Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quatermass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
Not sure if this is the right place for this but as it has a Mac Pro in it, thought I'd try!

Here's the thing: I use my Mac Pro as our home wifi/airport base station. Works pretty well, does everything we need. The problem is this: when I use my iPad, it can't find it's location, for things like Maps. Obviously it doesn't know where the Mac Pro is located, so I submitted my MAC address to http://www.skyhookwireless.com/, which it says will update immediately and the iPad will get the proper location. Done that, hasn't worked. I can only think I'm sending the wrong MAC address - question is, what is the right one and where to get it, and does this approach actually work with Mac Pro internal airports?

Cheers

Quatermass

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
iOS devices do not use Skyhook for location any more. Updating Skyhook won't change anything.

Apple will use a combination of GPS and Wifi information from your devices to update their database. If you have iOS devices in your household that have both GPS and Wifi, you may see the data eventually update when Apple pulls it from your devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.