Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:40 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Suppliers 'Scrambling' to Produce Enough iPhone 6 Displays After Issues With New Backlight

Apple's supply chain is scrambling to get enough displays ready for the iPhone 6 ahead of its launch next month, reports Reuters.

Front panel said to be from the 4.7-inch iPhone 6
The report notes that production issues were made prevalent when the backlight film for the device's display panel had to be redesigned, halting production for two months:
Quote:
Two supply chain sources said display panel production suffered a setback after the backlight that helps illuminate the screen had to be revised, putting screen assembly on hold for part of June and July. One said Apple, aiming for the thinnest phone possible, initially wanted to cut back to a single layer of backlight film, instead of the standard two layers, for the 4.7-inch screen, which went into mass production ahead of the 5.5-inch version.
After the backlight film component was revised, Apple reportedly rejected it and went back to add the second layer to the panel causing a delay. As it stands, production of the display has resumed as suppliers are attempting to work quickly to make up for lost time before the device's launch.

Concerns over the iPhone 6's backlight design surfaced last month from supply chain, which also suggested that Apple's desire to use only one backlight film to minimize the size of the handset would cause production delays. Current generation iPhone displays are supplied by Minebea and use two layers in order to improve readability in these backlit displays.

In a single layer setup for the device's display, one layer has to be of a very high quality to take the place of the standard second layer. To meet the demand for the part, Apple had allegedly gone to OMRON and Radian to add them as suppliers alongside Minebea, however the outcome of that effort is not known. Previous reports of production issues surrounding the iPhone 6 had pinpointed challenges with the device's in-cell touch panel and metal casings.

Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone 6 at an event on September 9, with a launch for the 4.7-inch version likely come a week later. It is unclear if the 5.5-inch version will ship at the same time, as Apple is also said to be experiencing other production issues with the larger device. Both models of the iPhone 6 will likely feature a thinner, rounded chassis and incorporate a new A8 processor, a refined camera, and iOS 8.

Article Link: Apple Suppliers 'Scrambling' to Produce Enough iPhone 6 Displays After Issues With New Backlight
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:42 AM   #2
Teste
macrumors 6502

Wasn't Cook supposed to be the expert at this kind of thing? Between the ugly design and the supply issues, I Miss Jobs
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:43 AM   #3
thekeyring
macrumors 6502a

An iPhone 6 rumour a day keeps the boredom away.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:44 AM   #4
Milese3
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teste View Post
Wasn't Cook supposed to be the expert at this kind of thing? Between the ugly design and the supply issues, I Miss Jobs
The design won't be ugly. We haven't seen a finished model yet, but expect it to be sexy. Apple will make it that way. The lines will likely fit well with the metal in the finished product.

It's Apple. Design is core.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:46 AM   #5
maflynn

Great, issues with the back light. That makes me want to jump in on the pre-order line. Perhaps this time its not worthwhile to be on the bleeding edge.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:46 AM   #6
VulchR
macrumors 68000

If this rumor is true, I presume a second layer would also consume more energy. Thus, you might see this as a cost of an obsession with thinness - delays, and reduced battery life.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:48 AM   #7
SilianRail
macrumors 6502

Quote:
One said Apple, aiming for the thinnest phone possible, initially wanted to cut back to a single layer of backlight film, instead of the standard two layers, for the 4.7-inch screen, which went into mass production ahead of the 5.5-inch version.
They're willing to torpedo the product over millimeters?
SilianRail is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:49 AM   #8
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milese3 View Post
It's Apple. Design is core.
Awesome pun.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:55 AM   #9
dumastudetto
macrumors 65816

This just guarantees those who want to be holding an iPhone 6 on launch day will have to make sure they are at the front of the queues. If Apple doesn't do pre-orders I'll be camping out for sure.
dumastudetto is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:55 AM   #10
sundog925
macrumors 6502a

Meh.
Expect a rushed product riddled with flaws and defects to satiate public demand.
Think we will ever see the day when a new iPhone doesn't come out every year? God forbid they take their time over say, 2 years!? Oh my!
sundog925 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:57 AM   #11
Dilster3k
macrumors 6502

How about... Just checking if everything works before mass producing a whole bunch of them?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:59 AM   #12
wilhelmer
macrumors member

Quote:
One said Apple, aiming for the thinnest phone possible, initially wanted to cut back to a single layer of backlight film, instead of the standard two layers
Oh, the obsession. This is getting ridiculous.
wilhelmer is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:04 AM   #13
bananas
macrumors 6502

Pushing the limits until you fail is the only way to achieve the maximum.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:07 AM   #14
marvz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilster3k View Post
How about... Just checking if everything works before mass producing a whole bunch of them?
That's brilliant! You should email this to Tim ASAP.

..how people think they are smarter than Apple's best managers and executives.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:10 AM   #15
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvz View Post

Now now marvz, it's quite obvious that the user knows all the ins-and-outs of Apple's supply chain, and isn't making pedantic remarks based on loose rumours.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:13 AM   #16
goobot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog925 View Post
Meh.
Expect a rushed product riddled with flaws and defects to satiate public demand.
Think we will ever see the day when a new iPhone doesn't come out every year? God forbid they take their time over say, 2 years!? Oh my!
You do realize that the numbered models are made over a 2 year period, right?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:20 AM   #17
DoubleU
macrumors regular

'Production issues' is the standard excuse for any vague 'delay' rumour. At some point Apple will have redesigned the backlight and the suppliers will have said that they can manufacture it to that specification. We'll see if there's any 'delay' in September.
DoubleU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:21 AM   #18
Teste
macrumors 6502

I guess what Apple really meant with "'Can't innovate' my ass!" was actually "'Can't make it thinner!' my ass!". Because that's pretty much Apple's plans for iPhone innovation: make it slightly faster, slightly thinner and with a slightly better camera, and call it "revolutionary".

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvz View Post

Well, people do have been saying for years that they want bigger iPhones... And now it looks like Apple's "best managers" agree those people were right!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:24 AM   #19
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Great, issues with the back light. That makes me want to jump in on the pre-order line. Perhaps this time its not worthwhile to be on the bleeding edge.
My thought exactly. Maybe wait until November and see what issues there are. If there are issues maybe they will be resolved or at least addressed in a second 'batch'.
ValSalva is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:37 AM   #20
BriSpe
macrumors member

Quote:
Remember the white iPhone 4? Delayed for month? And I think Jobs were very much involved in that
BriSpe is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:39 AM   #21
marvz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Well, people do have been saying for years that they want bigger iPhones... And now it looks like Apple's "best managers" agree those people were right!
But we are talking about supply chain management and production.
And I also don't think they agree with them, I think they just want more money and marketshare
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:47 AM   #22
thekeyring
macrumors 6502a

It doesn't sound like faulty panels will get shipped, but rather because of a fault the factories are now behind on production. Which, considering Apple placed huuuggeee orders for iPhones, might not be as bad as first thought.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilhelmer View Post
Oh, the obsession. This is getting ridiculous.
I think it hit ridiculous level when Steve Jobs wanted the factory machines painted white, and kept so clean you could eat your dinner off them. However, that's why we love Apple, right?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:51 AM   #23
RightMACatU
macrumors 6502a

Take your time boys... the cheapest way of fixing this is before shipping
RightMACatU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:59 AM   #24
wilhelmer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekeyring View Post
I think it hit ridiculous level when Steve Jobs wanted the factory machines painted white, and kept so clean you could eat your dinner off them. However, that's why we love Apple, right?
I'd take the obsession with white over the obsession with "function-follows-form-thinness" anyday.

Last edited by wilhelmer; Aug 22, 2014 at 09:41 AM.
wilhelmer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 08:01 AM   #25
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Pump and dump. Now that Apple's stock price has gone up, we need some negative rumors for clicks and to cause Apple's stock price to go down so people who short the stock will make lots of money. Expect many more negative rumors.
Plutonius is offline   5 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion