Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Aug 20, 2014, 02:58 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

SEC and Longhorn Networks Added to 'WatchESPN' Apple TV Channel

Alongside the new NFL Now channel on the Apple TV debuting today, ESPN has also expanded its WatchESPN channel to include support for college sports with the SEC Network and Longhorn Network.

The SEC Network is a brand-new television network created through a partnership between the Southeastern Conference and ESPN. The network launched last week ahead of the 2014 college football season with plans to cover at least 1000 live events per year from the conference's 21 sports. The network consists of a standard SEC Network channel, which mirrors featured content from the SEC Network television channel, as well as an SEC Network + channel with additional coverage.

The Longhorn Network is focused solely on the University of Texas at Austin athletic program and is also produced in partnership with ESPN. The network is entering its fourth year of availability, but has just been added to the WatchESPN online service this season.

Both networks were added to the WatchESPN iOS app last week, but it has taken a few extra days to make their way to the Apple TV channel. Access to the content is limited to those who have television subscription packages that include the corresponding channels.

Article Link: SEC and Longhorn Networks Added to 'WatchESPN' Apple TV Channel
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 02:59 PM   #2
ZacNicholson
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ZacNicholson
apple tv getting a lot of love today
ZacNicholson is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 03:07 PM   #3
Orlandoech
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacNicholson View Post
I don't know about "a lot of love", but definitely some attention for an attention starving product.
Orlandoech is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 03:17 PM   #4
AlabamaSlammer
macrumors 6502

Roll tide.......
AlabamaSlammer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 03:17 PM   #5
Kebabselector
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacNicholson View Post
For the US Sports audience, the rest of us will keep waiting!
Kebabselector is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 03:53 PM   #6
geeksweep
macrumors newbie

not actual games ....

looks like all you get is actual post coverage or special halftime news. I don't see anything on here that says you can watch actual games live. Thats what I am waiting on.
geeksweep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 03:56 PM   #7
ricci
macrumors regular

Sec rocks! I get the channel already so again my Apple TV is useless ! Don't understand why you would rather use a delayed streaming source instead of just turning on cable and that's it! Still don't understand this ( I bought one to check it out) since you need cable in order to watch anything on Apple TV anyway??? Strange! Everything else you have to buy to watch??
ricci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 04:20 PM   #8
2010mini
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebabselector View Post
For the US Sports audience, the rest of us will keep waiting!
That's up to ESPN

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricci View Post
Sec rocks! I get the channel already so again my Apple TV is useless ! Don't understand why you would rather use a delayed streaming source instead of just turning on cable and that's it! Still don't understand this ( I bought one to check it out) since you need cable in order to watch anything on Apple TV anyway??? Strange! Everything else you have to buy to watch??
Content owners make too much from cable tv so there will be no streaming box competition unless Apple/Google/Microsoft etc become cable tv providers themselves
2010mini is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 04:31 PM   #9
CrazyForApple
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
The more the merrier
CrazyForApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:14 PM   #10
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

There is getting to be a lot of hierarchy you have to sort through. AppleTV now would benefit from a top-level "search", where results from Netflix, PBS Kids, iTunes or whatever other channels you've activated show up.

"Oh, Curious George is not on Netflix. I guess I'll search all these other channels. Sit tight, screaming child."
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:25 PM   #11
kevo1011
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricci View Post
I'm the opposite. I can't get it on my tv but I can watch it live on atv3. I don't understand it. I have a HD xfinity box, and don't understand why I don't get it.
kevo1011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2014, 02:02 AM   #12
campyguy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo1011 View Post
I'm the opposite. I can't get it on my tv but I can watch it live on atv3. I don't understand it. I have a HD xfinity box, and don't understand why I don't get it.
I don't have an Xfinity box, but I do use a Tivo Roamio on Comcast's network. My Roamio got a message very early this morning that the SEC Channel was added. The Roamio at my field office didn't have the channel until we rescanned the network. Try a rescan or refresh of your channels or reboot your box, Comcast might be pushing out updates in waves - just a thought. I logged into each account from a browser, both the SEC and Longhorn channels showed up online before they were in my Roamios.
campyguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2014, 08:48 AM   #13
sjjones
macrumors newbie

Apparently not available for Time Warner Cable, even though we get the channel.
sjjones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2014, 09:11 AM   #14
kevo1011
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyguy View Post
I don't have an Xfinity box, but I do use a Tivo Roamio on Comcast's network. My Roamio got a message very early this morning that the SEC Channel was added. The Roamio at my field office didn't have the channel until we rescanned the network. Try a rescan or refresh of your channels or reboot your box, Comcast might be pushing out updates in waves - just a thought. I logged into each account from a browser, both the SEC and Longhorn channels showed up online before they were in my Roamios.
Will try. I know that calling customer service will be an ordeal.
kevo1011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:55 PM   #15
oldskoolrokr
macrumors newbie

Providers need to be added like Directv.
I switched from Verizon Fios to Directv and now I'm ass out ?
oldskoolrokr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2014, 04:54 PM   #16
campyguy
macrumors 6502a

I noticed the Longhorn Channel appeared today in my ATV app after I signed out and back in today, even though to me it's not a big get for me as the 'Horns haven't had a decent year in a while. This from a former Austinite who used to match up against Kenneth Sims in pickup hoops (which dates me just a bit...).

What's a bit odd to me is that I'm on Comcast, which does not have an agreement with the Longhorn Network
campyguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 09:30 AM   #17
b-rad g
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjjones View Post
Apparently not available for Time Warner Cable, even though we get the channel.
Any word on if this will be available for TW by the time the season starts? I've spoken to one csa but as usual they either don't understand or just keep saying it is available on cable.

Getting mixed info when googling on this.
b-rad g is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion