Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lourayad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
Hi everyone I need to upgrade my late 2011 macbook pro because it gets noisy when I run linux on VMware even though I upgraded into SSD, so I was wondering which is quieter the late 2013 rMBP or Air? I'm considering getting one refurbished. All my concerns are about the fan I think both of the machines suit my needs for computing (.Net and VMs). Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
Since running VMs is CPU extensive, you hear the fan.
Since the MacBook Pro with Retina Display has a new and quieter fan design, it might be your best bet.
You could always try them in the store running a benchmark or something similar CPU intensive.

Lourayad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
Since running VMs is CPU extensive, you hear the fan.
Since the MacBook Pro with Retina Display has a new and quieter fan design, it might be your best bet.
You could always try them in the store running a benchmark or something similar CPU intensive.
Thanks for replying, but I only use a VM to run linux fedora I use bootcamp to run Visual Studio, I thought it shouldn't be noisy but maybe my macbook is just getting old..so a rMBP or it is I think :)

yosemit

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
I can only tell Air 2013 (almost the same as Air 2014) is super quiet for 95% of time. I run Windows 8.1 VM for some programming IDEs and Redhat Linux VM for eclipse and gcc, for which the Air is silent.

The Haswell processor in the Air has 15W TDP, and the Haswell in the rMBP is 28W, so the Air produces less heat. The two have about the same CPU performance, and the rMBP has more powerful GPU.

Lourayad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
I can only tell Air 2013 (almost the same as Air 2014) is super quiet for 95% of time. I run Windows 8.1 VM for some programming IDEs and Redhat Linux VM for eclipse and gcc, for which the Air is silent.

The Haswell processor in the Air has 15W TDP, and the Haswell in the rMBP is 28W, so the Air produces less heat. The two have about the same CPU performance, and the rMBP has more powerful GPU.
Hmm interesting I don't really care about GPU nor the fancy Retina screen I just want some power and a quiet machine the only problem is there is no refurbished Air with 8gb of ram how much memory do you have?

Edit: Actually there is but expensive ($1439)

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
My 2013 13" MBA with i7/8/512 run the fan with little to no noise unless I am doing something intensive like updates, etc. It is running Win7 Pro via BootCamp.

95% of the time is is quiet as a mouse!:p

yosemit

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
I got my 2013 11" i7/8GB/256GB for $1379 with education discount. It's used with 24" monitor when I do programming, so 11" is as good as 13". The two have identical performance. Wish it helps.

Hmm interesting I don't really care about GPU nor the fancy Retina screen I just want some power and a quiet machine the only problem is there is no refurbished Air with 8gb of ram how much memory do you have?

Edit: Actually there is but expensive ($1439)

Lourayad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
Thanks guys I think I'll go for a Macbook Air since I'm only gonna run the VM for Linux and dedicate 1gb of ram to it so 4GB machine will be fine, and use Win 8.1 via bootcamp. Thanks a lot :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.