Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It appears that many individuals are currently experiencing issues with iCloud, with several people reporting difficulties receiving/sending iCloud mail and logging into iCloud.com. Users attempting to access iCloud.com are receiving the following error message: "iCloud encountered an error while trying to connect to the server."

icloudoutage.jpg
Users appear to have been experiencing issues for the last half an hour or so and Apple's System Status Page is now listing downtime for some users for a slew of iCloud services, including Find My Friends, Back to My Mac, Find My iPhone, iCloud Accounts, Photos, iWork for iCloud, and more.

systemservices.jpg
Over the last several months, iCloud has been down multiple times, with the longest outage happening just over a month ago. In July, a small percentage of users were unable to access iCloud Mail for approximately 27 hours.

Update 12:30 PM PT: According to Apple's System Status page, the issues with iCloud have been resolved.

Article Link: iCloud Services Currently Down for Some Users [Update: Fixed]

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Apple's iCloud page says iCloud has "features that give you peace of mind and make sharing simple". But if consumers often find that they can't use iCloud photo sharing, iWork files, keychain, mail, calendar, contacts, etc., they are going to be wary of using the service at all.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've been having this problem for about the last 90 minutes or so. It came back online briefly about 45 minutes ago, but it's down again.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I would like to use iCloud for my email but until Apple allow the option to email from multiple domains it's a no go for me.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
I don't like cloud or web based applications because they add one more link to the chain that can fail producing outages and lower reliability as well as less security. I'll stick with applications that reside on my own hardware and store the data locally. I have my own backup systems as well.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Yosemite

I think it's likely related to iCloud upgrades in the Public Beta. Which works great. I have storage for many apps' data, stored in folders. Great.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Ah, I knew this overused, cliché, and unnecessary quote would be posted in this thread. I'd like to remind you that there isn't a single service or piece of software on the market without bugs and glitches. And iCloud works really well 99.9% of the time.

iCloud erased my mom's entire contacts list. Even worse is that it happened right before iCloud backed up the iPhone (I tried restoring her iPhone backup, no luck). She checked her iPad and her contacts were initially there for 5 seconds and then it went *poof*, completely blank. I checked iCloud.com and it was completely blank. No software should ever, EVER, EVER , I repeat, EVER do that.

Luckily her iPad didn't do the daily backup yet, so I had to restore her iPad from last backup, disconnect from internet, add a dummy contact to the contacts list, reconnect to the internet, and voila, contacts appeared on iCloud and on my mom's iPhone.

so, again, I'll say the overused, cliché, and unnecessary quote:
"It just works."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.