Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

truz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
Florida
I have an intel imac (20" - 2ghz - 2GB ram - 256mb vram) and I just downloaded the SysStats widgets and its saying I have 136mb wired, 265mb active, 1.37gb inactive, 1.76gb used, 245mb free, swap 64.00mb ? Should be this like this and whats inactive memory? I only have 4 torrents going for music, adium, 5 safari windows, mail, dashboard, finder, fetch, preview, textedit (all lowered down in the dock other then 3 safari windows out of 5)

iPhil

macrumors 68040
truz said:
I have an intel imac (20" - 2ghz - 2GB ram - 256mb vram) and I just downloaded the SysStats widgets and its saying I have 136mb wired, 265mb active, 1.37gb inactive, 1.76gb used, 245mb free, swap 64.00mb ? Should be this like this and whats inactive memory? I only have 4 torrents going for music, adium, 5 safari windows, mail, dashboard, finder, fetch, preview, textedit (all lowered down in the dock other then 3 safari windows out of 5)

The inactive ram is basically free ram.. so you got 1.6 GB free ram total ..

The wired ram is the amount that OS (Tiger) uses to keep OS operating etc..

Active Ram is the current ram being used by OS or other apps ..

the swap amount is a one i still don't know about either.. :confused: :confused:

Hope i cleared up some info. for you

The answers i gave were from memory so if someone has more info on the Questions or clearing up my answers go ahead :eek: :eek:

truz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
Florida
Thanks to the both of you. I just wanted to know what inactive was as it was using the most.. kinda odd how apple displays inactive and free.. why not call it all free memory?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.