Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
Niiice. I just switched back to T-Mobile and I'm not sure if it's because my phone has the 700mhz band or what, but the service seems a lot better then it did about a year ago. Granted I live in a major city and rarely travel outside the city by car so I can't speak to rural coverage.

Pretty happy with my unlimited LTE at the moment.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I think T-Mobile is still overpriced when you factor in the EIP payment on the phone. And as long as they are using high frequencies, LTE inside buildings will almost always cut out.

1 Line
$80 UNL Data + Tlk + Txt
$27 iPhone 5S
$107/mo PLUS taxes

That's high for unreliable service. And I say that because the T-Mobile signal drops even in excellent coverage areas when you go indoors.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Good luck with that pathetic network! My wife and I drove from Minneapolis to Pigeon Forge, TN last week and she has T-Mobile. 80% of the drive she had no service, not even Edge. Mean while, I had one small stretch in Indiana where I lost my AT&T service otherwise I had HSPA+ or LTE the rest of the drive!

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Good luck with that pathetic network! My wife and I drove from Minneapolis to Pigeon Forge, TN last week and she has T-Mobile. 80% of the drive she had no service, not even Edge. Mean while, I had one small stretch in Indiana where I lost my AT&T service otherwise I had HSPA+ or LTE the rest of the drive!

Eh its not a Verizon or AT&T but I drove from New York to Milwaukee, WI and I-90 had a surprisingly good level of T-Mobile coverage, NY State T-Mobile coverage sucks but on the PA and Ohio turnpike I noticed they replaced allot of EDGE only sites with straight up LTE, like they didn't even upgrade to UMTS/HSPA+ just right to LTE...Although a few stretches in rural Indiana were GPRS :O I almost s*** a kitten when I saw GPRS light up on my iPhone! Although from Chicago to Milwaukee I had T-Mobile LTE the entire time, was surprised there too...It was still iffy, idk if my network settings were off or if this is all new on their end but I only used T-Mobile while in a major metro area. Verizon had me covered with LTE the entire time (albeit more expensively!). Just curious how far was your drive?

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I like the way this company is headed and the changes it keeps making to the US wireless industry.
You can tell by the words of their CEO:

“It continues to amaze me to see the old carriers failing to listen to their customers−or reward them for their loyalty,”
“That arrogance and indifference has defined the U.S. wireless industry for too long. We’re changing all that. In fact, this entire Un-carrier consumer movement is built on the simple act of listening to customers.”

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I like the way this company is headed and the changes it keeps making to the US wireless industry.
You can tell by the words of their CEO:

“It continues to amaze me to see the old carriers failing to listen to their customers−or reward them for their loyalty,”
“That arrogance and indifference has defined the U.S. wireless industry for too long. We’re changing all that. In fact, this entire Un-carrier consumer movement is built on the simple act of listening to customers.”

Well how can you not like the company based on that! Really they may still not have the coverage of the bigger guys but they are improving every day and its something I notice. They are the underdog and I think the US has a special likening to the underdog. John is also a hilarious dude but he's very real.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Well how can you not like the company based on that! Really they may still not have the coverage of the bigger guys but they are improving every day and its something I notice. They are the underdog and I think the US has a special likening to the underdog. John is also a hilarious dude but he's very real.

Exactly.
They are heading towards the right direction instead of the 2 big carriers that just keep giving less options to their customers and keep charging more and making their terms stricter.
If it wasn't for Tmobile none of this uncarrier thing would have happened. No discounts on plans without contracts, no "jump" type of programs or byod plans etc...
If AT&T ended up buying them and then down the road verizon could have bought Sprint we'd be stuck with 2 carrier options only battling how to line up their pockets more and nickel and dime their customers.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Looks like this is T-Mobile's response to Sprint announcing their $60 unlimited plan today. Could be the opening salvos for a larger price war.

http://www.sprint.com/landings/datashare/index.html?ECID=vanity:newday

The way I read it, this basically gives switchers unlimited high speed data for as little as $50/month for a year (all T-Mobile Simple Choice plans are unlimited, but this removes the throttling for switchers), and rolls back the price for T-Mobile's current unlimited LTE customers to $70/month for a year.

Sprint's new unlimited pricing looks good, but you still can't bring a factory unlocked phone to their network. And any phones you buy from them will be locked down at least until the new law takes full effect.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Exactly.
They are heading towards the right direction instead of the 2 big carriers that just keep giving less options to their customers and keep charging more and making their terms stricter.
If it wasn't for Tmobile none of this uncarrier thing would have happened. No discounts on plans without contracts, no "jump" type of programs or byod plans etc...
If AT&T ended up buying them and then down the road verizon could have bought Sprint we'd be stuck with 2 carrier options only battling how to line up their pockets more and nickel and dime their customers.

Well said. They are really driving down the prices in the market, I mean I can't think of a better example of competition...it just needed to happen sooner :p Also I feel their upgrades like I said its very noticeable. When they said they were going to upgrade EDGE only sites to LTE I sort of chuckled but all down I-90 on the Ohio turnpike I was picking up LTE signals, granted it was only 3MHz or 5MHz carriers on 1900MHz and the signals were weak and iffy but I feel like this time next year when I drive back down I-90 I'm going to have allot more LTE. I mean these LTE sites were in areas with zero UMTS/HSPA...I even was at a rest stop where I had 5 bars of LTE but if I disabled LTE it went straight to GPRS! Not even EDGE! talk about aggressive! Only issue was allot of the LTE sites had to be for testing only as the connection like I said was weak in many areas but thats how it started in my area before my whole town was lit up with flawless HSPA+. I have allot of mixed feelings about T-Mobile but most are good. I swap my Verizon SIM card out regularly with my T-Mobile one to check coverage and its always expanding. Now just hoping they can get that 700MHz Band 12 up!

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Looks like this is T-Mobile's response to Sprint announcing their $60 unlimited plan today. Could be the opening salvos for a larger price war.

http://www.sprint.com/landings/datashare/index.html?ECID=vanity:newday

The way I read it, this basically gives switchers unlimited high speed data for as little as $50/month for a year (all T-Mobile Simple Choice plans are unlimited, but this removes the throttling for switchers), and rolls back the price for T-Mobile's current unlimited LTE customers to $70/month for a year.

Sprint's new unlimited pricing looks good, but you still can't bring a factory unlocked phone to their network. And any phones you buy from them will be locked down at least until the new law takes full effect.

Yeah the whole thing with Sprint locking the phones down and not allowing you to say port a Verizon phone over is a turn off for me...even if I wanted to switch to Sprint It would just be a pain.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
I think T-Mobile is still overpriced when you factor in the EIP payment on the phone. And as long as they are using high frequencies, LTE inside buildings will almost always cut out.

"almost always cut out"? I've been on T-Mobile for almost a year, and only lost connection indoors a handful of times -- usually in a large concrete building like a mall or convention center. I'm in an office building right now, and just speed tested 11 Mbps/17 Mbps. :cool:

1 Line
$80 UNL Data + Tlk + Txt
$27 iPhone 5S
$107/mo PLUS taxes

That's high for unreliable service. And I say that because the T-Mobile signal drops even in excellent coverage areas when you go indoors.

But, if you're a switcher from a different carrier, it sounds like they're offering unlimited high-speed data for all of their Simple Choice plans, which start at $50/month. And the offer includes $10 off for existing unlimited customers, which takes the cost down to $70/month for them.

And if you already have an unlocked phone, you can bring it to T-Mobile's network -- which would take the cost down to less than half of what you listed.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

1 Line
$80 UNL Data + Tlk + Txt
$27 iPhone 5S
$107/mo PLUS taxes

Well to be fair this isn't an accurate comparison to any carrier other than Sprint since AT&T/Verizon do not offer an UNL data plan. What would be the equivalent? 10GB?, 20GB?, 30GB? If I'm using 11-12GB per month, $107 on T-Mobile is way cheaper than the 12GB share plans on the big 2.

Plus this promotion applies to all of their plans. Meaning starting at $50 you get UNL data. $77 for unlimited data and an iPhone 5S for $0 upfront sounds pretty good to me.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN

Is Minneapolis bad? I live there and am on att. Unfortunately, at work (Minnetonka) inside, my service is really bad. For years, my att signal was excellent, even indoors. Lately, it's sporadic.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Is Minneapolis bad? I live there and am on att. Unfortunately, at work (Minnetonka) inside, my service is really bad. For years, my att signal was excellent, even indoors. Lately, it's sporadic.

Tmobile coverage in Minneapolis is as good as Tmobile gets. Seriously. If you live in the metro area and don't travel all that often, it's a no brainer if you can save a good chunk of money (not all t-mobile plans are cheaper than ATT though).

----------

When is uncarrier 7? They said late Summer.

September 22 is the last day of summer, so I'm guessing uncarrier 7 will have to be huge in an attempt to steal iPhone buyers.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007

As with all things when discussing network quality, it varies by location. No question that T-Mobile focuses on the metro areas, and has considerable coverage gaps once you get into the outlying areas.

In the Bay Area, T-Mobile's coverage is very good and with the majority now LTE. Only in certain areas around Oakland and around some of the pricier neighborhoods along the peninsula (where residents will raise a **** storm over any proposed new cell towers) have I found spottier coverage.

Supposedly, issues with AT&T's data speeds in some areas have more to do with the large number of people now crowding onto their network. T-Mobile has tested faster than AT&T in some areas, and that very well might have to do with T-Mobile simply having fewer subscribers.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I seriously wish reception here wasn't awful. Maybe I will give them a try again just to see...

Will they still pay your ETF by the way?

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
If Tmobiles data speed and reception was good to excellent they wouldn't have to offer all these promotions to get customers. While they have improved, they still have a long ways to go to catch up to ATT or Verizon.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If Tmobiles data speed and reception was good to excellent they wouldn't have to offer all these promotions to get customers. While they have improved, they still have a long ways to go to catch up to ATT or Verizon.

To be fair, they say their network has improved and they want people to try it out. Seems urban dwellers who don't venture far away are happy campers.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Here in Broomfield Colorado, T-Mobile is the best carrier and they are only ones who can give me LTE in my house and everywhere I go. I Broke my contract with AT&T and Verizon nearly two years ago to switch to T-Mobile and have no regretted it. Best carrier EVER!.

They never did charge me my EIP fee for buying my iPhone last November so I've been getting unlimited on my 5S for $77 per month. I've heard that others have had this happen as well.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
I'm currently testing T-Mobile using my unlocked 5S and while their coverage has improved over the last few years, there are still far too many pockets of EDGE and one area on a major road that has no service for at least a half a mile. Until this is fixed I will never give up the reliable service that I have with AT&T for T-Mobile, no matter how cheap the price is.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013

There are a lot of dead spots and also a lot of buildings have a hard time getting signal penetration on T-Mobile's network. Outside of MSP, their service drops off and is horrible. Anything north of Forest Lake is non-existent until Duluth and there's nothing between Hastings and Rochester.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

I'm not surprised at all. T-Mobile is just THAT bad. I love how they brag about Nationwide 4G and how "Data Strong" they are, yet barely manage to cover major highways with USABLE service.

I'm in Niagara Falls right now and the T-Mo service is just dreadful. I basically only got LTE/HSPA on the drive over when I was by major cities. Even in my hotel, I'm supposed to have excellent LTE, but it's currently sitting on EDGE... My AT&T line? I had LTE the entire trip, except for a few miles here and there in rural NY, where I still maintained a working HSPA connection. No EDGE/GPRS ever.

I went from Boston to Mohegan Sun last week. My AT&T device had LTE service the entire trip. Didn't drop once. My buddy with VZW had LTE the entire trip. Once I got out of Boston and off of I-90, onto 395, T-Mobile is essentially GPRS. At Mohegan Sun, T-Mobile service is also non-existent (same with Sprint). VZW/AT&T devices? Full service indoors. They're on the indoor DAS.

I honestly don't give two ***** on how cheap the service is and how "amazing" that snake Legere is. Their network doesn't backup his pathetically bold claims. Simple as that. No one could pay me to go to TMo/Sprint. There is no way I'm giving up usable cell phone service to save a few pennies every month. I'm not that cheap.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I'm not surprised at all. T-Mobile is just THAT bad. I love how they brag about Nationwide 4G and how "Data Strong" they are, yet barely manage to cover major highways with USABLE service.

I'm in Niagara Falls right now and the T-Mo service is just dreadful. I basically only got LTE/HSPA on the drive over when I was by major cities. Even in my hotel, I'm supposed to have excellent LTE, but it's currently sitting on EDGE... My AT&T line? I had LTE the entire trip, except for a few miles here and there in rural NY, where I still maintained a working HSPA connection. No EDGE/GPRS ever.

I went from Boston to Mohegan Sun last week. My AT&T device had LTE service the entire trip. Didn't drop once. My buddy with VZW had LTE the entire trip. Once I got out of Boston and off of I-90, onto 395, T-Mobile is essentially GPRS. At Mohegan Sun, T-Mobile service is also non-existent (same with Sprint). VZW/AT&T devices? Full service indoors. They're on the indoor DAS.

I honestly don't give two ***** on how cheap the service is and how "amazing" that snake Legere is. Their network doesn't backup his pathetically bold claims. Simple as that. No one could pay me to go to TMo/Sprint. There is no way I'm giving up usable cell phone service to save a few pennies every month. I'm not that cheap.

Obviously T-Mobile doesn't have the great coverage that Verizon and AT&T have. It costs a ton of money to even build a cell tower and for T-Mobile, they would have to build at least three towers for every one tower AT&T and Verizon build, since T-Mobile uses AWS and PCS.

Luckily, all of T-Mobile's EDGE will get filled in with LTE (with some areas getting HSPA+). That includes making the network denser.

Oh and that 700A MHz that T-Mobile has purchased: Some sites are already up and we just need phones to support Band 12.

Basically, once T-Mobile purchases a national swath of 700A (which will happen, as T-Mobile desperately wants low-frequencies), we can all expect coverage to be equal or greater than AT&T/Verizon, being on T-Mobile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.