Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rahul247rocks

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2012
I just got the base model of the newly released macbook pro retina display 15inch around 7-8 days ago. I keep experiencing heating issues on the device. For example while playing a simple game like Real Boxing HD, it would get really hot on the top half of the keyboard and I can also hear the fan rolling at full speed.

I also experienced that the heating increases when i am charging my Mac.

My question is that whether these things are normal or should I call up Apple for a fix. Will they replace it or something?

Mac Experts I need your help.

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
This is completely normal behavior. When you use your CPU at 100% the machine will get hot and the fans will turn on. As long as your computer doesn't shut down suddenly you're fine.

LauraGrubbe

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2014
You can download something like istat to see if it's actually overheating or not. I don't remember how high a temperature is considered overheating but right now my 5 y/o MBP is 64C which is pretty normal, the fan isn't on. When I get up around 80C I start having problems and I don't know how much but if it goes above that it shuts down. I can't run heavy programs anymore since it's an old computer I've had since I was young hence I've dropped it a lot and so on.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
You can download something like istat to see if it's actually overheating or not. I don't remember how high a temperature is considered overheating but right now my 5 y/o MBP is 64C which is pretty normal, the fan isn't on. When I get up around 80C I start having problems and I don't know how much but if it goes above that it shuts down. I can't run heavy programs anymore since it's an old computer I've had since I was young hence I've dropped it a lot and so on.

Overheating is 105 degrees Celsius I believe.

LauraGrubbe

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2014
Thanks, and owh well, then my com has done good today, barely made it over 70! But yea, I think it shuts down when I get above 90-100-ish but I guess it's because my computer is so old and torn.

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Everything up to about 100°C under full load is normal for the Haswell rMPBs.
Unfortunately.

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
One thing people don't take into account when gaming on a laptop is that while simpler games need less resources to run well they often just render as many frames/second as they have the thermal overhead for.

Enabling v-sync will limit to 60fps, though it also introduces some input lag and will cause stuttering if you drop below 60fps. A simple frame capping option works well if it's available, but many games don't have this feature.

In a quick search I found several utilities that allow you to cap 3D rendering frame rates in Windows, but none for Mac. They may exist if you look a bit harder than I did.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Yep laptops get warm that's pretty standard. They ALL do that since 1980. It's nothing new so ...

In other news I can play games on my laptop just fine with minimal warming. So the fans run pretty solid. It cools a lot better than my mid-2012 which would get really hot even with a fan underneath it.:eek:

I just got the base model of the newly released macbook pro retina display 15inch around 7-8 days ago. I keep experiencing heating issues on the device. For example while playing a simple game like Real Boxing HD, it would get really hot on the top half of the keyboard and I can also hear the fan rolling at full speed.

My question is that whether these things are normal or should I call up Apple for a fix. Will they replace it or something?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My 2012 rMBP runs about 40c and gets up to the 60c mark for some regular work. Depending on how hot your mac is getting and depending on the tasks, it may be normal or may not.

Are you fans starting up? What temperature are you seeing?

rahul247rocks

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2012
looks like the issue is pretty common then. I was planning to go to the Apple store but I guess ill pass. I have the intel IRIS pro model.

LauraGrubbe

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2014
rahul247rocks I'd like to add that if you can't shake the thought that there might be something wrong, go with your gut instinct and get it checked out. There is bound to be a computer once in a while with a mistake and we can't say in here if that's yours or not - and good luck with it.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

Gaming needs power. Power's byproduct is heat.

What you are experiencing is 100% normal behaviour. If your MBP was overheating, it would shut down on its own to prevent damage.

eezacque

Feb 17, 2013

Yes, it is normal, and, no, it is not good. Heat will have a negative effect on the components and soldering of your machine, which means it is not likely to last long after your Applecare has expired. Because everything is soldered right onto the logic board, it means it will be economically dead, by then. And, no, Apple will not replace it or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.