Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac.User

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
I remember when they came out people spoke about their being screen quality issues and the colors not being great.

Has this been solved at all? I am thinking of getting a 16GB Black, WiFi or T-Mobile.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I think its better than all the older iPads. iPad Air was released with an industry leader screen.

No, the iPad 3, 4, and Air all have the same display I believe... I know for a fact that colors look better on an iPad 3 than my Retina Mini, and are extremely similar to the iPad Airs colors. I have one friend that has an iPad Air and another who has an iPad 3. However with the Air there was something they did with using less LEDs to thin out the display of the air, but somehow cranked them up to achieve the same brightness or something. Can't remember.

Anyway, the iPad mini with retina doesn't have atrocious colors like everyone makes it out to have. They just are a little less saturated when comparing to another retina iPad, but you really only notice it when you 1. Compare devices side by side, or 2. Switch between the iPad mini with retina and an iPad 3 or newer, iPod 5th generation, or iPhone 5 or newer. Even with the switching though, you barely notice it unless you, say, set the same wallpaper on both devices. Then you can notice the wallpaper on the iPad mini with retina is a little less saturated, but it definitely is not that bad.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
All fail on my part. I think it has a similar quality screen as the iPad 2 with the exception it's a retina screen.

I actually got to compare an iPad 2 and my retina mini and prefer the retina mini colors. They are more realistic in my opinion, although they are a little bit washed out.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
My rMini is my main device. Yes you can see a difference when you put them side by side, but daily use? I certainly don't notice it or even think about it. The rMini has a magical screen and the IPad Air has a slightly richer magical screen.
Did that clear it up for you?
Seriously the only problem with the rMini is the lack of volume in its speakers. Younger folks don't notice or mention it, but I'm an older guitar player so my hearing is somewhat shot and the iPad Air does sound loud and full whereas the rMini is lacking.

KingKen1986

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
My retina mini's screen is a wonderful thing to behold. Although the colors aren't as bright as the air it has a higher pixel density making anything your looking at seem amazing.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
My rMini is my main device. Yes you can see a difference when you put them side by side, but daily use? I certainly don't notice it or even think about it. The rMini has a magical screen and the IPad Air has a slightly richer magical screen.
Did that clear it up for you?
Seriously the only problem with the rMini is the lack of volume in its speakers. Younger folks don't notice or mention it, but I'm an older guitar player so my hearing is somewhat shot and the iPad Air does sound loud and full whereas the rMini is lacking.

"Magical" screen? What are you people smoking???....

KingKen1986

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
"Magical" screen? What are you people smoking???....

Dude the pixel density is higher than the pixel density on the air...my eyes can actually notice this. It just depends on what you prefer brighter colors or the higher density screen of the retina Mini. I actually prefer the retina minis screen over the airs.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Dude the pixel density is higher than the pixel density on the air...my eyes can actually notice this. It just depends on what you prefer brighter colors or the higher density screen of the retina Mini. I actually prefer the retina minis screen over the airs.

There's only one of me. Never a problem and I like the way it looks. If you don't, then leave it .. Don't look back and quit worrying about it.. Go get something you like and use it.

No problem; everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just was wondering if your iPad display was doing something mine isn't to become "magical" lol. For the record, when it comes to display color quality and pixel count, Android tablets have more than surpassed the iPad. It is no longer the gold standard for tablet displays. I guess they pack more "magic" into their displays these days...;)

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
No problem; everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just was wondering if your iPad display was doing something mine isn't to become "magical" lol. For the record, when it comes to display color quality and pixel count, Android tablets have more than surpassed the iPad. It is no longer the gold standard for tablet displays. I guess they pack more "magic" into their displays these days...;)

Too bad the 16:9 ratio ruins everything.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area

The word magical was coined ny the late Steve Jobs, and I like to use it. The point being that the screen on the RMini is a pleasure to view and use. After owning several android based devices over the years I flat gave up on android. I'm pretty much a geek and have built a couple of computers up from a bare bones shell just to do it. But after they were built, they worked and I did not have to keep,working on them to use them. With every android device, usually tablets, the tweaking was part of the experience. For the record, I don't care how great the screen is if I've got to jump through hoops to see it it's not worth it.
So I'm back to the Apple devices, with their ease of use and razor sharp beautiful screens. I do not go around telling people how bad their tech is, if they can't see what I consider bad... hell, let them live in their bliss. I'm not anti anything but I am pro use. I bought a tablet to read the daily news without having to go out in the rain to get my soggy paper. But then found I could use them for much much more. Key word is use.

Sorry for the rant, nothing personal. I bet the android experience is much better now and I admire the people that stuck with the system and their tenacity to stick with it until they got it to work. Me, I didn't have the patience to do that since Apple was already making something that 'just works' - I just use it.

TomD1

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
My dad has one,

It looks perfect on it's own, however when comparing it to a 5S or whatever, the colours do look off a bit washed out. Not a big problem really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.