Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
For my retina MacBook Pro, I had purchased it using my Discover Card. Per this link, Discover extends the original manufacturer warranty for an additional year.

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/help-center/faqs/extended-product-warranty.html

For an Apple MacBook, the original warranty is 1-year covering parts and service (only 90 days for the phone support, but that's ok). If I read this right, I automatically now have a full 2nd year of coverage (via Discover, but matching the Apple Warranty terms). I do not plan to buy the additional AppleCare from Apple since a) this is free for year #2 and b) very likely I'll upgrade to another MacBook near the 2-year mark.

My question is: has anyone here used this benefit from Discover on their MacBook and did it go smoothly? I'm hoping (in the event I have an issue) I can take it to my nearby Apple Genius Bar, get it fixed, then reimbursed by Discover. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.