Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2010
so my friend is selling an Apple TV 1st gen 40gb for 40 bucks. is it worth it?

I've done some research and i thought i could turn it into a poor mans mac mini. I saw you can install leopard and run it through an external.

i was thinking of using it as a media server just to store music and videos and play it back on the TV, rather than have it stream from my computer.

or i could just jailbreak it and install xmbc and boxee, so it can play avi and mkv files.

I also learned you could install and IDE to SATA converter and have the internal HDD run off SATA instead.

Many options but a few people said that I'm better off using an Apple TV 2nd gen which can also use an external and be jailbroken.

id appreciate some opinions, i haven't decided yet and I've got till saturday to think about it

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Many options but a few people said that I'm better off using an Apple TV 2nd gen which can also use an external and be jailbroken.

I agreed with what most people are telling you. Personally i don't think the first gen worth the effort or time. you are 1000000 times better off with a 2nd gen jailbroken.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2010
thats what i meant like the apple TV 1st gen can run independent of a laptop, and don't have to stream stuff. My idea is that i just probably update the apple tv once a week so i can watch stuff without firing up my laptop :cool:

Last edited:

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
thats what i meant like the apple TV 1st gen can run independent of a laptop, and don't have to stream stuff. My idea is that i just probably update the apple tv once a week so i can watch stuff without firing up my laptop :cool:

An atv 1 for $40 US. is a steal. I did the original esata conversion way back and it works phenomenally, still running it daily with a 2 TB esata drive and as well a 1 TB usb drive via the usb connection which is normalized via linux/xbmc.

Its completely a standalone system. Runs a Broadcom CHD card and eats raw decrypted blu ray easily.

Yeah, for $40 if you don't want it I would take it in a minute.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
An atv 1 for $40 US. is a steal. I did the original esata conversion way back and it works phenomenally, still running it daily with a 2 TB esata drive and as well a 1 TB usb drive via the usb connection which is normalized via linux/xbmc.

Its completely a standalone system. Runs a Broadcom CHD card and eats raw decrypted blu ray easily.

Well I have a 160GB 1st gen boxed up that I never got around to selling that you're welcome to dynaflash. It was in perfect working order when I boxed it up--was mothballed when the :apple:TV 2nd gen was released. How's $50 and you pay the shipping? Just PM me if you're interested.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2010

This is my plan, but i was just thinking keeping the 40gb inside and 1TB outside as a stand alone system :) thanks for the boost of confidence haha

bubsdaddy

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
The Woodlands, TX
can't figure out how to pm

Well I have a 160GB 1st gen boxed up that I never got around to selling that you're welcome to dynaflash. It was in perfect working order when I boxed it up--was mothballed when the :apple:TV 2nd gen was released. How's $50 and you pay the shipping? Just PM me if you're interested.

I can't figure out how to PM you or maybe my post count is too low but I am interested in this if it is still available.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I can't figure out how to PM you or maybe my post count is too low but I am interested in this if it is still available.

It is available and you probably don't have private messaging enabled in your profile settings. Right below the Front Page link on the top left of any Forum page, you'll see another link for User CP. Click that, then click Edit Options about halfway down the lefthand side of the subsequent page. Once you see your Options, the checkbox to enable Private Messaging is about halfway down.

Once you have it enabled, go ahead and send me a private message by clicking on my profile name--should see the send a private message option. I just don't prefer to publish my email address in the main posts or hijack a form to have a personal dialogue--I'm sure you understand.

Todenymyflesh

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2014
apple tv

do you still have the apple tv?

bubsdaddy

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
The Woodlands, TX
It is available and you probably don't have private messaging enabled in your profile settings. Right below the Front Page link on the top left of any Forum page, you'll see another link for User CP. Click that, then click Edit Options about halfway down the lefthand side of the subsequent page. Once you see your Options, the checkbox to enable Private Messaging is about halfway down.

Once you have it enabled, go ahead and send me a private message by clicking on my profile name--should see the send a private message option. I just don't prefer to publish my email address in the main posts or hijack a form to have a personal dialogue--I'm sure you understand.

I still can't PM. The mods are working on it.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
ATV1 (and ATV2) are too old. I suggest just going for the Amazon Fire TV. I have both that and an ATV2 with XBMC loaded and XBMC is amazing on the Fire TV. :D

(this was for streaming purposes. If you want to do other things, go for the ATV1)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.