Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in January, we profiled growing concerns from owners of 2011 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro models over failing graphics chips and system crashes. While Apple has assisted some customers with logic board replacements, the issues have been known to reoccur after servicing and some users have been faced with expensive repair bills to address the problem.

macbook_pro_2011_graphics_issue.jpg
With a Facebook group exceeding 2,200 members and a change.org petition requesting a more substantial response from Apple having surpassed 10,000 signatures, the issue appears to be a fairly widespread one, and now lawyers are getting involved in the situation.

Attorneys from Washington, DC-based Whitfield Bryson & Mason LLP have addressed the Facebook group, launching a survey to gather information from affected MacBook Pro owners as the firm considers a possible class action lawsuit.
Alerted to the pervasive failures concerning the 2011 MBP GPU's, we commenced an investigation leading us to your community.

Your posts are a great source of information, but to determine if any legal claims may exist, we need your help. Please take a few minutes to complete the survey below.
The firm touts its experience with lawsuits against other technology companies including topics such as Google Buzz privacy issues, Lenovo IdeaPad hardware problems, and more. While it is not certain that a class action suit will be filed against Apple, it's clear the issue is a substantial one.

The discrete graphics chips used in the affected machines are from AMD, and Apple previously launched a replacement program for AMD graphics cards used in 27-inch iMacs from a similar time period. While the graphics chips used in the two machines are different, the iMac repair program indicates that Apple would be willing to launch a similar program for the MacBook Pro if it is able to diagnose the issue and be convinced the problem requires such a program. Typically such programs provide for free repairs and reimbursement for those who had previously paid for repairs to fix the issue.

Article Link: Lawyers Researching Possible Class Action Lawsuit Over 2011 MacBook Pro Graphics Issues

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Quite right as well. Hopefully will make Apple sit up and take notice and do something to resolve this issue.

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
I am a victim of this debacle and had to shell out €550 ($730) in Germany to have my MacBook's logic board repaired. 4 months later the replaced logic board exhibited the same problem and stopped working.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
I will happily take part.

My MBP, however faithful and wicked awesome it's been, has had it's card fail already outside of AC (1.5-2 years), costing me a good chunk of change, and lately it's been having the same behaviors as before, a sign that it could be failing again.

I'm pretty disappointed with this issue - I understand all things have a break, but this really does seem to be a failure of design rather than abnormal stress. My previous Mac chugged away for 5 years before having any sort of internal issue, I'd expect a decent 3-4 out of my next.

SmokyD

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
Hopefully Apple will see the logic behind this issue and offer a resolution asap.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
I had the issue and had my logic board replaced (I paid out of pocket). Getting reimbursed would be great.

BeamWalker

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
Dedicated GPU's on Apple's mobile Computer's don't really have the best track record when it comes to a long lifespan.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Normally these lawsuits are borderline bogus, but this one has legs.

Apple could have long put this situation behind them, but the stain on their reputation is only getting bigger the more they drag their feet.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
No ridiculous amounts for the people with the problem, but free repairs or equivalent exchanges as many times as needed.

And high compensation for the downtime every time a repair has to be made.

It will be cheaper for Apple to exchange for rMBP or offer full refunds for the people who cannot downgrade to such a design.

Last edited:

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Do these models have switchable graphics? (meaning you could force the OS to always use Intel graphics) Guessing not.

I realize that cripples the machine, but using slower graphics is better than not using the computer at all.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not a fan of class action suits but its these types of situations that its meant for. Clearly their is something wrong with the 2011 model and apple's refusal to listen to its customers if shocking. Hopefully they'll change directions and fix the MBPs

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
If Apple wouldn't be so greed, they would replace and get +1. Now they will lose some customers and will gain negative feedbacks... I love Apple products but their arrogance sometimes annoys me...

tbone7467

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
Is this the only 15 and 17 model? Ive seen my 13 MacBook pro do the same screen as the one in original post. its random but happens

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
Good, if Apple won't respond to issues that are obvious to everyone but them then it's time for the lawsuits. Next someone needs to bring a suit against them for the horrendous magsafe power adapter issues (fraying, crumbling etc). I've been buying Macbooks from them for 5 years and every single power adapter has fallen apart regardless of how it was treated.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
It was quite clearly a issue with subpar components, I feel like it's more of an old apple trick to make you pay for parts that are going to fail anyway.

Apple should have acknowledged it as a manufacturing fault at the time and recalled or setup a free replacement program. I think that will happen now, but it's a shame lawyers need to be involved for there to be any action.

I think an issue exists with iPhones that just completely brick and show connect to iTunes but cannot be restored no matter what, this will raise it's ugly head later on too.

If something is out of warranty I kind feel like apple doesn't need to do anything, but that depends on your warranty period in your country as to how fair that is.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
My 13in 2011 MacBook Pro had this issue but I had the logic board and a memory module replaced via AppleCare+ to resolve it. When buying an expensive item from Apple, AppleCare+ is a must.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.