself for today's weather, but I won't notice today's weather until today is tomorrow's yesterday, in which case i'll be looking at today's weather tomorrow.

Umm............

So, anyways, I can see where some folks would use this, but not me. I get along just fine.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 09:52 PM   #14
Fiveos22
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I don't want to sound like a stickler, but hearing this is one of my pet peeves. Chances are small to non-existant that the Folding@Home project is going to return data relevent to cancer research (if it returns data beyond showing that computers cannot predict protein folding). No, if you were actually interested in contributing to the fight against cancer I would suggest the influenza vaccination DC program.

Cancer is much more deeply rooted in the action of viruses and mutagens than it is in protein folding. If you go to Pubmed.com, the medical publication database, and search for "oncovirus" you'll return almost 100000 academic papers, whereas a similar search of "cancer and 'protein folding' " returns less than 650. Contributing to the effort works best when you contribute in the right place. I'm not debating the merits of Folding@Home here, its a very interesting study, I'm just saying that it will not contribute jack to cancer research (if you are actually interested in contributed to cancer research).

We here at MacRumors.com get all up in arms when some windows user doesn't know common place Mac things...however we are just as guilty of ignorance in many other areas.

/rant

All the same, its good that you donate your unused CPU cycles to charity.

Last edited by Fiveos22; Jan 29, 2006 at 09:58 PM.
Fiveos22 is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:33 AM   #15
nockamura
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I don't want to sound like a stickler, but hearing this is one of my pet peeves. Chances are small to non-existant that the Folding@Home project is going to return data relevent to cancer research (if it returns data beyond showing that computers cannot predict protein folding). No, if you were actually interested in contributing to the fight against cancer I would suggest the influenza vaccination DC program.

Cancer is much more deeply rooted in the action of viruses and mutagens than it is in protein folding. If you go to Pubmed.com, the medical publication database, and search for "oncovirus" you'll return almost 100000 academic papers, whereas a similar search of "cancer and 'protein folding' " returns less than 650. Contributing to the effort works best when you contribute in the right place. I'm not debating the merits of Folding@Home here, its a very interesting study, I'm just saying that it will not contribute jack to cancer research (if you are actually interested in contributed to cancer research).

We here at MacRumors.com get all up in arms when some windows user doesn't know common place Mac things...however we are just as guilty of ignorance in many other areas.

/rant

All the same, its good that you donate your unused CPU cycles to charity.
The fact that we don't have published research on something (protein folding in regards to oncogenesis) doesn't mean that further research will not yield breakthroughs later on. My guess as to why pubmed has so many articles about oncoviruses is that much more is known about oncoviruses than is the relationship between cancer and improper protein folding. Viruses are well documented in the medical literature. Improperly folded proteins are much less so. I will hazard to guess that in the future pubmed will have a great many more articles on the subject. At my undergrad institution (UC San Diego) there is a new major called bioinformatics which is devoted to solving these problems.
nockamura is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2006, 12:00 PM   #16
Fiveos22
macrumors 65816

Though we are deviating pretty far from the topic of this thread, I just wanted to restate my stance.

I just spoke with a doctoral student down the hall from my lab (for those of you who don't know, I am a genetics student at the University of Wisconsin and I've been working in a cancer lab for three years now) and I realize that I have been too focused on the genetic basis of disease (which ultimately is the basis for disease) to realize that although things may go wrong on the genetic (DNA) level , the effects are most often realized on the protein level. In that case, a non silent mutation event (in a non silent gene) would almost certainly cause a change in the folding of that protein. Thus, the folding@home project, which ostensibly is working towards the elucidation of why proteins fold the way they do, would be very relevent information to all facets of molecular biology study...including cancer research.

Petite summary: We don't know how proteins fold thus we can't (yet) investigate why misfolded proteins are bad.

However, I maintain that this will only be realized in time and after a shift from the current genome investigation of disease to proteome investigation...and we are many years away from that shift.

Thanks for your insight Nockamura.
Fiveos22 is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2006, 02:57 PM   #17
jlukas
macrumors newbie

I have been using this program for a while now. It seems to me that no one really understands what this program does. It is not designed to speed up the updating of widgets when you press F12, but to speed up the loading of widgets when you first press F12. It does this by simply invoking Dashboard and hiding it again when you log in (and optionally wake from sleep).

Since I usually don't shut down my computer (or log out), and I have the on wake part disabled, this program isn't of much use to me. But when I do restart or log out, my Dashboard is ready for me when I need it.

My only grip is that if you enable Dashboard KickStart's on wake feature as well as the "Require password on wake from sleep" feature, the Authenticate dialog box is un-focused while Dashboard is being KickStarted. In other words, you might be interrupted while typing your password.

-Jacob
jlukas is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2006, 04:39 PM   #18
DrNeroCF
macrumors 6502

I'd rather donate my cpu cycles to Pixar

Not knocking curing cancer or anything, I mean, compared to finding the largest prime number, it's, well, actually useful... however, I'm sure if more cpu is all they need to cure cancer, a room full of real cell processors, or a rudimentary quantum computer could churn far more data than a bunch of home computer getting instructions over a pathetic broadband line.

Plus, all the power that's taking up all over the world is probably causing cancer...

I'll add something relevant to the topic... heh.
Just tap f12 after pulling your computer from sleep, whether you need DB or not... then you won't need this program...
DrNeroCF is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2006, 05:54 PM   #19
nagromme
macrumors G5

Sorry my comment steered some discussion off-topic. Here's a protein-viewer widget to bring things back on track

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITASOR

You know deep down you want to join MacRumors even has their own team! My folding machine IS a laptop... and laptops are frugal with the electricity after all...

Opening/closing it doesn't harm folding. (I leave it running almost closed at night, for the sake of dust. And happily F@H doesn't make my fans go off--although that did happen for a time with a certain Panther update.)

Quote:
Chances are small to non-existant that the Folding@Home project is going to return data relevent to cancer research
Thanks for sharing the link to the influenza program (and your other insights)--that too sounds like valuable research, and another good reason not to sleep your Mac I'm a DC fan and always enjoy reading about new applications for the technology.

But don't disregard the vital importance of Folding@Home--it's not "ignorance" at all:

Connecting F@H to cancer is a short (but true) sound bite headline to help get volunteers interested in learning more--but of course the headline by itself is not a full explanation of the project, which people can get after clicking the link. F@H goes far beyond cancer--it could benefit research into ANY disease that can be connected to protein folding/misfolding--and cancer IS one of them, but there are many others known--Alzheimer's, ALS, etc.--and more yet to be discovered. You mention viruses: some protein folding research applies to exactly that--how viruses function. I saw an article last year about protein folding research into the AIDS virus.

Folding research is not a mature field that's well understood. Rather, it's a vital new area that NEEDS to be understood better. That makes F@H more worthwhile in my view, not less. Now, I'm not an expert in the field by any stretch, but I'm glad to be supporting those who are.

I've seen people object to F@H occasionally--and it really only makes sense only if one believes one of the following:

* That protein folding is not relevant to how the human body works or fails, nor to how pathogens operate. (There's ample scientific evidence to indicate that folding IS relevant.)

OR

* That the same protein folding research could be carried out without computation-intensive simulations.

Protein folding is obviously not the only worthwhile direction for medical or scientific research. Many directions need to be followed all at once, and many different projects are worth helping.

But IS a valuable direction that WILL lead in other, new directions. It seems extraordinarily unlikely that understanding protein folding will fail to lead to new treatments for folding-related diseases. Will cancer be one of them? Probably, but maybe not--and certainly not soon.

You don't do research into a vital new field because you KNOW the outcome. You do it because you don't

Last edited by nagromme; Jan 30, 2006 at 06:23 PM.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:56 PM   #20
nagromme
macrumors G5

BTW, Stanford's F@H site talks about their research into the p53 tumor suppressor:

"To our knowledge, this is the first peer-reviewed results from a distributed computing project related to cancer. Thanks to the continued support of FAH donors, this is will be just the first of many cancer related works that will come from FAH.

Roughly half of all known cancers result from mutations in p53. Our first work in the cancer area examines the tetramerization domain of p53. We predict how p53 folds and in doing so, we can predict which amino acid mutations would be relevant."

More info here--and a pretty picture showing the Leu330 mutation, which has been implicated in cancer.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Mar 22, 2006, 04:40 PM   #21
G99
macrumors 6502

Quote:
This software would be very useful to me, but I won't install it because I hate 3rd party software, especially ones that affect the OS and could potentially get in the way of future updates and things.
Instead of downloading this 3rd party app, why not make your own?

Type this in Script Editor:
tell application "System Events"
key code 111
delay 3
key code 111
end tell

You can obviously change the delay, if you don't want to wait as long. Set this as a start up item in System Prefs, and you're done, without installing a 3rd party app.
G99 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion